SASS Wire Forum

OT - GPS for hiking and back packing?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I know this is OT but there's a fair number of cowboy shooters who enjoy the out of doors. For those who use GPS devices, what do you use and why do you like it? My wife and I moved to eastern TN with the Smokies in our back yard. We're enjoying the mountains and think a GPS would be a plus to explore the area.

I appreciate any input that folks can share.

I have an Oregon by Garmin and it was outdated almost as son as I purchased it, these things are worse than computers in that regard. I think it is pretty common now to buy different maps for the type of activity one participates in. We purchased ours to get around the marsh islands in kayaks and those routes change quickly with the tides. Though I thought coastal navigation or inland waters would be better, it turned out that topo worked fine.

I know this is OT but there's a fair number of cowboy shooters who enjoy the out of doors. For those who use GPS devices, what do you use and why do you like it? My wife and I moved to eastern TN with the Smokies in our back yard. We're enjoying the mountains and think a GPS would be a plus to explore the area.

My wife and I use Garmin Rino's. not the most accurate (about 16 feet most of the time) BUT they have a built in radio that is good for line of sight to about 3 miles and about 1 - 1 1/2 miles in Colorados mountains and valleys. Another nice feature is if you get more than one of them from the same family (R120, R140, R160) they will pop up a little map showing the location of all the other GPS's in relation to one another. Handy to have if someone likes to wander away once in awhile.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

For backpacking I use a Garmin Etrex. Very small. You need topos too as there are no internal maps. I use a 76cx when I want a map and you can download maps for that from the website. You can download maps for different parts of the world. Check out their website for those. I normally do not take the Etrex when backpacking, unless I plan to cross country and then I will preset some waypoints so I know where I want to go off the trail.

Charley, you're getting lazy in yore old age. Get out the old land navigation manual, a 1:25,000 topo map, and a compass. You'll be fine. :lol:

(I have a Garmin e-trex) ;)

might be a good reason to upgrade the cell phone. My Droid 2 has several gps programs available, most of the "apps" are free.

I love my Android phone. It's navigation system works pretty well when a car charger is available, however battery life is way to limited for anything other then a backup GPS in the field.

I also use an etrex.

I used a Garmin XL12 for years while backpacking or fishing.I don't think any of them work very well under a canopy of the trees.Just don't leave your compass and topo at home.

I use the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. There are many maps available, and also a lot of free maps on the internet. Various after market mounts allow use with auto and motortorcycle.

Snakebite

I use the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. There are many maps available, and also a lot of free maps on the internet. Various after market mounts allow use with auto and motortorcycle.

Snakebite

I have used the 60CS for years and just upgraded to the 62CS, in my opinion one of the best on the market. I use mine almost every day and have done a lot of back country with it.

How about map and compass...Low tech, but working for a good number of years...

Texas Lizard

Costco has a solar battery charger for Cells sometimes that would make the Droid or other smart phone a not bad option. GPS can eat some batteries pretty quickly.

+1 for a good topo map as well perhaps that is the old infantry training coming out.

Archived