SASS Wire Forum

Shot size and effectiveness

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

Some times you go to a shoot and they have some difficult shotgun targets to get down, my question is does shot size matter will a number 6 shot put it down better than 8 or 9 just curious if it mattered.

Thanks

KK

On the one hand, it would seem that a larger shot size would impact the target with more energy to knock it down.

For me, I figure the smaller the shot size, the more pellets per ounce the more likely I am to get the proverbial golden bb to take down the target.

Shot size.......Lead pellets per ounce

7 1/2...........338

The above was found HERE

edit to try and make the chart readable

Physics says 7/8 Oz or 1 1/4 Oz shot will arrive "on target" with consistent energy regardless of shot size. A target that is fair hit won't care what the shot size is.

The difference in shot size will only come into play when, for all practicle purpose, you miss. The mass of the shot load mowes the grass and you only catch the target with a few "golden" BBs.

The only other time shot size will matter is well beyond CAS distances. Heavier shot will retain it's energy for a greater distance.

Coffinmaker

Physics says 7/8 Oz or 1 1/4 Oz shot will arrive "on target" with consistent energy regardless of shot size. A target that is fair hit won't care what the shot size is.

The difference in shot size will only come into play when, for all practicle purpose, you miss. The mass of the shot load mowes the grass and you only catch the target with a few "golden" BBs.

The only other time shot size will matter is well beyond CAS distances. Heavier shot will retain it's energy for a greater distance.

Coffinmaker

+1

3/4 oz featherlight loads of 7 1/2 or 8 shot will knock down/ break/ crush anything in SASS. PERIOD.... even if you personally have problems with steer targets at CAC! :lol:

When my son was shooting skeet tournaments we were told to always use #9 shot - more pieces of lead = more chances for the golden BB. Nowadays the local supplier mostly gets #8, so that's what we use for CAS. If a target won't go down with a 10 ga. black powder load, it's on the shooter, not the size of the shot!

Count Sandor

3/4 oz featherlight loads of 7 1/2 or 8 shot will knock down/ break/ crush anything in SASS. PERIOD.... even if you personally have problems with steer targets at CAC! :lol:

What steer head?

KK

#6 shot is about all I use anymore. I was pointed in that direction by Spur Roberts.

OkD

+1

Yep ... the energy the shot retains is primarily a function of its size, weight ... Larger diameter shot size retains its energy more effectively. #6 works GUD ... 3/4oz #6 works really GUD ...

There are some nice charts at the end of this article ... (just for comparision) ...

http://randywakeman.com/ShotgunPowertheMyth.htm

They show 4 - 7 1/2 leaving the muzzle at 1200 fps ... and it is interesting to see that just by changing shot size you have can have a wide difference in "energy" leaving the muzzle ... as well as at 10yds.

Of course ... more energy is good for knock downs ... but a big load (swarm) of 9's is probably a better bet for flying charcoal and such. :)

When my son was shooting skeet tournaments we were told to always use #9 shot - more pieces of lead = more chances for the golden BB. Nowadays the local supplier mostly gets #8, so that's what we use for CAS. If a target won't go down with a 10 ga. black powder load, it's on the shooter, not the size of the shot!

Howdy

Hitting a clay pigeon traveling at 35mph and knocking down a stationary CAS target are two entirely different things. With the flying clay the pattern needs to be dense enough that the target cannot sail through the target unscathed. And don't forget, the rules in all the clay sports are different than in CAS. To count as a hit in any of the clay sports you actually have to break the target. A target that clearly bounces when hit by a few pellets is counted as a miss unless a visible piece breaks off. It's a miss if a cloud of dust is raised off the target by a few pellets hitting it and it is a miss if one pellet punches a tiny hole through the target. Unless the target clearly breaks, it is a miss. The idea of the 'golden BB' is a myth. Generally you need to hit a clay with several pellets to be assured of a hit. Just one and you may not break a piece off. When the target is smashed to smithereens, it has been hit by dozens of pellets. So with any clay sport, the pattern needs a balance of enough pellets to provide density without leaving holes that the target can sneak through, and big enough pellets to maintain velocity out to the target.

None of this is an issue in CAS. The targets are plenty close, I don't care what some article says, you just will not bleed off enough velocity from a load of #8 pellets to prevent a knock down from falling from the distances we shoot. No matter what size pellets you use, you will put the same percentage of them on the target whether you use #4 or #8. If your choke puts 50% of a 1 ounce load of #4 pellets on the target, it will also put 50% of a 1 ounce load of #8 pellets on the target. And 10 yards away is not enough to make any significant difference in velocity. If they ain't going down, the first thing to look at is whether or not your gun is hitting where you think it is. Forget about pellet size.

I've always used 9 shot for no particular reason other then I might get a hit on a popper, need all the help I can get, plus they filter down into the carpet better then anything bigger when I spill it. :lol:

Archived