SASS Wire Forum

Whats This Call?

Widder, SASS #59054

A shooter starts a match as a GF.

During the match, lets say at the end of the 1st day of shootin, he/she breaks a thumb or has a reoccuring medical problem with the hand that prevents using one of the hands to shoot GF and has to finish the match using one hand to shoot both pistols....duelist style.

Or even a 5 stage match and a similar situation pops up during the middle of the match.

Could the shooter finish the match as a duelist without being penalized for shooting out of category?

..........Widder

Nice one.

Match directors discretion.

If allowed with out penalty, I would feel that he should continue to be scored in the GF category, as shooting single duelist is not a competitive advantage. Where as shooting GF for half a match would be a competitive advantage if scores were lumped in with duelists.

I believe that there is no reason a shooter registered as a GF can't shoot duelist if the shooter so chooses.

Only "gunfighter style" or double duelist according to the rules.

GUNFIGHTER

• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

• Only Gunfighter Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.

• “Gunfighter Style” is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right handed and the other left handed.

Shooter handbook page 14

The hitch being he is having to shoot the pistols with the same hand, which isn't allowed in GF. If it happened to me I would either withdraw or shoot as a Duelist and take the penalties.

During the match, lets say at the end of the 1st day of shootin, he/she breaks a thumb or has a reoccuring medical problem with the hand that prevents using one of the hands to shoot GF and has to finish the match using one hand to shoot both pistols....duelist style.

Or even a 5 stage match and a similar situation pops up during the middle of the match.

Could the shooter finish the match as a duelist without being penalized for shooting out of category?

..........Widder

I believe that there is no reason a shooter registered as a GF can't shoot duelist if the shooter so chooses.

Check the definition of "Duelist" and "Double Duelist". Note that the rules in the SHB for gunfighter only list "double duelist" and even go so far as to define same. DD is not shooting both revolvers with the same hand. That's duelist so "By The Book", the shooter gits zapped for shooting out of catagory.

However.......

Under Widder's scenario, I think that's "reasonable", and probably no competitive advantage. Besides, any gunfighter who gits hisself or herself beat by a duelist..... :blush:

Let the poor guy shoot one-handed!

Just cuz I looked it up...

From the RO I manual on the pocket RO card

Shooting out of category. e.g., Not wearing the correct items in Classic Cowboy or not making enough smoke in B/P Categories 1st

violation is a procedural, 2nd violation is SDQ, 3rd violation is MDQ.

..........Widder

Looks like the shooter is just SOL. No going back to duelist category in the middle of the stream, and can't continue as a duelist. May as well shag brass for rest of match.

Move the shooter to the new "Wounded Cowboy" category? Had a feller named "Gunzilla" took first in the NO CLASS category at Comin' At Cha.

He was as happy to get that as we were to egg him on. But, surely as the rules are written a GF has to have a gun in each hand.

Check the definition of "Duelist" and "Double Duelist". Note that the rules in the SHB for gunfighter only list "double duelist" and even go so far as to define same. DD is not shooting both revolvers with the same hand. That's duelist so "By The Book", the shooter gits zapped for shooting out of catagory.

Under Widder's scenario, I think that's "reasonable", and probably no competitive advantage. Besides, any gunfighter who gits hisself or herself beat by a duelist..... :blush: Let the poor guy shoot one-handed!

:blink: I ain't got any idea :wacko: but from readin' the previous posts.. Yep.. I can read :lol:

I guess this makes the most sense to me... If the Match Director didn't want to be a Hard A$$

If the Match Director wanted to participate in being a HA..

Shooter signing up as "Gunfighter" would get a MDQ for shooting more than one stage as a duelist out of catagory..

Make sense? :blink:

Rance <_<

A shooter starts a match as a GF..., he/she breaks a thumb or has a reoccuring medical problem with the hand that prevents using one of the hands to shoot GF and has to finish the match using one hand to shoot both pistols....duelist style...

Could the shooter finish the match as Ua duelist without being penalized for shooting out of category?

Technically no. Cowboy way yes.

Stage is to be shot from horse. Shooter is in wheelchair so he starts beside the horse instead. Does Shoot receive a SOG penalty? No ain't the Cowboy way.

I agree with MD.If a shooter injures a hand and really wants to finish the match...let him shoot duelist.He probably won't win the new Caddy doing it,but at least he's got spirit and enjoys this game.KEY WORD....GAME...not livlihood.

Just change his categ from GF to Duelist, with the authorisation of the MD.

It's the fairest way to solve this problem. No penalty as it's an injury occuring on the range.

Yes, he can continue to shoot and stay within the category of GF. How you ask? Simple....shooter shoots first five rounds with his uninjured hand. Reloads said gun and shoot the next five rounds with the same hand. May not be fast but it works.

Wyatt

The only fair way to the other GFers and those registered as Duelist is to allow him to finish the match strong side or weak hand (whichever is the un-injured side) duelist but remain in GF category.

I'm Possum Skinner and I approve of this message.

Waitting to hear what PaleWolf has to say on this one.

At a first I would say there really is no other category for him to fall into.

BW is the only other one that GFer would be allowed. But most would not make what it takes

for the rest of the category.

And falling into Duelist. Well. He had two loaded pistols out for some of the stages. Which is not legal in Duelist.

Duelist can fall into something else pretty easy as shooting Duelist is legal in all the aged base categorys.

But a GFer??? Except for BW. You are kind of out there by yourself with no where else to go.

