SASS Wire Forum

What Size Shot Is Legal/Recommended For 12 Gauges in SASS?

PCS

I know the loads are light, but what do most shooters use as far as 12 gauge shot? Are there any 12 gauge loads that are easy on kids? I am looking to buy some practice loads.

Thank you!

Look at the Reduced Recoil loadings by Winchester, Remington and Federal.

HI PaRD

Most of us use 7& 1/2 shot and 8 shot, most of us load our own shells and they are light and any kid can use them there is very little recoin. But the still knock down the targets we can not give you the recipe on line but if you email me i will give it to you.

Good Luck

Connecticut Yankee

rminer4712@aol.com

Howdy

From the shooter's handbook:

"Shotgun shot size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or

plated shot).

Magnum and high velocity shotgun shell loads are not allowed."

However, be aware that although #4 shot or smaller is CAS legal, many clubs have a local rule requiring smaller shot. Some clubs limit shot size to 7 1/2 or smaller. Stick with #7 1/2 or #8 and you will be welcome anywhere.

Also, 'Magnum and high velocity shotgun shell loads' are not well defined at all. There is no official velocity or power limit for shotgun shells in CAS, just the nebulous terms 'Magnum and High Velocity', which is meaningless. Some of us shoot full power Black Powder loads, which are completely legal. But there is no official definition of what constitutes Magnum or High Velocity. Many shooters do use very light loads in CAS. Personally, on the rare occasion that I shoot Smokeless in CAS I shoot 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 ounce loads. Many shooters think these have too much recoil, but they are completely legal. So are 3 dram loads. But many shooters shoot very light loads in their shotguns.

Guest diablo slim shootist

The best way to get low recoil loads for kids is to make your own.

A Lee load all press and some 3/4 oz loads over a small charge of black

powder are easy to produce -or you can use a light load of Clays if

you want smokeless ;) I taught a young gal to shoot a shot gun this week

with a 20 gage Skb-and hand made loads with very little recoil-She was afraid

of the 12 gage shotgun -just do not use factory 20 gage field loads (they kick worse

that low recoil 12 AAs. ;)

I see more shooters using Winchester AA12FL8 than any other reduced recoil load. This shell is nicknamed the Featherlight because of the feather printed on each shell. However it is called a low noise, low recoil target load. As SS said the major ammo manufacturers all make reduced recoil ammo. However, with a 26 gram load of shot moving less than 1,000 fps, the AA12FL8 is about as mild as you can buy. They shuck well too. If reloading you can duplicate this load for a 50% savings.

This is the Winchester shotgun shell that Canby is talking about:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/19290

They can sometimes also be found at your local Walmart or Dick's Sporting Goods, if there is one nearby.

As Canby said, this is by far the factory loaded shell of choice in CAS. For children and young teens shooting 12 gauge, these are definitely the least abusive. As far as shot size goes, you will need to check with your local gun club to see if they have a shot size limitation over and above the SASS rules, as Driftwood mentioned. If you purchase the Winchester low recoils, they mainly come in 7 1/2 or 8 size shot.

Mean Matt,

Those Winchester shells you posted the link for are the ribbed ones not the smooth ones. I and others have had trouble with them dropping out of our double guns. You want the Winchester # AA12FL8, low noise, low recoil shells.

TB

I see more shooters using Winchester AA12FL8 than any other reduced recoil load. This shell is nicknamed the Featherlight because of the feather printed on each shell. However it is called a low noise, low recoil target load. As SS said the major ammo manufacturers all make reduced recoil ammo. However, with a 26 gram load of shot moving less than 1,000 fps, the AA12FL8 is about as mild as you can buy. They shuck well too. If reloading you can duplicate this load for a 50% savings.

+1

Mean Matt,

Those Winchester shells you posted the link for are the ribbed ones not the smooth ones. I and others have had trouble with them dropping out of our double guns. You want the Winchester # AA12FL8, low noise, low recoil shells.

TB

Ahhh, so they are! My deepest apologies, I thought I had the correct ones.

Archived