SASS Wire Forum

Any word yet, on the

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Might be a bit early but I am thinking perhaps some of the locals who were there might be arriving home with some info pretty soon. Most of the shooters I talked with yesterday were a bit tentative but one top gun did tell me he had a good feeling.

OH NO, not MR 'I haven't shot in six months' Ray? Way to go big guy, I'm beginning to think you own the SE and now we gatta take up a collection to get you across the Old Mississippi! Congratulations to all who participated and I enjoyed seeing those of you with whom I got to spend a moment.

Gunfight At Givhans Ferry Scores

Still coordinating for the side match and Costume contest results.

Update. There were posted, but the program had a glitch. Have to coordinate with CD Tom about that.

I'm working on correcting the problem with the scores and should have them in the next day or so.

I've also emailed Givhans Ferry leadership about the problem.

Thanks to Santa Fe River Stan for finding discovering problem.

But.....he was on the "Lucky Posse".......ask RRR about it.....it works! ;)

Too bad not all the posse leaders and RO's followed the rules, this made for a VERY unfair match . And thats all Ive got to say about that..............

Too bad not all the posse leaders and RO's followed the rules, this made for a VERY unfair match . And thats all Ive got to say about that..............

As a possee leader myself, you better either single out an offender or retract your VERY blanket statement. You should probably take your sour grapes with you as well.

Tha statememt Bill made was tongue in cheek, an inside joke between two who love ta poke each other, Thats a fact!

Now ! that CAD O LAC has done been titled in NC! :)

I Gar O. tee you no one did anything on purpose, scoring or otherwise to hurt anyone at this match. If I did not win out right I'll gladly pay tha shipping on tha buckle to whomever did.

Had a great weekend with friends. Ta tell tha truth I had a dam ball with em

RRR

As a possee leader myself, you better either single out an offender or retract your VERY blanket statement. You should probably take your sour grapes with you as well.

I wasn't there, but I agree with Fireball. I am sure everyone involved in putting on this match feels horrible about the scoring snafu. Your type of sniping serves no purpose.

I was the Berm Marshall on stage 1 and while I may not have observed every single shooter I did see the vast majority as they shot my stage. I was never aware of any posse marshall failing to call shooters for being out of the box. Bill did jokingly state that he was not going to call any one for being out of the box but it was just that...a joke. He's a joker until he gets the timer in his hand.As many times as I heard, "feet" or "box" yelled by an RO or a spotter the rule was enforced by everyone, and I mean everyone.

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

I agree with what Fireball stated and I was also a Posse Marshal and had a good bunch of folks and we all watched out for each other. Had a few problems with the "boxes" but don't appreciate the comment made. Remember folks this is a "game" we are all human and things happen. As RRR stated nothing was done on purpose.

Chance Ramsay

The match is over and done with and Im not gonna call out any names here. But there were some shooters NOT called for foot fault infractions, and two I witnessed personally. I was not singling out Bill or his posse, just making a statement as to what I saw. The foot fault is impossible to call fairly accross the board. We needed a 4th spotter just to watch peoples feet, REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Its pretty tough being of above average height and being told you HAVE to shoot from a box smaller than your normal shooting stance. I'm sure it will be different next year but I will always refer to this match as the "foot fault debacle", it just makes it unfair some for someone with a wide stance to be forced to shoot like that.

As far as my sour grapes, they're mine and I can do with them as I please, but thanks for you opinion.

Southeast Regional Scores

The corrected scores were reposted this morning.

There were a few shooters impacted slightly by a program bug.

If the screen shows 2010, do a screen refresh. They are the current scores.

The match is over and done with and Im not gonna call out any names here. But there were some shooters NOT called for foot fault infractions, and two I witnessed personally. I was not singling out Bill or his posse, just making a statement as to what I saw. The foot fault is impossible to call fairly accross the board. We needed a 4th spotter just to watch peoples feet, REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Its pretty tough being of above average height and being told you HAVE to shoot from a box smaller than your normal shooting stance. I'm sure it will be different next year but I will always refer to this match as the "foot fault debacle", it just makes it unfair some for someone with a wide stance to be forced to shoot like that.

As far as my sour grapes, they're mine and I can do with them as I please, but thanks for you opinion.

There's a big difference between accusing people of not following the rules and stating a stage setup is hard to call fairly. Your first statement implies people deliberately called the match unfairly, your second is a complaint about stage design. So now you've made statements that cast a shadow on every posse Marshall who participated, call the integrity of the match into question, AND complain about stage design. :huh:

I never complained about stage design or called out EVERY RO. What I did was point out a simple fact that it was impossible to call every shooter fairly, and point out the fact that having shooting boxes as small as they were was unfair to shooters with a wide stance. Its funny that every place I went after each days shooting that the topic of most of the conversations was the foolish shooting boxes. And on this here wire you get crucified for telling the truth.

