SASS Wire Forum

Vintage Winchester 92 converted to .38/.357 - SALE PENDING

Flaco Joe

I offer for sale a vintage (1923) Winchester model 92 converted to .38/.357. (Before you gather a lynch mod, I bought it already converted!) Asking $650 shipping included.

It is in well-used, but mechanically refurbished condition. It has a great patina and saddle-worn look. The wood and metal shows extensive hand wear. There is a slight crack on the left forearm just behind the receiver that has been firmly repaired. The action is silky smooth and locks tight. The barrel is 16 inches, the rear sight is buckhorn, the front sight is not original.

I bought this gun for cowboy shooting, and had it refurbished by Steve Young of Steve's Gunz in Port Arthur, Texas. He did a full action job and replaced internal parts including cartridge tube spring, main spring, follower, rails, extractor and screws.

This is one sweet little rifle, but you need to know that it is not particularly fast. It functions perfectly at normal and moderately fast shooting speeds, but when working the lever at gamer speed it may stovepipe or eject a live round. Simply put, it canters and trots, but tends to stumble when run at a gallop.

One other important note: because of the short barrel, it will only hold 9 standard .38 spl. rounds. It will hold 10 rounds of round nose flat point bullets (RNFP – OAL 1.45”) and I used it often for cowboy matches, but you will need to check to be sure it holds 10 of your particular rounds before a match.

I love this gun and hate to sell it, but it will not run fast enough for serious competition, so I bought a '73. The rifle looks like it belongs in the old west, handles like a dream and shoots straight. If you are not a gamer and just want an honest to goodness old west gun, this is a deal. It works great, looks great, and the ammo is cheap. It will also handle full bore .357 magnum loads, just in case.

Asking $650 shipping included to your FFL. Contact Flaco Joe at crocketts@mac.com. Will accept money order or PayPal.

winchester#1

winchester#2

winchester#3

winchester#4

winchester#5

winchester#6

winchester#7

winchester#8

Archived