Personally. I would not have a problem with them falling into duelist. But not sure that would be the right answer

either.

Think Lone Dog had it best. Let him finsih as a one handed GFer seems to be the fairest way.

For all.

Because its a legit question, I've gotta play devils advocate on this one.

According to 'my understanding' of the rules, a GF has to shoot a pistol in the left hand and a pistol in the right hand...period!

And, there doesn't seem to be any allowances made (that I can find) that allows a GF to switch categories and become a duelist during the middle of a match (local or big).

NOW, if the only problem is in the 'thumb' being OOC (out of commission), the GF could shoot one pistol dry and reholster and then use the good hand to assist in the cocking efforts but still shoot the pistol with only one hand on it.....this is assuming no other safety issues are at play.

Me thinks, as others have mentioned, that this becomes a MD decision. Hey, ain't that why they get paid those big bucks?

EDIT: see Jacknife's appropriate comment below. Thanks for catching that.

..........Widder

Because its a legit question, I've gotta play devils advocate on this one.

NOW, if the only problem is in the 'thumb' being OOC (out of commission), the GF could shoot one pistol dry and reholster and then use the good hand to assist in the cocking efforts but still shoot the pistol with only one hand on it.....this is assuming no other safety issues are at play.

..........Widder

"must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported," so that wouldn't fit in the rules either.

State level and above he finishes match shooting for fun.

Most likely this situation never occurs(even though "anything" is possible). If the shooter is incapacitated too much to use the second hand, he/she probably won't be able to handle the long guns. Likewise, hurt that badly probably convinces shooter to stay on the sidelines anyway.

Hi Pards,

If I were MD, I would allow the shooter to continue as a GF or switch to an Age-Based category, where he could shoot two-handed or duelist with the good hand.

I would not place him in the Duelist category, as I understand that GF style has an advantage over Duelist. I've been told that two-handed shooters have a slight advantage over GFs and the existance of that advantage depends on the stage.

I do wish that the other TGs had agreed with my club a few years back when we voted about adding GF to Age-Based categories. That would make this answer less subjective.

I firmly believe a "reasonable accomodation" should be made to allow the shooter to finish the match without DNF or DQs. That is the Cowboy Way.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Leave the shooter in Gunfighter, he probably shot good enuf the first half to score high enuf to place anyway. No need to finish the shoot. Thats the GOOD THING ABOUT RANK POINTS, RIGHT?

MISS Allie, why ya wanna put him with the ole folks? He dun whooped us the first day?

hmmm, GFs have an advantage over duelists???? hmmmm ^_^ , ever watch a GF transition after shooting his pistols. :o ....ever watch duelist shoot his pistols then transition??? -_- hmmmmm ever watch Nuttin? advantage? :P hmmmmm

me thinks the advantage goes to the shooter that works at it the hardest..... ;)

Cheyenne :PB)

Match Director's discretion. There's bound to be someone that gets their feathers bent over any decision that's made. 1st rule a MD's gotta learn... you ain't gonna make all the people happy all the time. As for whether duelist or GF is an advantage... point is moot. That's all on the individual. This individual is injured... but still able to compete one-handed... but likely not at the top of his game. Leave him in GF and complete the match. Or, move him to duelist for the balance of the match, but declare him ineligible for any category awards; or, maybe better yet, have him reshoot his GF stages as a duelist... and remain eligible for awards.

hmmm, GFs have an advantage over duelists???? hmmmm ^_^ , ever watch a GF transition after shooting his pistols. :o ....ever watch duelist shoot his pistols then transition??? -_- hmmmmm ever watch Nuttin? advantage? :P hmmmmm

me thinks the advantage goes to the shooter that works at it the hardest..... ;)

Of course hard work and p-p-practice play a part.

I based my comments on a conversation with a shooter who has won state matches shooting a variety of styles.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Just change his categ from GF to Duelist, with the authorisation of the MD.

It's the fairest way to solve this problem. No penalty as it's an injury occuring on the range.

Sounds like the most reasonable solution to me.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Hi Pards,

If I were MD, I would allow the shooter to continue as a GF or switch to an Age-Based category, where he could shoot two-handed or duelist with the good hand.

I would not place him in the Duelist category, as I understand that GF style has an advantage over Duelist. I've been told that two-handed shooters have a slight advantage over GFs and the existance of that advantage depends on the stage.

I do wish that the other TGs had agreed with my club a few years back when we voted about adding GF to Age-Based categories. That would make this answer less subjective.

I firmly believe a "reasonable accomodation" should be made to allow the shooter to finish the match without DNF or DQs. That is the Cowboy Way.

Regards,

Allie Mo

What the Lady says goes, for me at least! I agree - move the shooter into a more inclusive category and get on with playing!

Shadow Catcher

CC's exactly right. A duelist can pick up his rifle or shotgun with one hand while holstering his last pistol. GF can't.

So does that mean I can beat ya now CC???:P Rye

CC's exactly right. A duelist can pick up his rifle or shotgun with one hand while holstering his last pistol. GF can't.

So does that mean I can beat ya now CC???:P Rye

Rye,,,,,hmmm guess weil hav tu wate til may tuu find out,,,,,,maybe go hed to hed duelist?? course I dunt shooot tham heevy lodes lak u du......

cheyenne :lol:

and to elaborate a bit on the who has tha advantage discussion,,it also depends when the pistols are shot in the senario and a myriade of other issues...course what du I know,,,I've only been shooting GF for 10 yrs,,,,,

CC :blush:

Archived