The boxes were an unfortunate situation that ultimately resulted in inconsistencies in how "fair" the match was from one shooter to the other. Now, you can say that all shot the same match and in a sense that is true, BUT a shooter like myself who stands and shoots with one foot forward of the other...had an easier time staying in the boxes than a shooter whose normal stance is an isosceles or modified isosceles. For some it was impossible to stand in their normal stance and shoot without getting out of the box. Personally, even though my stance kept me in every box, I found myself shooting thinking, "Are my feet in the box?!"

Beyond that, whether anyone wants to admit it publicly or takes offense to someone else pointing it out, there were inconsistencies in application of the "feet in the box" from one posse to the other. My posse was a stickler and beginning with the very first shooter on the very first stage, a "P" was given to a shooter who started behind a table and as he pulled the first gun moved his foot left and his toes went outside the box. Now, was that done on every posse? Well, the words by one very experienced shooter used to describe what occurred on their posse was "inconsistently applied." What does this mean to me? It means that some were torn about penalizing someone for...getting one of their feet outside a sometimes tiny box. Let me raise my hand here and tell you that I was among those. To my knowledge everyone who managed to get a toe out on my posse was called, but I was told by someone I believe to be a very reliable source that before we hang Jake Mountain, some photos need to be burned.

Does this mean that the folks who called the "P's" or could not bring themselves to call a "P" were bad, cheaters, or hardasses or whatever negative term we can think of? No. By the same token it does not make a person who points out that the "rules" were not applied consistently bad either. Personally, I would have voted to ban the boxes as they accomplished nothing other than giving "P's" to shooters who were standing in the position they should be with no attempt to gain an advantage.

In my opinion, when berm marshals are telling the TO's that they should be watching the shooter's feet, we've lost sight (no pun intended) of what we should be watching and that is the guns. I DID witness that personally and more than once.

Let me state that I do not think the match designers were attempting to be "bad" either, but ladies and gentlemen, the boxes created a bad situation and in my opinion we should not be so quick to pile on someone who has the guts to say it out loud. I talked to bunches of people who were of the same opinion and I did not have to raise the subject.

Do we really want a big discussion about this or do we want to just accept that the boxes were an extremely bad idea? Jake Mountain simply said what a pile of people thought...but would not say...in front of a crowd. Call it guts, call it balls, call it what you may, but stating what is wrong with a match is as important as hearing what is right.

I would like to consider it settled and move on, sometimes the bad taste will pass quicker when we turn our minds elsewhere. You can bet that 'if' the match should remain in Charleston, there have been lessons learned BUT the clock can not be turned back on this one I fear.

NO, sometimes a box is used to keep shooters in a specific shooting location and prevent a migration from it. It has been acknowledged in another post that the issue has been noted and will be addressed in the future. Nothing wrong with a shooters box but like the old complaints concerning windows, the size must be large enough to accommodate all shooters, either short or tall, equally.

Bad Hand,

The "Box" consists of lines painted on the ground. It is not a physical box you stand in. Using them, is a lesson learned and to be avoided in the future.

The Boxes are sometimes a good way to indicate a position needed which is not indicated by a table or some other prop in front of it. Stage 6 was a good example of a box or starting stone being needed. I felt like the box was used to the point where it became the focus of the Stage officials and distracted from the shoot. Stage 9 was made a safety hazzard due to watching the boxes instead of the props and the hole in the 2nd stop instead of a very fun stage.

I would like to thank all who worked hard and all who won by shooting this event.

Just the view from my rocking horse.

McKenzie

First - Congrats to RRR for another one.......you EARNED it PARD!

Second - Jake's delivery may have needed some polishing but his point is valid. Anyone that thinks ALL the foot fault infractions were called like they were supposed to be is very NAIVE.......was it done with malicious intent? ........Probably not.......who knows.....who cares.......Hopefully it's a lesson learned for ALL of us.

Stan

...... Jake's delivery may have needed some polishing but his point is valid. Anyone that thinks ALL the foot fault infractions were called like they were supposed to be is very NAIVE.......was it done with malicious intent? ........Probably not.......who knows.....who cares.......Hopefully it's a lesson learned for ALL of us.

Stan

I've never been to a state or above match where some "situations" occurred, that fall into the "questionable" call category, didn't get brought up or in someones opinion dealt with incorrectly. The difference is, usually, everyone understands that our style of competition and how we score and monitor our participants is often subjective. The boxes clearly added to that this past weekend. Anyone not playing within the rules probably knows what they are doing. I'm content to let them live with their conscience. I'm not a big fan of Cadillacs anyway, all you big guys need those ;)

This shoot seemed to be under new leadership from last year. Last year had similar issues that apparently didn't get passed on. Hopefully some consistency in leadership will allow them to fine tune what was for the most part a great shoot this year. Only time will tell, but JM Brown assured me the boxes were "gone".

And Bull, you're my GIANT pal. See if Ray will loan you the Cadilllac :P

Fire "what's waiting to hit his growth spurt" ball

Archived