SASS Wire Forum

Another stumbling block for the FFL dealers.

Quick Draw Granpaw #48525

INFORMATIONAL...LOOKING FOR CONFORMATION!

Spoke to my FFL go to guy and he informed me that he was quitting due to the

new requirements for FFL dealers. Here goes....Any pistol/revolver purchased

from another state will require "original purchase paperwork" showing the price

the seller paid. Then you would have that taxed at your states rate and added to

the fees you already pay. INFORMATION AND CLARIFICATION (TRUE OR FALSE) WOULD BE

APPRECIATED! My blood pressure is on hold!

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpaw 48525 :blush:

How can the Fed enforce state tax laws?

That's a good question for witch I have no answer.

QDG :blush:

It's a Ca. thing. :angry: Includes ANY gun shipped here ;)

Cheers,

LG

WOW you have to be kidding, California is a Beautiful state my first kid was born, there but they are sure making life difficult on you gun owners and buyers, good luck.

KK

Tell your FFL to stay in business. He can tell the state of Ca. that the seller paid $5 bucks for the gun. What would the sales tax be on $5.00, about 40 cents? What's the dealer gonna do, call the seller a liar? All the FFLs in Ca ought to band together & make this backfire on the state.

PS:

Out of all the guns in my safe I'll bet I couldn't lay my hands on the original purchase paper work of more than 1 or two of em.

Tell your FFL to stay in business. He can tell the state of Ca. that the seller paid $5 bucks for the gun. What would the sales tax be on $5.00, about 40 cents? What's the dealer gonna do, call the seller a liar? All the FFLs in Ca ought to band together & make this backfire on the state.

I believe that is called FRAUD. :o

Add intrastate travel and guns, you just kicked it up to the "feds", you get the idea........ :(

This tax thing here has been in place for years...It's just Ca. has started to enforce it hard in the last year or two.

IT SUCKS.....

Respectfully,

LG

Kid your a gentleman that's for sure! :) Thank you!

QDG/Mike

I believe that is called FRAUD. :o

Add intrastate travel and guns, you just kicked it up to the "feds", you get the idea........ :(

This tax thing here has been in place for years...It's just Ca. has started to enforce it hard in the last year or two.

IT SUCKS.....

Respectfully,

LG

Lumpy, your right about the fraud, but it's the only way you can

make yourself feel just a little more in control! I for one would

never cheat on my taxes ;):wacko::rolleyes: either.

Among its other provisions, the Commerce Clause empowers Congress "to regulate commerce . . . among the several states . . . ." That power extends to state taxation. Exemplary are are several bills pending in Congress now that would authorize states to require that remote sellers (think Internet) collect sales tax from states into which they sell, even if the seller has no physical presence in that destination state. We may not like the result but the cowboy community continually pays respect to constitutional rights and this is one of the provisions we must respect as well. I don't know the provision in question, but Congress certainly has the power to subject FFL transfers to state taxes--leaving enforcement to the affected states.

PS:

Out of all the guns in my safe I'll bet I couldn't lay my hands on the original purchase paper work of more than 1 or two of em.

If he does that the State will go "Sorry, retail price is $$$$ and that is the price that the tax is due upon. California tax laws are written in such a way as to insure that the Franchise Tax Board is able to collect every penny they are entitled to.

the seller paid. Then you would have that taxed at your states rate and added to

the fees you already pay. INFORMATION AND CLARIFICATION (TRUE OR FALSE) WOULD BE

Happy trails

I'm an FFL and i have received nothing form the ATF to indicate this supposed new statute.

Until the ATF sends me a notice it's just rumor as far as I am concerned.First I've heard of this and I speak to FFL's daily

Similar suggested 'rules' of this nature have never been enacted and wre just in the rumor mill.I think the ATF has bigger fish to fry these days.

I'll call ATF and find out though

If true, I'd probably hang it up also

That would be way too much like work!;)

I'm an FFL and i have received nothing form the ATF to indicate this supposed new statute.

