SASS Wire Forum

You Make The Call

Dubious Don #56333

Stage description is read; first shooter shoots the stage incorrectly. Stage called for one type of sweep, he shot it another. When the spotters call a P he complains that the description was faulty. Stage reader read the stage correctly though he did stumble about a bit. Easy and straightforward sweep, properly described in the instructions and no other shooter had this trouble. This shooter was eventually awarded a re-shoot.

What's the correct call?

No reshoot. The P should have stayed.

If you don't hear the stage scenario or understand it, you always have the opportunity to read it for yourself, or ask to have them explained. I do that frequently, as instructions that are read to me are not always clear, but if I read the instructions I can make better sense of them.

If you wanna get a reshoot

then stomp your feet

BOOM! BOOM!

then clap your hands

WHACK! WHACK!

then you're gonna haveta

make noise

whine real loud!

BOOM BOOM

This is a tough one. While ultimately it is up to the shooter to understand, many of us do better with the explanation and demonstration on the line IF DONE WELL, and they will override any confusion in reading the scenario in print. The heart and sole of presenting the stage is to read EXACTLY what is written, never ad-lib, nd if you stumble, start again and explain any sticky parts until they DO understand.

As a shooter I recently collected a "P" myself because a good pard of mine who was stage RO explained the sequence in a way that could be taken two ways, and I took it the wrong way. It never occurred to me until I was called on it that there COULD BE two ways to understand it, so I wasn't "confused", I was just ill-advised. (no "Vanna" went with his verbal explanation BTW). I collected my "P" and we laughed about it, but as the RO ya gotta make sure that is not gonna happen as best you can, and as a stage writer, potential confused meanings need to be eliminated with concise, precise verbiage.

Gosh!

Guess I'm the lone woman out... :blush::ph34r:

I'd like to read the stage instructions. Just because those who followed did not have a problem does not mean it was not poorly written or explained. It could mean that all of the subsequent shooters learned from the first shooter's mistake.

Regards,

Allie Mo

No reshoot, take the P. stop the sniveling....read the stage instructions yourself next time or ask if you're not sure.

IROT

Whine enough and ya get a reshoot! We always like to put the stage directions at the loading table when the RO is done readin it. That way everyone can check it before they shoot. Also the RO should always say "Does the shooter understand the course of fire?"

I say "P", no reshoot. C'mon dude ya gonna win a Cadillac or sumthin'??

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS ;)

If the shooter doesn't understand the scenario, how does he know he doesn't understand? In other words, how would he know to ask questions if he thought his understanding was correct? After all, he went first and got a P, possibly saving the others from the same fate.

The spotters understood the stage instructions enough to call a P, I would think that a shooter, knowing he was first up would be listening extra carefully, I know I do.

Sometimes ya hear things wrong of interpret them wrong, that's when ya get a P.

Next shooter.

No reshoot. The P should have stayed.

If you don't hear the stage scenario or understand it, you always have the opportunity to read it for yourself, or ask to have them explained. I do that frequently, as instructions that are read to me are not always clear, but if I read the instructions I can make better sense of them.

P should have stayed. If the shooter doesn't understand the instructions they should ask. No one is resopnsible to make the shooter understand.

Drifter

P, no reshoot, next shooter.

Stop whineing. Cowboy Up. Take your P. Next shooter.

My answer before readin' the rest of the posts..

No.. should have got to keep the "P" he earned and no reshoot..

Rance <_<

No reshoot, take the P. stop the sniveling....read the stage instructions yourself next time or ask if you're not sure.

IROT

P should stand, no grounds for a reshoot.

Shooter is responsible for knowing the stage.

Shooter could have asked for a define of the sweep.

The spotters understood the stage instructions enough to call a P, I would think that a shooter, knowing he was first up would be listening extra carefully, I know I do.

Sometimes ya hear things wrong of interpret them wrong, that's when ya get a P.

Next shooter.

If you always shoot first....be clear about the scenario....at the loading table you should be able to read it again. I like to shoot first and ocassionally I'm the one who screws up and shows everyone else what not to do....it's my choice. If I don't ask questions or have it clean in my mind then maybe I should shoot later in the order so I can watch others, but I shoot first and rarely have any P's.

If you screw up....man up and take the P.....no cars to be won here.

If you aren't sure....ask the TO just to be sure.

That's all I got.

KK

PS Don, your post was a bit leading toward a P. A statement of the scenario, what was said, and what happened, without your opinions about being "properly described...", would lead to more unbiased replies. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

So far, most everyone's come to the same conclusion...P Nothing biased about that, I think it's the correct call! (Now to read what PWB said)

With all due respect Dan, this is what happened:

The stage description was read wrong the first time around.

The shooter in question was the first shooter in line and got ready on the loading table before the mistake was corrected.

He then shot the stage as explained (wrongly) the first time.

He never asked for the reshoot, but after a short consultation, we asked him if he wanted one.

Swiss

The shooter in question was the first shooter in line and got ready on the loading table before the mistake was corrected.

He never asked for the reshoot, but after a short consultation, we asked him if he wanted one.

Swiss

Two sides to every story. Good to hear this one. Reshoot was in order.

Swiss

A bit different story than the OP said wouldn't one say? :blush: Was you and the OP at the same match and stage with same shooter? LOL.

just saying.

Blastmaster

A bit different story than the OP said wouldn't one say? :blush: Was you and the OP at the same match and stage with same shooter? LOL.

just saying.

Blastmaster

+1 ... I'm guessing he may have been the reader on the stage instructions, too? :lol::ph34r:

I like to shoot early on a posse if we are shooting in random order, most times shooting first or second. When stage is read, I listen to the straight through read, then immediately go to the loading table to finish loading my guns and help keep the posse on schedule. While this is going on tons of questions are usually being asked by posse members that are usually meaningless and usually just confuse my mind in preparing to shoot the stage. I have had the exact same situation happen where first time posse marshal read the stage instructions wrong and then corrected himself after someone that did not understand asked for a re-read. By then I was at the loading table with my guns. Have had call for me go both ways, some times I am offered a reshoot other times a P. One thing to remember, it is how the stage is read that counts, as many times changes are made in a walk through or other, that totally changes the stage from the written version. This is true whether it be a monthly match or higher.

If I may wonder off topic a bit. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice that a Procedural can not be given to the very first shooter of each stage? LOL. Just for the example in this thread. :rolleyes:

A side benifit would be that more people might volunteer to be first and that would get the possee shooting sooner and not have shooters milling around waiting on who wants to go first cause they don't/// :lol:

Back on topic mode.

Blastmaster

It's a "P".

I have experienced first hand the poorly written stage, as well as, the poorly read stage. I've experienced the incorrectly read stage. I have experenced the poorly interpreted stage by myself, seeing it clearly one way when it was the other. State level and above ....all "P's". As a shooter, if it's important to you not to receieve a procedural, then you MUST listen to the stage reading, read it yourself, ask questions, and run any "outside the box" ideas past someone else. Otherwise, smile and move on.

Archived