SASS Wire Forum

CZ hammered SXS

Noah Cash

Howdy all, I am lookin at a CZ SXS hammered coach gun, and it is a real looker , but it is stiff and I durn near had to break it over my knee to get it to open, and the triggers are fairly stiff as well. Do these things soften up with useage or with a bit of smith work to soften them up? Appreciate yall's opinion and experience in such stuff.

Howdy all, I am lookin at a CZ SXS hammered coach gun, and it is a real looker , but it is stiff and I durn near had to break it over my knee to get it to open, and the triggers are fairly stiff as well. Do these things soften up with useage or with a bit of smith work to soften them up? Appreciate yall's opinion and experience in such stuff.

Do a search.I had already asked about them and got some results.I don't quite remember what they were at the moment.After doing a bunch of researching on them and actually looking at one that was a beauty,like you say,I decided against buying it.To me,the beauty was in the wood,but the quality was lacking where needed.It is an expensive shotgun that already needs the help of a good smith to smooth it up for cowboy action.Just my opinion and others may have better experiences.

I have a hammerless Durango that is a sweet looker, too. It was my first SASS gun. After almost 2 years of polishing, adjusting it was working well until a firing pin broke. It still didn't open all the way so I gave it to a master gunsmith to chamfer the chambers, adjust the opening and install a new pin.

It's been back to him about 3 times now... all in one day... and he ended up taking it back with him to work on some more.

TTN makes a dang nice hammered shotgun for the money. :lol: If you gotta have a CZ then I have a dang nice Durango for sale... as soon as I get it back from the smithy. B)

I have a hammer CZ and really like it. When I got it, it had been smoothed up. I've had it for over a year now and so far, knock on wood, it's been running like a champ.

It is the same gun as the Liberty II at nearly twice the price. I have shot my liberty for about 7 years nows with no funtional problems. I did my own work to get it the way I wanted it. I cut the barrels to 18 1/4" and installed a lighter lever spring, tweeked the mainsprings, chamfered the openings and polished the mating surface between the reciever and the fore end. I would not sell it for anything. I also have a 24" barreled one as a back-up.

Sir, I asked the same questions here last summer. I had located a beautiful used CZ. The replies mostly said the same thing. The guns were great looking on the outside and nothing but

trouble on the inside. A pard did sell me a used TTN and that is what I'd advise you to look for.

Good Luck

Mosey West

I found a CZ "Hammered Classic" 30" barrel at a local shop. They had mistakenly ordered it for someone who wanted a 20" barrel.

Bought the gun and have enjoyed shooting it. The weapon was stiff when I first got and has gotten easier to use. It really needs a good smith to make it competitive.

Mine is a well made weapon with 6 screw chokes and I also use it for quail and small game hunting.

Good luck with your search. Castalia

There are a lot of folks using the TTN, but be aware it is not a perfect gun either. I know of 3 that the ribs were not soldered to the barrels, a piece of paper could be ran between the rib and barrel and they were only soldered in a couple of spots.

New, the CZ Coachguns sell for about $850. For that price, you should expect function to be better than some have related. After you spend another $150+ to smooth her out, you have a grand in the thing. IMHO, buy a Baikal with real hammers for $369, pay a smith to smooth it out, and you've got it for $500 less. The TTN's just are not available new.

FWIW

MJJ

Archived