SASS Wire Forum

Lost another cowboy

Mack Hacker, #60477

Joe Larry Wimmer, aka Sawdust Joe, passed away this morning at 11:00 in a nursing home in Celina Texas. He was raised in Phillips in the Texas panhandle and loved hunting and shooting all his life. He is survived by his wife Jan; daughter Gretchen and husband Brian; Son Grant and wife Shawdee; and two grandchildren.

Joe and I had worked together and hunted together for over 30 years, but in 2004, he discovered Cowboy Action Shooting in a magazine and drug me to Buck Creek, Nemo, TX and the Comanche Valley Vigilantes to see what it was all about. Over the next 3-4 years, he shot with the Comanche Valley Vigilantes, Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club and Green Mountain Regulators.

We shot together, rode together. reloaded together and built carts together as long as his health held out. As dementia began to slip in on him, he began to worry about his safety with firearms. He was an excellent gun handler and at no time ever posed a safety risk, but he came to me and asked, "How will I know when it is time to put up my guns?" I had anticipated the question and answered, "Quitting two years too early is better that two seconds too late." It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Joe never shot competitively again.

He never won a match; his only "clean" match had a "P; and he passed still thinking a reload with no powder is called a "squid"; but he's still the best shooting pard I ever had.

Archived