SASS Wire Forum

Uberti or AWA Lighting Rifle

Bulldog Brown

Have a pard who is looking to get a Lighting for main match gun, does anyone have any opinions or have them? What is the best of these. Thanks Bulldog Brown.

Go with the AWA.

When I was considering getting a Lightning, I had a chance to compare the two. The AWA was sooth right out of the box. The Uberti was very clunky by comparison. (And the Taurus was like pulling sandpaper over sandpaper, so don't even think of going there.)

My AWA is in .45 Colt, and it has functioned flawlessly since I got it every time I have used it. Everyone I know who has an AWA reports similar satisfaction.

I have not heard many testimonials about the Uberti, good or bad, but comparing them in the store, the AWA was clearly a better gun.

And for what it's worth, my AWA is as it came from the factory, with no gunsmithing or any other tuning.

Had a Uberti, never was able to get 10 rounds out of it with out a jam! Do a search on here they have been talked about a lot. I would stay away from one as a main match gun?

Had a Uberti, never was able to get 10 rounds out of it with out a jam! Do a search on here they have been talked about a lot. I would stay away from one as a main match gun?

I've never owned one.. as Red Rider Rudy stated .. do a search on this ol' wire..

I've never heard of too many positive responses on a lightening rifle..

especially as a main match rifle..

The previous poster said his AWA has been flawless.. that's a good testimonial right there..

Run your search.. do your homework.. Make the best decision you can..

Rance <_<

A bit of advice. If your friend is going to use a Lightning as a main match rifle he needs to be prepared to learn how to detail strip them down to the last screw, learn in detail how they work, and learn how to fix and maintain them himself.

Most of the ones in 38 cal that I have seen have a great many problems making through a whole match without hitch of some type... that goes for every brand. Again, from my observations, the big bores seemed to function better. I don't think that I would use one much in a match, but I do think that they are neat, and wouldn't mind having one. If I get the chance to swap for one... I might pick one up,but for the most part I don't think that I would spend much $$ on one. JMO

Snakebite

Just an aside.....

All the discussions refer to either .357 mag or 45LC versions of the Lightning. The Lightning was originally chambered in 44-40, even though that's a Winchester round. The reason Winchester developed the 44-40 as a bottle necked, tapered cartridge is because it functioned better in the 1873 than any straight walled cartridge. I'd imagine Colt went with the .44 WCF for the same reason, (after the realization that Winchester wouldn't adapt the 73 to 45LC....causing Colt to offer SAAs in .44-40).

I've heard a lot of problems with Lightings not functioning reliably, and I'm wondering if 44-40 versions might be a better caliber??

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

My AWA shoots both 45S&W and 45LC just fine, even mixing them. Personally I can't seem to keep the front sight on target as I work the action back and forth, it wanders around like a drunk sailor. No experience with an Uberti, but I know two shooters who use the Pedresoli version very nicely.

Don't know anything about the Uberti's; but, my AWA in 44-40 works just fine. Have a shooting pard that has an AWA in .45 Colt that runs like a sewing machine - as long as it's kept clean.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

My AWA shoots both 45S&W and 45LC just fine, even mixing them. Personally I can't seem to keep the front sight on target as I work the action back and forth, it wanders around like a drunk sailor. No experience with an Uberti, but I know two shooters who use the Pedresoli version very nicely.

Hey MD.... what makes you think that sailors drink?

sb :huh:

I had an AWA (in .357/,38) about 5 years ago for a day and a half. It wouldn't/couldn't cycle two rounds in a row without it jamming. I sent it back to AWA. They worked on it and sent it back to me. It did the same thing. I sent it back to the dealer and got my money back. I read and researched and talked with guys who owned them. None of them are reliable not even the original colts. That's why "Winchester won the west"! The Taurus is junk, the Uberti's and Pedersoli's are so-so. I finally got a Baretta "Gold Rush" in .357 that cycles reliably 90% of the time using .357 casings and round nose flat point 158 grain bullets after trying numerous bullet and OAL combinations. I shoot it sometimes on certain stages during local club matches but I still don't trust 'em as my main match rifle and probably never will!

Hey MD.... what makes you think that sailors drink?

sb :huh:

I seen em! Wandering around just like that front sight!

My Pedersoli in 45LC, 26" barrel, works just fine. I've only used it for one season, and never for a full match (I have three rifles and rotate them each stage), but it has never jammed or otherwise given me any trouble. It does take a little practice to keep it on target while pumping, but it's much easier than with a '73. As the name implies, it's also faster than a '73. The Pedersoli costs more than the Uberti, but I think it's worth it.

I have a Pedersoli in .357. Once I got the cartridge length adjusted for the rifle (very sensitive) - it worked without a flaw. I had to use .357 brass.

I have used it in several matches when my injured right elbow did not allow me to use my 1873.

It is not like a pump shot gun. I needed to develop the correct quick cycle motion for smooth operability.

I discovered that most jams were Operator Error - not the rifle.

But you must remove your finger off the trigger for it to reset with each shot. Once you get some muscle memory, that is not a problem,

You are correct that the bottle neck cases work the best in any lightning pump rifle. We have two original colts in 32-20 that work flawlessly except when we forget to pull and push the pump handle all the way. Having said that, I also have a AWA in 38 spcl, not 357, that feeds 38 spcl 125gr trunciated cone bullets and does not jam. The key to getting them to function properly is to have that old "slicker upper" (Elrod) out in Nevada tune them for you. He has done all three of these and has my third original in 32-20 doing his magic right now.

I have a pedersoli 357/38 and like what has been said, the length of the round is important. I have been able to shoot 38's but I have to use a 158 gr bullet round nose flat point and it has to be extended so that the length is 1.44, then it works great.

:FlagAm: I originally bought a Taurus pump gun and was very unhappy on how it never worked or fed rounds. I sold it to someone heading off to a gunsmithing school who wanted a challange. I did find a slightly used Uberti in .45 that has always worked. The key is ammo length and cycle the pump fully and agressively, its not your 870. It is one of the higher grade models and have shot matches with it without a problem. Personally I do prefer the 1873 though.....its faster for me. Hope that helps. :FlagAm:

I would have previously advised you get an AWA lightning, the wife has two in .38. I think they are again out of business, so I can't recommend them anymore since spare parts are going to be non-existant.

Lassiter used a Baretta Gold Rush (I think) at Bordertown, though he had extensively gone through it. He made multiple speed rifle runs from a table in the sub 3 second range. I'm thinking it was 4 targets, not a dump.

Pettifogger made a good comment about knowing how to take it down and maintaining it. The wife's guns like to be clean and when she operates it smooth, can get it rocking.

Archived