SASS Wire Forum

More fence down to the wind

Grizzly Dave

Yesterday we lost two or three sections to the winds that were clocked at nearly 100 MPH in the area. Over night, we lost 6-8 more sections, any glimmer of hope that I could cobble it back together has faded. It's over 20 years old and needs to be totally replaced.

Hello Mr. Banker, can I borrow yet more money?

Grizz

We live in the city and the road behind us carries quite a bit of traffic, before the city tore down their aging 8 ft fence, it didn't really bother us, with only our 6 ft fence it bothered us a bit, with no fence it is bad for my blood pressure.

What are you fencing in or out?

In Westen Kansas I see a lot of cattle being fenced in with nothing more than a hot wire and stakes.

My father-in-law fenced his fields with t-posts. t-post driver and grandsons. Said something about keeping them too busy to get into trouble and build character. They are all adults now and won't get anywhere close to a t-post. :lol:

As I said, we are in the city, we are fencing our dog and privacy in, and everything else out.

I will be calling insurance tomorrow, rest assured. But as the fence is over 20 years old, I doubt they'll do much.

For those who may be following along at home, or want to bid on the replacement (LOL) I went out and measured. We have a total of 255 ft of fence along the back of our yard. Currently about 80 ft of it is down, and much of the rest of it is holding on by a thread.

12 feet I'd do myself, 255 ft, not so much. Maybe when I was a younger man.

Have the dog set up so that we can clip him on a lunge line from my long since sold horse so he can get out and do his business.

Grizz

What I am thinking , is to use the T posts to prop up what is there . If you were to put a couple of post per section , with 1 1/2 to 2 ft underground , should be what for stout .

Put the spade side towards the fence , you can bend them , but , it takes some effort .

Just a thought , I propped up a gate post several years ago with 3 t posts , it is still standing and the gate still swings .

CB

I cyphered it out, 255 feet of fence, posts set no more than 4 feet apart, plus end posts comes to right at about 65 posts.

I'm gonna hire it done. Prelim estimate, with 4x6 posts and 8 ft tall pickets is around ten grand. I have tomorrow off and will go talk to the bank. We got a boat load of equity in our house so that will secure the loan. Life goes on.

I cyphered it out, 255 feet of fence, posts set no more than 4 feet apart, plus end posts comes to right at about 65 posts.

I'm gonna hire it done. Prelim estimate, with 4x6 posts and 8 ft tall pickets is around ten grand. I have tomorrow off and will go talk to the bank. We got a boat load of equity in our house so that will secure the loan. Life goes on.

Hmmmmm...4X6's at 4' apart? That's a stout fence.

I built a 6' privacy fence in Dallas, TX almost 20 years ago with 4X4's on 8' centers that's still standing today.....and the wind DO blow in Dallas. Ya gotta concrete the posts though or it will wander a bit (soil dependent, of course).

Chick

Chick - several reasons for the 4x6 posts, first we will be going 8 foot tall, second, we are in an area where high winds do blow, during this past wind storm there were sustained winds clocked at about 100 MPH with gusts up to 146 MPH.

While we are planning to move within a year or two, I still want to do it right.

That is alot of money to put out for a fence when you are planning on moving, I know you have been talking about moving for quite a spell now and was getting things updated for the new owner, are you sure you want to put that much money out for a fence and then try to sell, around here houses are not going very good, some are taking some pretty good losses to sell their house, now IMHO a fence isn't going to help sell your house any quicker, at least I wouldn't think so, but I don't know your area either.

What about insurance, what did they say, doesn't make any difference if it's 20 years old, that is what you pay insurance for???

Ok, I said what I thought, your house, you can do what you want, like I said I don't know the area or location, just giving you MHO, take it or leave it, most folks don't listen to me anyway :D :D :D

All for now JD Trampas

JD, you make a point, here's where I'm coming from....

There used to be a city owned 8 ft fence that blocked nearly all view of the 4 lane road behind the back yard. They tore it down. Without that fence, both the view of the road, and the noise was much increased. The road actually sits a little higher than the floor of the main floor of the house. In the current market for my city, and the type of house, lack of a barrier to the road of at least 8 feet would have a negative impact on the value and salability of my house by approx. 50k. So, spending 10k for the fence is worth it. Still a gamble, but worth it in my mind. Our old 6 ft fence going down in the wind just solidifyed the decision to replace it with an 8 ft fence.

WOW! 100 mph+ winds is a lot of wind. Usually you will not recoop your cost when you sell your home. Clearly your area is lot different if a privacy fence add $50k to its value.

In fact according to the latest news today home prices are expected to continue to decline for the next 12 -18 months so it would be a good idea to talk to a relator. We thought about selling our home (and still might) and found a relator real useful on what improvements increase the chances of selling our home. It is just a lot of dang work painting, cleaning and getting rid of the clutter while not being able to live like real people in our home. Hopefully your area is different.

I see where you are coming from Grizz, its a shame the city tore the fence down, not sure why they did, I know around here with Interstate 35 going thru basically the center of town, the city put up fences ( barricades ) so to speak to hold down the noise level, not the whole length of 35, just where it was close to housing, alot of complaints from housing and the city responded with these barricades to help out with the noise level, I do believe it took some time for the city to do this, there was alot of discussions on this from both sides and the housing won so to speak.

Good luck on your new fence

All for now JD Trampas

Seldom Seen, we've been talking with a realtor for some time, not to worry. And actually our area has not seen a big drop in values. Location location location.

JD, the city put up the fence about 25 years ago when the widened and move the road closer to our yard, it was in need of replacement and rather than come up with the money to do so and honor their unwritten commitment to mitigate the effect of moving the road, they chose to tear it down.

Grizzley Dave,

Having left the city over 10 years ago I understand your desire to leave Dodge. It sounds like you are sitting in a very unique situation by being able to sell high and buy low in a depressed area. :)

Being a diy type I am curious as to what style of fence withstands your winds best.

Archived