SASS Wire Forum

Lemon Squeezer

Connecticut Yankee

That is a real good price, if it is NRA Very Good condition. Even if it is Bubba's very good condition. Make sure it will cycle fast double action. And I believe it will need to use BP loads if it was actually built in 1896. Not until 1903 did S&W go to smokeless certification. Are you sure you know it's date of mfg - did you check serial number against production lists, or are you reading the latest patent date off the barrel?

Here's a good picture to tell the difference between first, second and third models in the Safety Hammerless.

http://www.armchairg...-Hless-Mods.jpg

And an article that gives you more background.

http://www.thehighro...hp/t-52107.html

Good luck, GJ

Howdy

A lot of guys will tell you that is too much to pay, but I doubt if most of them have seen the prices those things are getting these days. That is a good price these days.

A lot of guys will also tell you that you can shoot modern Smokeless loads in them. Not if you listen to some of the Smiths who have the most experience with the old S&W Top Breaks. Nothing but Black Powder for my old Top Breaks.

I have been buying entirely too many Top Breaks these days. Here is a nifty little S&W Safety Hammerless 2nd Model I picked up last year.

Lemon Squeezer

If you post the SN, with XXs for the last two digits I can probably determine which model you are looking at. Might even be able to figure out a manufacture date, no guarantees though. Mine is SN 1301XX and was shipped August of 1905.

Howdy

Hi Pard

I wish i could give you the exact numbers but i just talked to the guy and he told me it was in the 52,000 numbers and said it was made in about 1896 i want to use it for the side matches but if it has to be black powder i dont think i will get it, i wanted to just use standarf loads as i will not be shooting it that much only for the side matches and that is only a few times a year so do not want to set up for black for that few times. I guess i will have to look for something else. I appreciate your help.

Thanks again

Conn. Yankee

A lot of guys will tell you that is too much to pay, but I doubt if most of them have seen the prices those things are getting these days. That is a good price these days.

A lot of guys will also tell you that you can shoot modern Smokeless loads in them. Not if you listen to some of the Smiths who have the most experience with the old S&W Top Breaks. Nothing but Black Powder for my old Top Breaks.

I have been buying entirely too many Top Breaks these days. Here is a nifty little S&W Safety Hammerless 2nd Model I picked up last year.

Lemon Squeezer

If you post the SN, with XXs for the last two digits I can probably determine which model you are looking at. Might even be able to figure out a manufacture date, no guarantees though. Mine is SN 1301XX and was shipped August of 1905.

Howdy Again

I'm not talking about it blowing up. I'm talking about the old steel being able to put up with the punishment of pounding from the recoil of Smokeless. Read what Dave Chicoine has to say about the subject in Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West. He categorically states the old S&W Top Breaks should not be fired with Smokeless powder. Shoot enough Smokeless loads in them and you will loosen the lockup.

All the ammo for these old pocket pistols from the late 1800s & early 1900s are built to SAAMI specs (as is all American ammo), and those specs are set light for these old guns because the manufacturers know that there are some who will, against advice, shoot smokless ammo in them. Shooting 5-10 rounds through them occasionaly wil probably do no damage to the gun as long as you have it checked by a compitent smith before you shoot it. Just remember these old guns today are at least 100 years old and the metallurgey wasn't what it is today. I say that because you might end up with some imported ammo someday that even in BP is hotter than USA made ammo

DJ, Dave can load his with black powder if he wants to, smoke less for me tho. I don't take for gospel everything a writer puts on paper for a gun rag. Just my personal opinion.

Howdy Again

I'm not talking about it blowing up. I'm talking about the old steel being able to put up with the punishment of pounding from the recoil of Smokeless. Read what Dave Chicoine has to say about the subject in Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West. He categorically states the old S&W Top Breaks should not be fired with Smokeless powder. Shoot enough Smokeless loads in them and you will loosen the lockup.

A big YUP! I have an 1898 .38 4th model that was shot with smokeless (my fathers pawn shop special bought in 1942). Locks up nice but lots of fore-aft cylinder travel due to pounding of the recoil shield.

DJ, Dave can load his with black powder if he wants to, smoke less for me tho. I don't take for gospel everything a writer puts on paper for a gun rag. Just my personal opinion.

Dave Chicoine is not just some hack gun writer scribbling hearsay for a gun rag. He has been working on all sorts of old guns, including old S&W Top Breaks for years. He is one of the most recognized authorities there is on working on the old Top Breaks. If he tells you that running Smokeless through the old Top Breaks runs the risk of stretching the frame and loosening up the latch, then you can take it to the bank. I have seen plenty of Top Breaks that are loose at the latch, even bought a couple. It's from shooting them with Smokeless.

Dave Chicoine is not just some hack gun writer scribbling hearsay for a gun rag. He has been working on all sorts of old guns, including old S&W Top Breaks for years. He is one of the most recognized authorities there is on working on the old Top Breaks. If he tells you that running Smokeless through the old Top Breaks runs the risk of stretching the frame and loosening up the latch, then you can take it to the bank. I have seen plenty of Top Breaks that are loose at the latch, even bought a couple. It's from shooting them with Smokeless.

Thanks Guy you all were a big help i am going to see it tomorrow for myself and then i will make a decision it will be only shot tow or three times a year for a side match and that will be it. I probably will load my own and make them a light load like the cowboy loads so it might be okay. Thanks again for all the good info.

Connecticut Yankee

Archived