SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 extractor

Padrino SASS#40228

I was at a shoot recently and got 33 rounds off with my Uberti 73 (.32WCF), then it failed to extract and eject the fired case, and brought the next round up and jammed the rifle. Easy enough to get it un-jammed, but after having a friend look at it, he told me there's no tension on the extractor. Is this an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Padrino

Check the crosspin that holds the extractor to the bolt.

I had one break on me last month.

May be your problem.

--Dawg

The extractor can get a build up of burnt gunpowder residue under it..

Yeah... it doesn't look possible but if you pull the extractor and gently raise it up

You can clean it out with things like aresol Brake Cleaner..

Might be able to do it in the rifle if you want to try..

But be careful prying up on the extractor to get the cleaner in there to flush it out..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I ain't no gunsmith :)

I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination, so take this as hearsay only and wait for more informed postings, but:

When I had the same problem with my 32WCF(32-20), I was told by I a local cowboy smith that Uberti did not have an extractor that was peculiar to that caliber. They simply used the 38SP part and failures to extract were common on these rifles. He did a litlte contouring on the old part and it has served me well for 4-5 years.

FWIW

He said there is no tension on the extractor.......... I take that as it is bouncing over the rim, causing a failure to extract. You do need some tension in the extractor or it will do just that.

I have 2- 73's, one with a C&I extractor and one with the Uberti part. You never know what you will get from the Italians regarding springs, they can last indefinitely and others will fail within a box of shells. I've been told the replaced extractor is ready for a replacement or at least nearly so. I suppose I should replace it before the next major match, it really is cheap insurance.

I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination, so take this as hearsay only and wait for more informed postings, but:

When I had the same problem with my 32WCF(32-20), I was told by I a local cowboy smith that Uberti did not have an extractor that was peculiar to that caliber. They simply used the 38SP part and failures to extract were common on these rifles. He did a litlte contouring on the old part and it has served me well for 4-5 years.

FWIW

What Mack said.............

Mink.........

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

I've cycled rounds throught it since, and it mostly works fine. It's just an intermittant problem but obviously one that stops you shooting a stage. Think I'll go ahead and get one from C&I.

Regards,

Padrino

Archived