SASS Wire Forum

Question For Veterans

What did you benefit from the most from your service?

Mine was a sense of Honor and commitment.

Semper Fi! is not just a hollow slogan to me. I continue to live my life in the manner that would make Gunnery Sergeant (Sergeant Major [RET])Richard DONALD proud.

What did you benefit from the most from your service?

Mine was a sense of Honor and commitment.

Semper Fi! are not just a hollow slogan to me. I continue to live my life in the manner that would make Gunnery Sergeant (Sergeant Major [RET])Richard DONALD proud.

Hard one Gunny-

Guess i'd have to say the Marines growed me up - QUICK!

Taught me wat pride was & the really important things to be proud of-

Oh yeah- Proud of my cool scars too!!! Girls dug'em (40 yrs ago)

I would say an appreciation of all those that came before and those that came after, and their sacrifice.

I feel it is an honor to have worn the same uniform.

My service was not all that much, but I appreciate and feel a kin ship with those

that gave more. I also appreciate my Country more.

Responsibility, attention to detail, honor.

But for me most of all was Courage.

CPK

For me, above all, it was a sense of duty to my country, not just for the time I was in, but continuing the rest of my life. Then it was honor - you keep your word above all, you do what you say you will do. Then, respect, for myself as well as others.

I don't think I would have liked myself very much had I not spent my six years in service. It made vast changes for the good in me.

The first thing that comes to mind is the comamadrie, guys that you trust with your life (ya I was Navy, but you don't call 911 when you're out on the pond).

There are other things, but that's what I miss.

Barry Sloe

Interesting question. Looking back, a sense of duty, above all else, may be the best way to phrase it. Whatever the reason people served or whatever they learned from it, the idea that someone will always be there to do their duty is what I took away from it. Never have experienced that feeling to that degree since. Being part of that very large group of people who served may be the best thing I ever did.

To add.... The Chicago Police Department has a Memorial Wall for those that died in the line of duty. To fund this, they solicited funds by offering bricks to be laid on the walkway. My paver brick carries an ideology that I have lived by my entire life...

Honor Above All Else...

Learning to work for the greater good of the Organization - which seems to be a lost art in today's NON-military jobs. SOME kids coming out of college seem to think they are owed a position without having to work their way up in the organization. It's all about THEM & to hell with the organization/company.

Personally, I've benefited from the GI Bill - got me through my Master's Degree - veteran's preference points for some jobs, even Texas allows for tax breaks for veterans. Most of all, I'm still in contact with folks I met in basic training.

Being part of something that had the mission to protect our country, wherever or whenever it was needed.My part was very small and nonessential.

After college in 1963 I was drafted and because I had played college football, was assigned to Special Services. Played football, baseball and lifeguarded at the post pool. Also gave pt to trainees in the Medical Services School.

I really grew up in the Army and it allowed me to focus on my career goals and really set me on the right path for the rest of my life. :rolleyes:

Tasted and Learned what an American Is. :FlagAm:

I grew up a lot faster in the Air Force than I would have otherwise. It was a great 4 year education in its own right. I got to see places, meet interesting people and do things that I otherwise might not have, and acquired skills that were building blocks for what came afterward, right up to this day. Plus, every generation of my family from the French & Indian war to the present has served in the military, and I did my part to keep that tradition alive.

"What did you benefit most from your service"?

That be my little woman that I met just after I got out. If'n it weren't for the service I would never had the chance to meet her. That was in 1968 and she is sitting in the living room now watching tv.

Personal satisfaction that I have, in some small way, served my country.

Well, I enlisted in the Navy during my senior year in high school, 1969. A deep sense of personal investment and pride in America, a sincere expression of love for my Country, when so many others were runnin' to Canada.

Roy

Like The Gambler...it taught me to "know when to run". :lol:

The Army taught me what it's like to be responsible for other people and how to do it right.

The Corps taught me to "handle it", regardless of the job, obstacles, or my personal feelings. Handle it!

Both taught me a lot about respect and how to earn and give it. It can't be forced, ordered, demanded, or bought. It must be earned.

That was the day I became an adult.

Olen

+1

In my case it took more than a day.

Pards have listed some important traits they acquired in the military. I got some of those from the business end of a belt in my Dad's hands.

The USN Submarine Service taught me not to be a lazy a$$ and to take care of my business.

+1

In my case it took more than a day.

Pards have listed some important traits they acquired in the military. I got some of those from the business end of a belt in my Dad's hands.

The USN Submarine Service taught me not to be a lazy a$ and to take care of my business.

It was magic for me. I arrived at the airport in San Antonio "all alone in a bunch by myself", having waited several days for waivers (eyes) to be approved. I was the only recruit on the bus to the base and joined a rainbow flight of guys from all over the US and knew no one. Because of my size I was at the head of the line right behind the guide-on. First time in my life I felt like I belonged. It was a moment of clarity that has stayed with me for 47 years.

Olen

Archived