SASS Wire Forum

Removing Water Repellent

Howdy folks, I need some (lots) of help! I want to remove

the water repellent from a canvas duster. This duster will

stand on it's own in a wind storm. I've tried washing with

a fabric softener, but no help. I would appreciate any suggestions

for the removal of this water repellent.

Happy trails and I thank you all in advance!

QDG

I had one like that too

About 10 times thru the washing machine and dryer took out the stiffness and most of the water proof ness too

WHY??? :unsure:

Like I posted "It will stand by itself in the middle of the room!

I can't ware it in this condition.

QDG

I bet the answer to the "Why" has something to do with "Bakersfield, California" :unsure: I think it would be a lot less work to buy a plain non-waterproof duster.

No, it has nothing to do with Bakersfield! It's the product they used or

the way it was applied.

QDG

Thank's goes to Jackson Rose, I'll give it a try...Subdeacon Joe, I'll try pard.

Matthew Duncan, I tried your idea, got to 6 times with no noticeable results.

But, thanks to all for your time.

QDG/Mike

Like I posted "It will stand by itself in the middle of the room!

I can't ware it in this condition.

QDG

It's supposed to be like that. I have a Filson Packer's coat that was that way. I found that the more I wore it, the more pliable it became. Of course, I use and abuse this coat. After a couple years in the wet Pacific Northwest, I noticed that it was not only becoming pliable, but starting to leak in a couple spots, because some of the coating was wearing off....so, I bought another can of the wax, let it soften up a bit, then worked it in well into the coat. Finally, I gave it the once-over with a hair dryer so it would melt into all the seams. Now, several years and a couple re-waxings later, it still stands up by itself. It's certainly not the prettiest coat, but it sheds water like the proverbial tin roof. Surprisingly, whenever I wear it into town, I almost always get favorable comments on the thing...e.g., "Man! That's a cool looking coat!"

Anyway...I got way off topic. Sorry. Bottom line, if all the washings don't eventually take it off, I'm not sure what would. Personally, I think I'd be a little gun-shy about washing it in mineral spirits. First off, the stuff stinks and second, nobody wants to accidentally be a human torch. I know Jackson said to wash it several times after that. I'd probably plunk down the money and let the dry cleaners do it. Good luck.

Archived