SASS Wire Forum

Just want to ask.

Pit Bull Tex

What is the shortest OAL you have loaded for your 73 in 38 cal.I have been just playing with shorter and shorter.

Amber Ale can get good feeding on her 73 with a 1.400 OAL, but I have tuned the ramp of the carrier and have a light, shortened SS mag spring. Your mileage WILL vary depending upon the short stroke kit (if any), the carrier ramp angle, the mag spring strength and probably a few other factors. What I can shoot is not what your gun can shoot, usually. The shorter you go, the more force you have to put on the closing stroke to get the "2nd" shell back into the magazine.

Although Amber's gun will shoot 1.400, it sure feeds better as I go out as far as possible on the first (driving) band - about 1.440 inch.

Good luck, GJ

They may work with shorter cartridges, but they should be smoothest with an OAL of 1.5 to 1.520.

Don't worry about the crimp grove, just crimp into the lead to get your length.

Johnny M.

Since I assume all '73s are not alike, does anyone have any experience with the Beretta Renegades? Do they do well with factory .38s? I have yet to have a chance to try mine out with them.

Since I assume all '73s are not alike, does anyone have any experience with the Beretta Renegades? Do they do well with factory .38s? I have yet to have a chance to try mine out with them.

Which of the 400 or so varieties of .38 special factory ammo? All the 73 rifles, Renegades included, will have problems with semiwadcutters - the shoulder hangs up entering the chamber. Round nose flat point (or a truncated cone) bullet shape are best feeders. Usually Cowboy type ammo will work, if you can find it. A round nose 158 will work in a pinch.

What do you have on hand, or plan to buy?

Good luck, GJ

Pit,

What you need to feed your gun is what your gun wants. Somebody else's gun may be different. Load at least 2 rounds in the magazine (make some without primers if doing this inside). Look down into carrier to see where the round in magazine comes to in relation to your carries opening. You want the cartridge in the magazine to be just barely out of the magazine. Remember, the further the remaining rounds in the magazine tube are sticking into carrier opening, the further the carrier has to push them back into magazine to come up.

I hope this helps,

Possum

Archived