SASS Wire Forum

97 problem

Dang It Dan 13202

Ok,

So I admit that I have been bit by the WB bug. I have a dedicated 97 shotgun just for this sport but it intermittenly spits the first round out when I jack the slide especially when I stoke it with more than say four rounds in the tube. I have had my local gunsmith look at it and we can't figure it out. It is a one million+ serial number and is in about 90% condition so it's not worn out by any means.

Anyone else run across this?

Thanks,

Dang It

Is it just spitting the first round out, or is the second round not being stoped by the cartridge stops and kicking round #1out?

I suppose its important to know if it is spitting the round out of the breach or the magazine tube before the lifter drops.

Respectfully

Brimstone

Yeah, sounds like it could be the cartridge stops are either dirty or are bent so they don't get a good grab on the shell coming out of the mag. When you have 5 and 6 in the tube, there's the highest possible mag tube spring pressure present, so those first couple of rounds really come out of the mag at high speed and may be missing the cartridge stop tips.

Good luck, GJ

I had a similar problem and had to adjust the springs that control the tension for the cartridge stops. It took quite a bit of playing around and I had to replace one stop, but I finally got it and it has not been a problem.

Bflo

If your gun will not hold 6 rounds one can either use 2.5 inch BP shells (brand not Black Powder) Dillon has them

or check out Wild Bodie Toms Mag kit, (new spring and follower) 2 types one for Solid frame (shot follower) or TD (a much longer follower)

wildbodietom@q.com or midway USA carries them.

The gun will hold six rounds because we modified the follower and cut three coils off the spring.

And, to be clear, when it does this, it only kicks out the first round in the string. The higher tension of the spring may be over riding the stops so I will look at that (again).

Thanks for the info.

Archived