SASS Wire Forum

Dumb Dillon question

Mack Hacker, #60477

In all the Dillon product info, they give ratings for the 550 that are faster than the SDB.

Since they both turn out a round every time you cycle the handle and the SDB has autoindexing, what accounts for more output from the 550?

Pardon my ignorance because I load on an SDB and have never even seen a 550 in operation.

Optional casefeeder maybe?

Grizz who loads on a rock chucker, one round for every three pulls and hand prime.

That might account for the top end of the range, but the 550 is still higher on the lower end.

D/550 is smoother with better leverage, plus you have more room to work with, more user control with better "feed-back" to the operator .

The D/550 is easier to maintain/service also. ;)

Respectfully,

LG

That's the answer in a nutshell.

I have both and I use the 550's (I have 3) a whole lot more.

Another plus for the D/550 is the fact it uses standard off-the-self dies(7/8"X14).

The SDB doesn't ;)

The D/550 was built with the idea of loading more than one caliber.

The SDB wasn't ;)

The D/550 is built like a Ruger(frik'n tank), it's easy to work on, clean and adjust as needed.

The SDB isn't ;)

Cheers,

LG

Back to the original post.

I am not interested in a new loader, so I really don't care what the many advantages of the 550 over the SDB are. I still do not understand what makes the 550 inherently fzaster than the SDB.

Are there fewer failures per hour?

Can the handle be cycled faster?

Is there some enter-cycle activity that takes less time?

I am not interested in a new loader, so I really don't care what the many advantages of the 550 over the SDB are. I still do not understand what makes the 550 inherently fzaster than the SDB.

Having run each, I believe the 550 is slower, you have to manually rotate the plate between each pull of the handle. Personally I prefer the SDB as I do not load rifle calibers. It is easy to change calibers on a SDB no matter what others have said, as long as the two calibers are both pistol calibers.

Re-read post #4 ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Archived