Until the ATF sends me a notice it's just rumor as far as I am concerned.First I've heard of this and I speak to FFL's daily

Similar suggested 'rules' of this nature have never been enacted and wre just in the rumor mill.I think the ATF has bigger fish to fry these days.

Shorty, I thank you for the information and the offer to check it out.

Happy trails

QDG/Mike

This is a state sales tax issue and not an ATF issue but it sure effects FFLs

Granpaw, something screwy going on here, as you say you were told about "pistol/revolver" deals. If it were real, it would be about ALL guns, don't ya think? It's about collecting state taxes on internet sales, and someday it will happen. Really its no different that buying at your local store and paying taxes, just that we are used to screwing the states out of money by buying off the internet.

Happy trails

I saw the same letter at Cowboys and Indian Store...Jim called and after five number changes and talking with a lady it seems that this is not new...Its has been around for a while...The state just wants the money...And we get it in the end...Another back door way...

Texas Lizard

I saw the same letter at Cowboys and Indian Store...Jim called and after five number changes and talking with a lady it seems that this is not new...Its has been around for a while...The state just wants the money...And we get it in the end...Another back door way...

Texas Lizard

Interesting...you say you get it in the end...well have you ever thought about your local retailer that has to compete with online companies that can make sales without collecting sales tax?

No?

:FlagAm:

Interesting...you say you get it in the end...well have you ever thought about your local retailer that has to compete with online companies that can make sales without collecting sales tax?

No?

This very true sir but if the tax has been around for quite awhile...Why now are they now enforcing it...There is the possibility that there could be some more coming down the line...

Texas Lizard

This very true sir but if the tax has been around for quite awhile...Why now are they now enforcing it...There is the possibility that there could be some more coming down the line...

Texas Lizard

Oh...I don't know...perhaps the state gov is lacking a bit of money?

They are trying to get Amazon to pony up...guess maybe they need to be more consistant...?

Oh...I don't know...perhaps the state gov is lacking a bit of money?

They are trying to get Amazon to pony up...guess maybe they need to be more consistant...?

Lack or spend too much being consistant would be very nice...You lived here know how they think...If you can call it that...

Texas Lizard

Granpaw, something screwy going on here, as you say you were told about "pistol/revolver" deals. If it were real, it would be about ALL guns, don't ya think? It's about collecting state taxes on internet sales, and someday it will happen. Really its no different that buying at your local store and paying taxes, just that we are used to screwing the states out of money by buying off the internet.

You've got a good point there Jacknife! It feels better doing

the screwing once in a while than getting screwed all the time! :blush:

Happy trails

QDG

Say Grandpa, I don't know who you use, but Valley Gun just did a couple for me. They came from back east and there was no sales tax, although they did have to send their FFL info to the other FFL, but it was no problem. I think they do it by email. However, they charge $75 each with the DROS, but since no sales tax, I figure I came out ahead. Look for me trying out the FCGF class. :)

Howdy,

There is a line on the second page of CA tax form 540 where you enter the amount of tax due on mail order, internet and out of state purchases. I purchased a Ruger OMV off Gunbroker.com this year. The seller was an FFL in VA and the FFL that did the transfer here in CA did not collect sales tax. I will be entering the tax due when I file my 2011 tax forms.

JD

I am an FFL and I have never seen any info from the ATF regarding the collecting of state sales tax. I believe this is a state requirment for both California and Washington state. I say that because I just today sent a rifle to cal and the Cal FFL requested the invoice for tax purposes. Last month I sent one to Washington state and they to ask for the invoice.

Thanks Mr. Shorty ;)

This may have more to do with the states trying to collect taxes on all out-of-state Internet sales, not just guns.

It's the trend now. Many states are attempting to pick up lost revenue from out of state internet and mail order sales. It involves billions of dollars so it's not surprising.

It's the trend now. Many states are attempting to pick up lost revenue from out of state internet and mail order sales. It involves billions of dollars so it's not surprising.

That's exactly what it is...think about it, sales are going on and neither the state where the sale occured nor the state where the consumer is located are collecting any revenue on that sale.

And yes, Washington is collecting taxes on gun transfers too: Washington gun sales

Archived