SASS Wire Forum

'Twas the month before Christmas...

Twas the month before Christmas

When all through our land,

Not a Christian was praying

Nor taking a stand.

Why the PC Police had taken away

The reason for Christmas - no one could say.

The children were told by their schools not tosing

About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels andthings.

It might hurt people's feelings, the teacherswould say

December 25th is just a ' Holiday'.

Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checksand credit

Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!

CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-Pod

Something was changing, something quite odd!

Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa

In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.

As Targets were hanging their trees upside down

At Lowe's the word Christmas - was no where tobe found.

At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears

You won't hear the word Christmas; it won'ttouch your ears.

Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty

Are words that were used to intimidate me.

Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, WolfBlitzen

On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton!

At the top of the Senate, there arose such aclatter

To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.

And we spoke not a word, as they took away ourfaith

Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace

The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged anddiscarded

The reason for the season, stopped before itstarted.

So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your'Dream Tree'

Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.

Choose your words carefully, choose what you say

Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS,

not Happy Holiday!

Please, all Christians join together and

wish everyone you meet

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christ is The Reason' for the season!

Can you email that to me?

Can you email that to me?

Hi PBT pard - I can forward you the email I got that from - just PM me your email again if you would - thanks,

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG, you know by now that I am not a Christian. I clicked on the link thinking it would be something else and read of my own volition, though. Oddly, the only knee-jerk response I had was to hope that what I write doesn't get the thread pulled.

For what I am about to write, let's not dwell on any of the historical antecedents and understand everything in its modern usage and context. Someone may think it is hypocritical of me, but I will be putting up a tree, a Christmas tree. I will be opening gifts on Christmas morning. Why? Well, to paraphrase what you said, Jesus is the reason for the holiday. Even without the deification of the person, the teachings are such that they are worthy of celebration. We celebrate the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King, who as a Christian minister worked for civil rights based upon Christian teachings. We celebrate the birth of Washington who gave credit to divine providence for our establishment as a nation. Given the odds against us, that belief is understandable. We celebrate the birth of Lincoln, who also was guided by the teachings of Christ in his efforts both to sustain a nation and to end slavery. Please, no argument about the Civil War here, just bear with me. How is it feasible that we would celebrate these men, yet not celebrate the teachings of the man that inspired them to their greatness? It seems to me nonsensical to argue against it. If one doesn't wish to celebrate, that right is inherent. Does that mean we should celebrate in private, respectful of the right of people to not be offended? Well, no. We should be mindful to not insult someone knowingly, but I refuse to live my life in fear that my words will cause someone distress when I attempt to use common sense in using them.

There is also tradition, which to me is as important as anything else. Traditions are vital in binding us together as a culture. That applies to the culture of today and the ancestral culture that brought us to where we are. If we throw out all traditions, we lose our way as a people, no longer guided by the lessons learned by our elders. We also loose the cohesiveness that keeps cultures together in the present day. Some traditions should be forgotten. But a tradition of peace and goodwill? To do so doesn't make sense to me, and I tend to find the notion unreasonable.

I have no qualms about people saying "Happy Holidays." After all, there is Christmas, the New Year, as well as Chanukah. It can be all encompassing. However, when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I tend to smile and respond "Merry Christmas to you, too."

GG, you know by now that I am not a Christian. I clicked on the link thinking it would be something else and read of my own volition, though. Oddly, the only knee-jerk response I had was to hope that what I write doesn't get the thread pulled.

For what I am about to write, let's not dwell on any of the historical antecedents and understand everything in its modern usage and context. Someone may think it is hypocritical of me, but I will be putting up a tree, a Christmas tree. I will be opening gifts on Christmas morning. Why? Well, to paraphrase what you said, Jesus is the reason for the holiday. Even without the deification of the person, the teachings are such that they are worthy of celebration. We celebrate the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King, who as a Christian minister worked for civil rights based upon Christian teachings. We celebrate the birth of Washington who gave credit to divine providence for our establishment as a nation. Given the odds against us, that belief is understandable. We celebrate the birth of Lincoln, who also was guided by the teachings of Christ in his efforts both to sustain a nation and to end slavery. Please, no argument about the Civil War here, just bear with me. How is it feasible that we would celebrate these men, yet not celebrate the teachings of the man that inspired them to their greatness? It seems to me nonsensical to argue against it. If one doesn't wish to celebrate, that right is inherent. Does that mean we should celebrate in private, respectful of the right of people to not be offended? Well, no. We should be mindful to not insult someone knowingly, but I refuse to live my life in fear that my words will cause someone distress when I attempt to use common sense in using them.

