SASS Wire Forum

opinon of ruger bisley grip

charlie two feathers

I currently shoot standard ruger vaqueros(357) with super blackhawk hammers.I amm thinking of buying a pair in 45lc but want to hear your opinon on the bisley grip vs standard grip. are there advanages to the bisley/ THANKS

Charlie,

I have owned several pairs of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros. I have one pair of "Bisleys" left that I use exclusively when I shoot Senior Duelist which is seldom because I usually shoot in categories that allow shooting with two hands (which is faster). Aside from the obvious larger grip frame which accommodates folks with large hands the whole idea of the Bisley design was to accommodate target shooters at competition matches in Bisley, England (from which they got their name). The design of a Bisley enables one to shoot one-handed duelist style and easily reach the lower Bisley style hammer while holding the revolver higher at a level with one's eye so as to look through an adjustable rear sight. "Bisley" Vaqueros are actually a "hybrid" of a Bisley with a Vaquero (Colt SAA clone) fixed front blade sight and a "U" notch rear sight. My aging eyes cannot see the "skinny" front blade sight of Vaqueros so I switched to Ruger Blackhawks and the one remaining pair of "Bisley's" I own are actually Blackhawks with adjustable rear sights, large ramp style front sight, with Bisley grip frame and Bisley hammer.

Bisley style Rugers are highly regarded for duelist and gunfighter shooting because the low hammer and shorter reach lets a duelist cock QUICKLY without losing their master grip. A hogleg grip and high hammer on standard Vaqs usually leads a single-handed shooter to shift up and down on the grip. The shorter and weaker the shooter's thumb, the worse the problem gets. And then, short-stroking the Bisley hammer makes it the cat's meow for duelists, IMHO.

I've shot both. My (always single duelist) times are faster with Bisleys than with the same .45 Colt guns in standard Vaq style. I've got medium size hands and don't have tremendous hand strength. Wish I laid bricks for a living (when the sun's shining).

Most fast two-handed shooters don't have any use for Bisleys. The hammer spur is so low, they can't reliably reach it. In fact, I'm not quite sure why they bother putting on SBH hammers, either, except for the wider spur surface.

Your times may vary. Good luck, GJ

The trigger is also shaped differently. These are most appreciated by the duelist or gunfighter shooters. I also like the grip shape for hot loads in .44 mag. My hand size is such that I can put my pinky under the grip like some do with the regular grip. For two handed shooting with off-hand cocking, I do like the normal hammer profile and grip.

I have a pair of old .357 Bisley Vaqs w/ short stroke and they shoot (double) duelest very nice. Big guns. About worthless for shooting two handed style at speed though b/c of the short stroke mod. I have big hands and they fit me very well - I still drop a pinky off the bottom though. I also really like the more curved trigger that the Bisleys come w/.

jb

Bisley grips or a love/hate relationship. The only opinion that counts is yours. The only way to find out if you will like a Bisley grip is for you to try them. No one can tell you how they are going to feel in your hands.

While I don't care for the Bisley grip, I do have a short barreled Bisley that I carry while hiking. The Bisley grip is much more comfortable when shooting HOT loads (45 LC, 300gr @1100 or 1200 fps).

If you come out to FT. White on Saturday you can test mine out. Or next month at Ghost Town. Zipper said there will be a December shoot.

Howdy

When I first changed over to shooting nothing but Black Powder in CAS a few years ago I bought a Ruger Vaquero Bisley chambered for 45 Colt. This was the larger 'original model'. I had been shooting both Ruger Vaqueros and Colt clones with 45 Colt for a few years but everything I had heard about Black Powder was that the recoil would be much more substantial and the larger Ruger Bisley grip would be a good idea to cope with the increased recoil.

