SASS Wire Forum

'Green' glue vs. JB Weld

Widder, SASS #59054

I was talkin to a Pard the other night and he said something about Green Glue (or Goo).

Anyhow, it appears that this stuff is as good (or better) than JBWeld.

I know that JBW is super strong BUT, it can be chipped off.

I've heard that Green Glue has to be heated and melted off.

Whats the deal with both of these?

thanks

..........Widder

I repaired a hole with JB Weld in a Yamaha dirt bike side cover. When it hardened, I could even unscrew a bolt from one of the lugs I repaired along with the hole. It was big enough to swallow a silver dollar.

I also used it on a dove tail that was too weak to hold a threaded boss for the magtube on momma's lightning.

I also used it to hold a used primer for a front sight on two long guns.

No issues as yet.

Have not tried Green glue.

Widder, are you talking about the one part air dry Green glue used in carpentry. I have used it on wall board and sub flooring to joists, but haven't used the stuff on metal but I'd guess it would work. Dont know how it would act with the chemicals we use around guns if this is the glue your thinking of.

The only "green glue" I'm aware of is one used to repair plastics. It is the JB Weld of plastics, I do know that KW (Kenworth) repair shops use it to attach a metal support to the FRP of the hood. I've been tying to buy some for several years... they won't let it out of their sight! A two part epoxy.

You can't leave out baling wire! ;)

Baling wire is only known to some of us old timers. It was replaced by sisal then plastic. No longer a valid repair item.

Another item that was thought to be irreplaceable was horse shoe nails. My grandfather kept his overhauls together with horse shoe nails in place of buttons.

The Redneck Repair Guide

If it doesn't move and should WD40 it.

If it moves and shouldn't JB Weld it.

If it's in more pieces than it should be Duct Tape it.

I was talkin to a Pard the other night and he said something about Green Glue (or Goo).

Anyhow, it appears that this stuff is as good (or better) than JBWeld.

I know that JBW is super strong BUT, it can be chipped off.

I've heard that Green Glue has to be heated and melted off.

Whats the deal with both of these?

thanks

..........Widder

Widder..

This kinda went off on a tangent...

I'd kinda like to know about your original question...

Anybody got the info?

Rance <_<

J-Bar, thanks fer answerin' the FRP question. And that "multi-hundred-aire"; I don't care who ya are, that was FUNNY!

Baling wire is only known to some of us old timers. It was replaced by sisal then plastic. No longer a valid repair item.

Another item that was thought to be irreplaceable was horse shoe nails. My grandfather kept his overhauls together with horse shoe nails in place of buttons.

Balin' wire ain't as easy to find as it once was... buut for those of us who still use older square bailers, it's a necessity. And horse shoe nails are also still available. I still keep a few sizes in stock... well a couple annyway. But since neither of my horses have been shod in 4 or 5 years, what I got will last a LOOONG time. Maybe not as long as Buck's ride home from CAC...

Archived