SASS Wire Forum

Found in the buttstock

Oddnews SASS# 24779

A few months ago friend of mine made me a great deal on an old Steven 235 hammered shotgun that had belonged to his grandfather.

I haven't messed with it very much. I'm sort of saving it for the day that I convert to Frontier Cartridge, and as I don't yet have the rifle I want for that, I basically staked the gun against the wall.

It has a flaw common to old doubles that use a thru-bolt in the stock. The stock is loose. Tonight I was bored and decided to see if I could tighten the butt without shims or other paraphernalia. When I removed the buttplate, if found a tight roll of paper, little larger than a postage stamp, rolled up in the hole for the thru-bolt. It consisted of two pieces of paper, folded together and bound by a piece of paper tape. Both papers provide the name of a Mr. Paris Gore and an address in Columbus, Mississippi. One of them also includes the serial number of the gun.

I think my real plan (once I have the bolt tightened up and none of my screwdrivers will reach it), is to re-tape the pieces and put them back. I have no idea who Mr. Gore was, but he did a good job of taking care of his shotgun -- and it's only flaw is cosmetic, a big dent in the receiver on the left-hand side. Somehow I just find it interesting to think of someone 70 years ago stepping out after a duck or dove in Mississippi with a weapon that is still somewhat elegant and useful.

I've often heard of things being found in buttstocks of rifles and shotguns. Have always meant to take off the butt plates of the rifles I have that were my grandfathers, but have yet to get around to it.

I actually ran the name. Depending on how current the Web is, Mr. Gore may still be alive, age 90, in either Columbus or Caledonia, MS.

Any pards in that area?

Google Maps, satellite, shows a fairly substantial home at the address.

I actually ran the name. Depending on how current the Web is, Mr. Gore may still be alive, age 90, in either Columbus or Caledonia, MS.

Any pards in that area?

Google Maps, satellite, shows a fairly substantial home at the address.

That doesn't too awful far from Tuscaloosa.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the Liberty of posting a link to this thread over in the saloon.

The only person by that name I could find was born in 1920 and died in 2002 in Columbus Mississippi ? Mink.........

My guess is that's my guy. I found a name, and an age, but no details like that. But that would makehim only 82, and the age I found was 90.

It's not really necessary to find Mr. Gore - I just thought finding his information was interesting.

Hunting license, money, maps, you never know what you will find once you remove the butt plate. I make it a habit to remove the butt plates from the 97's that I get in just to see what, if anything, is inside.

A few months ago friend of mine made me a great deal on an old Steven 235 hammered shotgun that had belonged to his grandfather.

I haven't messed with it very much. I'm sort of saving it for the day that I convert to Frontier Cartridge, and as I don't yet have the rifle I want for that, I basically staked the gun against the wall.

It has a flaw common to old doubles that use a thru-bolt in the stock. The stock is loose. Tonight I was bored and decided to see if I could tighten the butt without shims or other paraphernalia. When I removed the buttplate, if found a tight roll of paper, little larger than a postage stamp, rolled up in the hole for the thru-bolt. It consisted of two pieces of paper, folded together and bound by a piece of paper tape. Both papers provide the name of a Mr. Paris Gore and an address in Columbus, Mississippi. One of them also includes the serial number of the gun.

I think my real plan (once I have the bolt tightened up and none of my screwdrivers will reach it), is to re-tape the pieces and put them back. I have no idea who Mr. Gore was, but he did a good job of taking care of his shotgun -- and it's only flaw is cosmetic, a big dent in the receiver on the left-hand side. Somehow I just find it interesting to think of someone 70 years ago stepping out after a duck or dove in Mississippi with a weapon that is still somewhat elegant and useful.

Thats a great find I have had several 235's and never found anything inside the but plate . I did buy a Win. 97 a few years ago and when tearing it down I found a 1952 resident North Dakota hunting license inside with a duck stamp on it . it was well preserved from the oil in the stock I unroled it and have it framed in my gun room . The 97 has a 32" full barrel I still shoot it with a 26" cyl front end it's my favorate 97. Woodfox

Hunting license, money, maps, you never know what you will find once you remove the butt plate. I make it a habit to remove the butt plates from the 97's that I get in just to see what, if anything, is inside.

Oh darn...was thnking of what might be in that '97 I am in process of getting from you....:P

Have a good day!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Gore listing

here is the link to the Columbus Vets Cemetry. and a couple of Gores are listed including?

Paris Gore

US Army

WW2

20 Dec. 1921- 3 May 2002

Good place to start to look, and seems appropriate to show this list on this day..(11-11-11, Vet. Day.)

good hunting

curley

PS: I didn't notice it the first time I read it, but it says it is an African-American Cemetary....hmmmm

Gore listing

here is the link to the Columbus Vets Cemetry. and a couple of Gores are listed including?

Paris Gore

US Army

WW2

20 Dec. 1921- 3 May 2002

Good place to start to look, and seems appropriate to show this list on this day..(11-11-11, Vet. Day.)

good hunting

curley

PS: I didn't notice it the first time I read it, but it says it is an African-American Cemetary....hmmmm

Wow, this is going further than I thought. Thanks.

I've often heard of things being found in buttstocks of rifles and shotguns. Have always meant to take off the butt plates of the rifles I have that were my grandfathers, but have yet to get around to it.

============================================================

In the buttstock of a M1 Garand that was returned from Denmark that I got from CMP a few years ago was a label with the name and service number of the Danish soldier it had been issued to at one time.

I also have a 1944 Walther P-38 with original soft brown leather holster, 2 mags and 24 rounds of 1943 dated ammo that was brought back from Italy at the end of WWII by my stepmom's brother. When I got it and inspected it more closely, I found a wadded up piece of newspaper in the spare mag well in the holster. I smoothed it out and it's a piece of classified ad section from the German newspaper Die Grune Post, dated 2 April 1944. I'm gonna try it out on an on-line translator one day and see what was for sale.

First '97 I bought was a riot gun. When I took the buttplate off I found a paper from a police department back east showing the weapon had been serviced and signed by a sgt.

Archived