I shot the Bisley at exactly one match. Never bothered to shoot it again and eventually sold it and used the money towards a Colt. Turns out that recoil with Black Powder was not as fearful as I had been led to believe. Turns out that even with a full house 45 Colt Black Powder load the traditional plow handle grip works just fine for me. I do keep my pinky curled under the grip, I never try to cram my entire hand onto the grip. This leaves about 1/4" of space between the rear of the trigger guard and the knuckle of my middle finger. This combination means the trigger guard never whacks my knuckle when the pistol recoils. I do allow the grip to rotate slightly in my hand, which brings the hammer spur closer to my thumb, but to tell you the truth, I do not have any trouble reaching the hammer spur anyway.

So for me at least, I decided the Ruger Bisley grip was not something I was interested in.

Be advised, the Ruger Bisley grip is only an approximation of the original Colt Bisley grip. The original Colt Bisley grip curved much further forward at the front. The Ruger Bisley grip is loosely based on Elmer Keith's custom Number 5 grip, it is not much like the original Colt Bisley grip.

If I ever find a reasonably priced nice old Bisley Colt I would probably grab it. Just don't care for the Ruger version.

The advice to try before you buy is good advice.

Would not take for my Ruger Bisleys.

Tryed all the others. Owned many of the others. But ALWAYS go back to my Bisleys.

But then. I only shoot Duelist of GFer.

Thinking about doing some two handed shooter for a change. Will shoot Blackhawks for that.

But for Duelist and GFers. Most that I know (not all) shoot Bisleys.

Is you can. Try before you buy. I tryed. And have been shooting them from then on.

Never liked the feel of the Ruger Bisley grips, or the old model Vaqueros either. Trigger seemed too far out. The smaller Colt frames feel more natural. Ended up with a pair of Uberti Colt Bisley clones. They are a little bigger and heavier than the standard COlt, but are a lot more comfortable than the old model Rugers for my hands.

After having to lay off shooting for a while, I shot a couple of matches two handed with plow handle guns. Shot high a lot, specially with my right hand on the grip. (I'm kinda oddball since I use whichever hand I draw with as the strong hand)

I'm gonna go back to duelist/gunfighter after The first of the year. Hopefully my front sight will be closer to where it should be.

Bisley grips or a love/hate relationship. The only opinion that counts is yours. The only way to find out if you will like a Bisley grip is for you to try them. No one can tell you how they are going to feel in your hands.

Best answer you'll git-

Love the look so I bought a pair-

Hated the feel-

I have a pair of Roooger OMV 5.5 SS Bisleys. Wouldn't trade 'em for all the BHO Solar Stimulus checks in crony capitalism.

I learned to shoot with Glocks. With the plow handled Rugers I was always shooting over the targets. The Bisley backstrap angle is very similar to the Glocks. I found I can instincually point the Bisleys. I now shoots pistols much better, except when I don't.

However, you have to decide. It's what you do best with.

Started out with Uberti plowhandled Cattlemen, shooting DD, then GF. Liked the lowered hammer of the Bisley, bought a pair of OMV Bisleys. Loved 'em fer GF. They were my main match guns until we approved the Montado hammer. Then bought a pair of NMV and installed Montado hammers. Been shooting them ever since. Take the Bisleys out every so often, and still like 'em, but the plowhandle grip with the Montado hammer works best. The OMV Bisleys are a little heavier, but, in .38's don't really provide any advantage. Best advice, as already offerred: try 'em before you buy 'em.

I've ether purchased Ruger Bisleys or converted the plowshare grips to Bisleys on all my original model Vaqueros (9 of em). My first Bisley was a New model Blackhawk back in '98. Thinner grips than the later models.

I've got large hands so the grips fit me well and point more naturally for me. When I'm shooting fast I tend to shoot high with plowshare grips. The Bisleys help with that problem. I don't have any difficulty with shooting two handed and cocking with my off thumb.

I have seen lady shooters with very small hands using Bisley grips on their Rugers. They did have the grip panels modified so they weren't so dang thick and shaped to fit their hands. They didn't have any problems holding on to them. And no problems out shooting me.

As has been said, guns are like boots, try em out for fit before you buy. There is always someone that will let you try their guns.

Doc McGee

Archived