SASS Wire Forum

Patton

Jack Houston # 35508

Patton was just on the local movie channel...they blanked out all the cuss words!!! Ruined the movie <_<

Now is The Longest Day followed by Tora Tora Tora

Patton used cuss words?? You must be pulling my leg!

Drifter

It's kind of pointless to watch good movies on broadcast TV. They butcher them to the point of making the plot virtually incomprehensible sometimes. Insert stupid words like "maggot Farmer" and "Forget You" and chop scenes out so the commercials will fit. I can see why directors get angry.:angry:

It's kind of pointless to watch good movies on broadcast TV. They butcher them to the point of making the plot virtually incomprehensible sometimes. Insert stupid words like "maggot Farmer" and "Forget You" and chop scenes out so the commercials will fit. I can see why directors get angry.:angry:

+1

"Men,Without team effort, without them, the fight would have been lost. All of the links in the chain pulled together and the chain became unbreakable.

There's more, here's the link: http://www.bob-west.com/PATTON-SPEECH.html

Edited to suite politically correct sensibilities. :FlagAm:

Patton was Old Army. Brown Shoe Army. In those days there was a very distinct class difference between officers and enlisted men. Officers didn't cuss, spit, fart, belch, etc. Nor did they get drunk (they got "inebriated"). For a GENERAL to stand up and talk like a stable hand was a very powerful image for the troops being addressed.

I don't know if any of the speeches being quoted were actually delivered by Patton (or are the work of Hollywood screen writers writing what they think Patton might say). I guess it really doesn't matter because he did address troops in this fashion on more than one occasion.

The language is coarse; it's meant to be coarse. To expurgate the language to "protect the children" or some other purpose distorts accuracy.

SQQ

Patton was Old Army. Brown Shoe Army. In those days there was a very distinct class difference between officers and enlisted men. Officers didn't cuss, spit, fart, belch, etc. Nor did they get drunk (they got "inebriated"). For a GENERAL to stand up and talk like a stable hand was a very powerful image for the troops being addressed.

I don't know if any of the speeches being quoted were actually delivered by Patton (or are the work of Hollywood screen writers writing what they think Patton might say). I guess it really doesn't matter because he did address troops in this fashion on more than one occasion.

The language is coarse; it's meant to be coarse. To expurgate the language to "protect the children" or some other purpose distorts accuracy.

SQQ

Quite true.

However.... I don't think I'd like to be the parent of a Buckaroo who learned some new phrases from the SASS Wire.

My wife teaches kindergarten.

Believe me, they already know the words.

I'm realize that. The point was made that this is a family forum and rules prohibit some things. Even if used in a quoted context.

First I ever heard of General Patton was from Dad at the American Cemetery in Luxemburg. "Old Georgie sure would roll over in his grave if he knew they put his stone out here by itself and not in with all his troops".

Later I found out that Dad had served under Patton and had several tales, which I can't repeat in this forum.

I agree, you are wasting your time trying to watch a movie on the broadcast or "family" channels.

Quite true.

However.... I don't think I'd like to be the parent of a Buckaroo who learned some new phrases from the SASS Wire.

Perhaps not. Yet I seriously doubt that anything in the speeches quoted would be much of a shock to kids raised on today's TV and 'Net fare. This is an adult, if family, place. Gratuitous profanity can, and should, be handled by the Moderators. What was quoted was not "gratuitous." It it is still outside the boundaries of the Forum then the Moderators should deal with it.

SQQ

Perhaps not. Yet I seriously doubt that anything in the speeches quoted would be much of a shock to kids raised on today's TV and 'Net fare. This is an adult, if family, place. Gratuitous profanity can, and should, be handled by the Moderators. What was quoted was not "gratuitous." It it is still outside the boundaries of the Forum then the Moderators should deal with it.

SQQ

Then we're only arguing about which lower standard we want to have, not whether we should lower them . . . .

SC

ON, the "request" was not "excessive". We all agreed to obey the guidelines when we signed up to this forum. Period. "EFF" bombs clearly violate the guidelines. Seven year old Buckarettes should not be subjected to such when they visit here. Period.

You're entitled to your opinion. I removed the post, essentially, in it entirety. I notice that the moderators, however, did NOT remove the post. Apparently being a historical quotation meant it was within the guidelines.

Apparently NOT. The mods are over-worked and under-paid. All it means is they had not noticed THAT word in the extremely long quote yet. Certain words and most especially THAT word are always going to be in violation of the guidelines whether they are couched in a quote or not.

By your reasoning, I should be able to "quote" rap lyrics. I don't think any of us even you are gonna put up with that.

What I cannot understand is how you cannot understand that wrong is wrong. Young'uns just don't need to have their eyeballs seared when they come here.

First I ever heard of General Patton was from Dad at the American Cemetery in Luxemburg. "Old Georgie sure would roll over in his grave if he knew they put his stone out here by itself and not in with all his troops".

Later I found out that Dad had served under Patton and had several tales, which I can't repeat in this forum.

I agree, you are wasting your time trying to watch a movie on the broadcast or "family" channels.

Initially he was buried out among the troops, was moved to accomodate the great numbers of visitors. Perhaps he would rather been separated than have the graves of his troops trampled on by those curiosity seeks who would not exhibit the proper reverence for the graves of the fallen.

Archived