SASS Wire Forum

? for Pocket Watch Experts

I'm wondering why they would use any gold at all in the movement, being as it's pretty soft.

Sam... send a PM to Marshal Troop... if he doesn't have the answer (or know where to point you), nobody does... I bought an 1882 vintage sidewinder from him a couple years ago at Ambush and I can't begin to remember everything that he told me about them...

Vaya con Dios

I don't know Sam, but my Timex takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

When did you learn to tell time? :)

I really became aware of time after my heart attack and became a pill jockey who takes so many have to use one of those 7-day dispenser boxes. Swear theres a pill gremlin in the house cause its seems like I have to fill it every other day. Least it seems that way. Momma told me about ole evil time and how it gets shorter the more you use...now I know! :o

How much gold is there in the center wheel and jewel settings of a 992?

It and the B model were made for a good while so did all have gold or just a certain segment of manufacture?

Any other brands have gold?

To answer your question. On the 992, the "Train", which consist of the mainspring barrel, center wheel and pinion, third wheel and pinion, fourth wheel and pinion, and escape wheel which is part of the escapement.

The function of the "Train" is to reduce power of the mainspring and extend its power to more hours. In other words, the mainspring will then expand energy in smaller units to the escapement, and the escapement delays the power from being spent too quickly. The 992 has a "solid Gold" train instead of brass. These watches are probable the most sought after, and most desirable, not just because they are railroad watches. To indetify a solid gold train, look at a 992 center wheel. Why a gold train? Gold, yes is soft, but has a smooth surface and molds easily, thus less friction. These wheels do not move fast.so a smmoth action is more important then hard metal. Also, remember gold does not tarnish, nor rust, is non-magnetic.

As to jewels in a watch, they are used as bearings, to reduce metal to metal contact which otherwise would produce friction and heat, which leads to wear. The jewels are diamonds, sapphire, rubies, and garnets. Diamonds being the hardest, garnets the softest. The jewels are hole, cap, roller, or pallet jewels, used for different areas. Watches have from 7 to 23 jewels, anything above is for decorative purposes,they were hole jewels, with nothing to further their use, but decorative purposes.

As to gold case, they can be solid 14 to 18K. Or the also desired filled or rolled Anytime you see 5 to 30 years it means the case is Gold filled, as does the wording "Guaranteed". Rolled gold is guaranteed for 5 years. Thickness varied, of course the thicker, the longer it would last.

Oh, to add, not an expert, just have collected, and worked on watches since I was 17, and my father taught me. But no expert.

Anyone interested in 992, let me know. I have 22 of them left. MT

I have a 992 in my pocket as I type this..I happened to be in a pawnshop I frequent back home one day and a fellow brought it in to either pawn or sell..Of course the pawnshop guy didn't offer him nearly what it was worth, but the fellow sold it anyway..When he left I asked the pawnshop guy what he would sell it to me for, and reminded him that I knew what he had in it! :lol:

So I bought it, put it on layaway actually, since I didn't have any cash on me that day..A friend of mine who is really into old pocketwatches and clocks frequents the same pawnshop and had a fit when he found out I had bought it..I really didn't know what I had until I talked to him, it's from 1902 (If memory serves me correct) and keeps great time! :wub:

Good info on the 992..Thanks for posting!

Archived