SASS Wire Forum

Dillon is the Best

Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655

My trusty CV 500 overheated and quit last week. Heck I bought it in 86 or 7 to replace an orange colored tumbler I had worn out in about 18 mo tumbling HP Match brass 308 and 06 with some pistol thrown in just because I like to shoot. Checked the dillon website. They don't carry CV500 anymore they do have a CV 750. Called dillon and told them my tale of woe. Was informed I can get the unit rebuilt for $104 vs buying new one for $139. Tell the guy will be right down. Had not made a trip to dillon since buying a lefthand IWB 45 holster back in the middle 90s on a trip from El Paso. I get there and the guy tells me the quoted price is for if the unit needs to be shipped in and back and that it should only cost me $65. I am thinking great. He needs to look things up on a computer. Well he finds my record from 3 houses and telephone numbers ago, had to resort to a name look up go figure. Tells me he is going to do the motor replace under warrantee.

Guess when I bought it the tumbler had a lifetime warrantee. They dont have one anymore as dillon buys the motors vs building them so cannot LT warantee. Turns out the original motor for the CV 500 is no longer made by the supplier so dillon started mounting the motor from the CV 2000 (wash tub sized tumbler) in the smaller CV 500 and renamed it a CV 750.

After 15 years I would have gladly paid the $104 for the rebuild, would have thought the $65 price was a smoking deal and ended up being flabergasted that a unit that had given so many years of hard service would be repaired for free and turned in to a more heavy duty unit to boot.

Found several things in the store I could not live without and may find more when I go back to PU unit.

If only the old Lyman T-mag would wear out I could find an excuse for a 550 or 650.

If only the old Lyman T-mag would wear out I could find an excuse for a 550 or 650.

I have both an old Lyman T-mag and a 550 on my loading bench. The T-mag gets used for small batch loading (like 45-70s for Plainsman matches) and the 550 for volume production of pistol caliber ammo. I need both. OK, now tell Santa what you want for Christmas. You've been nice and the jolly old gent will deliver.

Santa already delivered a lot of guns, bullets and reloading dies and equipment like extra turrets this year. Cannot really press my luck much further - this year. Will have to think about reorganization the t-mag, powder measure stand, scale case trimmer and a 20 & 12 Gage Mec loader has space at a premium. Had to pull the vise and bench grinder off.

Archived