SASS Wire Forum

SXS Trigger swap. Double to SST.

RAWHIDE RED, SASS # 7076 L

Guest diablo slim shootist

Why not just make a trade on the wire to someone who has one in single configuration?

most shooters have had trouble with their single trigger Stoegers anyway.Gunslinger finnaly got my stoeger single to work but its an exception to the rule I think.I own a SKB now for a back-up just in case ;):lol::P Your old pard Diablo

P.S.(come shoot with us soon we got a lot of Greenhorns who need suff)

Why not just make a trade on the wire to someone who has one in single configuration?

most shooters have had trouble with their single trigger ones anyway.Gunslinger finnaly got my stoeger single to work but its an exception to the rule I think.I own a SKB now for a back-up just in case ;):lol::P Your old pard Diablo

P.S.(come shoot with us soon we got a lot of Greenhorns who need suff)

Be careful making the statement "most shooters have had trouble with their single triggers". I for one have not! I have 2 SKB's that I have shot 1,000's of rounds thru without a problem. For that matter, I' don't remember anyone I know shooting Brownings or SKB's that have had a problem with the triggers. More a matter of quality of the gun me thinks.

Be careful making the statement "most shooters have had trouble with their single triggers". I for one have not! I have 2 SKB's that I have shot 1,000's of rounds thru without a problem. For that matter, I' don't remember anyone I know shooting Brownings or SKB's that have had a problem with the triggers. More a matter of quality of the gun me thinks.

I had a SKB that would "DOUBLE" on me. Pull the trigger once and BOTH barrels would fire. Factory had to replace the trigger. :o

On some of the 'new' single triggers, noticed one fellow who shot light loads and the initera trigger would no reset for the second shot. He had to 'bump' the stock to shoot the next round. What happens if the first round doesn't go off and there is no 'recoil' to reset the trigger for next round. Seen it happen more than once. B)

Both of mine were set up by Johnny Meadows and if the triggers are set right, no problems.

I have a high grade Spanish (AYA) sidelock double that started doubling on me. The trrggers were dirty after many years of use. Cleaned them up and no problems since. My Ruger O/U has had no problems as my Browning Superposed too.

Once the triggers are set up properly for SASS shooting, no problems. :wub:

Well, I believe it's safe to say that the lower end guns like Baikals and Stoegers have some real problems with their single trigger design. You would be trying to put a silk purse on that sow, trying to make a problematic design for single trigger work on those lower end shotguns.

If you want a single trigger gun that works well, a BSS or SKB is REALLY the way to go. Then you have a top quality gun, with a good single trigger, that will run with no or very few bobbles. Just keep the loads heavy enough (7/8 ounce featherlite type velocity works in ours) to reset the Ithaca SKB's inertial trigger.

You will likely spend less on an SKB than you do on a low end gun, trying to get a single trigger working, if it were originally built with a double trigger. Back in the early 1900s, shotgun gunsmiths would put in the type of trigger that a SxS shooter wanted (double, single, even a release). The price on getting that done usually doubled the price of the basic gun. And what do you end up with? A gun that costs like an SKB, but will be worn out in about 5 years of cowboy shooting.

"When you don't see many other folks paddling their canoes in the direction you think you want to go, you ought to ask yourself if you really know what you're doing."

Good luck, GJ

On some of the 'new' single triggers, noticed one fellow who shot light loads and the initera trigger would no reset for the second shot. He had to 'bump' the stock to shoot the next round. What happens if the first round doesn't go off and there is no 'recoil' to reset the trigger for next round. Seen it happen more than once.

If its that big a concern get a mechanical single trigger vice inertial.

As for inertial triggers not working with very light loads, I've got a Browning Superlight in .410 that has been shot ALOT with 1/2oz skeet loads and never failed to set the second barrel.

If its that big a concern get a mechanical single trigger vice inertial.

As for inertial triggers not working with very light loads, I've got a Browning Superlight in .410 that has been shot ALOT with 1/2oz skeet loads and never failed to set the second barrel.

Like I said...they need to be setup correctly!

Even the big name shotguns will not fire reliably with black powder. It seems the push is not sharp enough to fire them as designed.

I still say that people are giving Stoeger a bad name on single triggers, at least on the current models.

The newer models have mechanical triggers, and require absolutely NO recoil to reset. Secondly the old problem of doubling simply won't happen if they don't receive "Kitchen Table" gunsmithing on the sears and hammer springs.

I own a late model single trigger Coach Gun Supreme that works absolutely perfectly. Hasn't failed in any way for the year and a half it's been in service. Yes, the trigger pull is a bit heavy, but you get used to that. Screwing with the sears, or lightening the hammer springs is a good way to cause problems. Leave them alone and you probably won't have any problems with the single triggers.

I have another Stoeger Coach gun with double triggers. Works just fine too. However I don't like it as well as the single trigger model, so it get's little use. I keep it for a backup, which I probably don't really need.

Bottom line is that I have two very serviceable guns that work perfectly, for way less money than 1 of the "preferred" makes or models cost.

RBK

Even the big name shotguns will not fire reliably with black powder. It seems the push is not sharp enough to fire them as designed.

That is where the BSS is so fantastic. Mechanical reset rather than inertia!

Good luck, GJ

I had a SKB that would "DOUBLE" on me. Pull the trigger once and BOTH barrels would fire. Factory had to replace the trigger. :o

On some of the 'new' single triggers, noticed one fellow who shot light loads and the initera trigger would no reset for the second shot. He had to 'bump' the stock to shoot the next round. What happens if the first round doesn't go off and there is no 'recoil' to reset the trigger for next round. Seen it happen more than once. B)

Were these guns set up by a good gunsmith for CAS? If not, it is not worth anything.

Guest diablo slim shootist

You need to reread my post Big guy :huh: (I own a great little SKB and I do not really use it as my back up) ;)

When set up properly all SKB's should consistantly fire black powder loads. Just ask Doc Pain. I think he just won FCD at CaC with an SKB. I believe the guy he beat shoots one too.

When set up properly all SKB's should consistantly fire black powder loads. Just ask Doc Pain. I think he just won FCD at CaC with an SKB. I believe the guy he beat shoots one too.

I shoot 100% BP and have never had a problem with my SKBs.

That aint right! You all hijacked Rawhide Red's thread.

He was askin for help and you all took it somewhere else.

OkD

:lol::lol: Love it. GJ

(Mine broke a month ago. Took me a wekk to gey a nwe pairj. And i woek on computers a;; dau libf.)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I have a SKB, a BSS or two and several other shotguns... ;)

Now, it just ain't worth the trouble to swap the trigger on the Stoeger. The single triggers are by and large troublesome. You would be better served to buy a double trigger (Stoeger) and swap the front and rear (if you are right handed).

Now back to your regularly scheduled SKB, BSS love fest...

That aint right! You all hijacked Rawhide Red's thread.

He was askin for help and you all took it somewhere else.

OkD

Ya and nobody bothered to tell ole Red, that single trigger guns are slower than double trigger guns......sheeesh

boss

The Stoger single trigger is mechanical. I have a Stoger Supreme and think it is a great little gun for about half the price of and SKB or BSS. The trigger is so simple in it's operation that short of something actually breaking, I don't see how it could give a problem.

As far a converting from a double to single trigger, the floorplate (may not be the right name but I'm talking about the place where the triggers come out) is cut differently between the two designs. While anything could be done if you're willing to pay for it, the double to single trigger conversion doesn't look feasible to me. It would take some machine work and would probably cost more than the gun is worth, unless you do all the work yourself. (In which case you probably wouldn't be asking the question.)

Archived