There is also tradition, which to me is as important as anything else. Traditions are vital in binding us together as a culture. That applies to the culture of today and the ancestral culture that brought us to where we are. If we throw out all traditions, we lose our way as a people, no longer guided by the lessons learned by our elders. We also loose the cohesiveness that keeps cultures together in the present day. Some traditions should be forgotten. But a tradition of peace and goodwill? To do so doesn't make sense to me, and I tend to find the notion unreasonable.

I have no qualms about people saying "Happy Holidays." After all, there is Christmas, the New Year, as well as Chanukah. It can be all encompassing. However, when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I tend to smile and respond "Merry Christmas to you, too."

'Merry Christmas' :D

GG, thanks for starting this thread, and, Doc, that is one of the most reasoned, concise and sensible posts I've seen on any subject.

Merry Christmas to both of you and to all the rest of the fine folks, of whatever faith, here in the Saloon (ACS).

GG, Bama, Merry Christmas to the both of you! Although I think we will have plenty of time to say so again before the day rolls around. Also, thanks for the kind words, Bama

I should also admit that, much to the chagrin of friends and family, especially my daughters, I can be found singing Christmas carols and songs just about year round.

GG, Bama, Merry Christmas to the both of you! Although I think we will have plenty of time to say so again before the day rolls around. Also, thanks for the kind words, Bama

I should also admit that, much to the chagrin of friends and family, especially my daughters, I can be found singing Christmas carols and songs just about year round.

hmmmm...maybe...just maybe we might have a 'closet' Christian here :ph34r:

:P

"Christmas" is everywhere at Wal-Mart here B)

Be glad that we live where we do, Jack.

By the way...

I was at a football game in Lindale last Friday night.

Don't you live in or near Lindale?

hmmmm...maybe...just maybe we might have a 'closet' Christian here :ph34r:

:P

:o:lol:

No, if I were, there would be no time spent in the closet except to grab my coat!

I've enjoyed singing them since my time in High School Choir and choral ensemble, where we sang them many times and many places over the season. Great memories associated with them for me, although some are also melancholy as well.

By the way...

I used to love living in Kilgore (and Longview)....just looked at it on Google Maps and it looks like 259 has a diversion around Kilgore right in the backyard of my old apartment (Stoneridge Apts, Kilgore) - that's were I used to walk my dog LOL!!

Alot has changed in 20 years!

Just for laughs

This version is by my son A die hard Steelers fan exiled to Philly

Twas the night before Christmas

And all through the Burgh

The townsfolk were smiling

Only joyous sounds were heard

Black and Gold Stockings were hung by the Chimney with Care

In hopes that Saint Nicholas would soon be there

And Malkin and Sidney lay asleep in their beds

As dreams of Lord Stanely's Cup

Skated through their heads

And Big Ben and the Steelers

With their playoff berth certain

Chuckled knowing all feared

The mighty steel curtain

When out toward the city

I heard such a sound

I ran to the window

To see who was around

"I can't believe it!" I finally said

As up in the sky was the big man in red

And pulling his sleigh

Were his reindeer so tame

And I couldn't help but giggle

As he called them by name

"On Geno, On Mario, Pascal and Fleury"

"On Troy, On Hines, On Myron and Casey"

From the Mon to the Ohio

Down the Allegheny and back

It's time to deliver some presents N'at

He came down the chimney

His sack overflowing

I knew under the tree the gifts would be going

He walked to the table, no cookies on the plate

A fresh Primanti's sandwich was instead what he ate.

He was covered in red

From his head to his brow

And hanging from his waist was a Terrible Towel

He went right to his work

Doing the job only he could do

A Donnie Iris cd for me and Kennywood Tickets for you

And as I noticed his departure grow near

I asked Santa "Could you make the Pirates win, for at least one year?"

He gave me a wink and said "I would if I could"

"But sorry son, even I'm not that good"

When the job was done and he was ready to leave

He tossed his sack up the Chimney with one mighty heave

He jumped in his sleigh and shouted, as he drove out of sight

Merry Christmas to Pittsburgh, Yinz have a good night!!

By the way...

Mineola, 10 miles north of Lindale, you most likely came thru here to get to Lindale.

Archived