SASS Wire Forum

Well, I have had my Saturday Morning chuckle

Another forum brought up the subject of Shotguns. Being of a curious nature I dialed in on it.

He is a website that will give you a bit of information on the construction of fine English shotguns.

By fine, I mean High End.

Check it out. I know it gets a bit presumptuous in places, well mostly throughout, but watching the craftsmen and women is interesting. Most of us will never see nor perhaps be interested in one of them

but they are purdy.

http://www.hollandandholland.com/

No, no, no...Holland & Holland, not Purdy.

I was awaiting that remark, Joe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are beautiful guns, but I just cannot see where all that engraving is gonna

get you on target. Fitting the gun and patterning the gun, yes. Scroll, no.

Nice wood though, don't you think, old man? Shall we have tea now?

Didn't want to disappoint, old bean!

They are beautiful guns, but I just cannot see where all that engraving is gonna

Quite. Still, one must have a bit of flash. Keep up appearances, don't you know.

And, yes, a cuppa would be rahtha nice, wouldn't it? Darjeeling, one lump, and light on the milk if you please, sir.

I do hope you are using the Spode today, not that ghassstly stuff from Limoges.

Yessir you can parker right there.

I'm missing the Tulsa show today but if you're ever around attend it. There should be some of all the above in shotgun and double rifle form plus Churchill, Greener, Boss, Evans, Rigby and others.

It ain't a gunshow....its a museum!

As ah wuz jest sayin' ta' Lord Okie tother day,

Let's wander over ta' H&H an rub sum red-mud inta da' carpet :lol::P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okie could do that. Do they have red clay in Oklahoma?

Cabelas over in Lacy has one in their Gun Library. It is a 12 gauge Royal Ejector (what ever that is) for only $12,000.00. Practically a steal at that price.

Well, if you are knocking down birds, probably not a good trade off.

After all, you ain't gonna be handsome and fancy like them fellers in the H&H film anyway!

I'll bet you don't even own an ascot, do ya?

Well, if you are knocking down birds, probably not a good trade off.

After all, you ain't gonna be handsome and fancy like them fellers in the H&H film anyway!

I'll bet you don't even own an ascot, do ya?

Wats ah ascot go for these days?

Wats ah ascot go for these days?

A fashionable and tasteful one can be had for $28.95, or if you prefer silk, a bit more.

Remember, you do not want to be unfashionable on the moors while shooting.

Now if you want to sit in it like Hal, it is gonna cost ya.

Nah the Duke's cased Greeners is what we should aspire to here...

Though I look at at my Mom's 20 Ga Winchester Model 21 (just a field grade with straight stock and splinter fore end set up Skeet 1 and Skeet 2 but the wood it has is very nice) (She had it as her wedding gift from Dad before WWII and he bought as a used gun... I guess I should run the S# and find out when it was built some day )and I think we built some mighty fine scatter guns here in the USA once; in that list of makers was Parker (I have a 16 ga trojan (plain) grade one of those that was her father's and it is a sweet shooter that I feel it is ok to shoot in SASS from time to time as it does rather show its age.) and the other greats of US shotgun fame and their exhibition grade guns rank with the finest the world could produce

Badger,....I gotts tree of'em.................Coachguns, I mean.;)

I plan to stay in my no class, low life, Saloon drinkin' ways.......:blush:

And I pity da fool what tries to talk me out dat Saloon door !! :ph34r:

Just heard from H&H and they said that their sales figures did not increase all that much, even after being

exposed to the SALOON. I guess you guys are just not in a buying mood, eh?

Don't ya think one of them gold plated ones with all the fancy scrolling would look delicious under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning? Get it made to your specifications ya know. :)

I wandered into an Orvis fly fishing shop in Virginia one summer. I knew I was in trouble when the sales personell were wearing Orvis plaid.

I looked around, laughed to my self over whether a ,at that time $28 # 10 Royal Coachman would catch a fish better than a cricket.

After some time I decided the only thing in the store I could afford was a dog chew bone and really did not want to spend $14 for one(medium size).

After watching the short video, I thought that perhaps they had lost sight of the final objective.

Or maybe not. I'm thinking that the idea behind taking shotgun in hand and strolling through the

brush to obtain some birds for the table, and to enjoy the surroundings, was the end game.

I certainly never had wine from cut crystal goblets, a new suit of tweeds and perhaps some new

shooting shoes. But then, everybody knows that I have no class. I have never rode to the hounds

either. Probably fall off the horse if I did. :lol:

I have not had a lot of success with a royal coachman anyway, Noz. I prefer a simple fly with

lots of dry fly hackle and colors to match the menu. There was a writer at one time under the

pseudonym of Sparse Gray Hackle. Given his name and his articles and books, I believe he was

on to something. Besides, my humble fly dressing skills would not allow me to tie a $15.00 dry fly.

How about a $.15 wet?

I believe a pretty gun shoots better than a plain gun simply because you unconsciously try to live up to its image.

Of course, I'm not conscious of much anymore so i don't shoot well.

BMC

YA THINK , it be a mite upp a ddy ?

That video is most likely as close to a H&H , as most of us will get

CB

Not so. I have a Holland and Holland......................375 cartridge in my collection. I wish I had the gun it was made for.

Not so. I have a Holland and Holland......................375 cartridge in my collection. I wish I had the gun it was made for.

Was that from your cape buffalo hunt with Hemingway, when you were both on safari together?

Tell us the story again, Uncle Forty Rod.... :)

Archived