SASS Wire Forum

Reloader

Gen. Longstreet 5525

What are you going to be reloading? Shotgun rifle and pistol or all?.I use a Dillon 450 which I purchased used.(good way to start on a budget)Also a single stage Rock Chucker and a MEC 600 jr for my shotgun.How much will you be loading......do you shoot only one or two matches a month.How many different calibers will you be loading? Make sure you get a loading manual.Speak to some of your pards and see what they use and maybe get a lesson or two before you make a final decision.Of course I can load a larger quantity faster on the Dillon but I can also load at a pretty good rate with the Rock Chucker (single stage) Not to mention I load for 2 shooters.

Do your research and ask lots of questions...........that will help you make the best choice for yourself.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

If considering Dillon this is a excellent source to get info from and to buy from BRIAN ENOS . New reloaders are often shocked by the cost of some of the equipment. It's an investment, and Dillon products hold their value better than any other press on the market.

I would get a Dillon 650 w/ casefeeder if you can afford it. I would buy several reloading manuals such as Lee, Lyman 47th or newer, Loadbooks, etc before loading any ammo. Dillon has excellent service and warranty support, the 650 will go plenty fast (saving time) and the resale value is pretty good. It is a progressive and can use any dies (I use Lee).

As you already own a reloader, I assume you want to upgrade?

I have two Dillon 650's and a Dillon Square Deal B.

The SDB loads pistol calibers only an requires Dillon dies. It is a great reloader and works well. Auto indexes. No case feed available and no powder check die location. Reasonable price. Caliber change takes about 15 minutes.

The 650 is in my mind, the Cadillac of reloaders. Case feed, auto index, low primer warning, spot for powder check die (really good idea!). With a full tube of 100 primers, I can load 100 rounds in 7 minutes without rushing. Caliber change (of the same primer size) takes a couple of minutes if you have additional head. Afew more minutes if you have to change primer size.

Both loaders have 100% lifetime no BS (and that is really no BS) warranty.

As with any reloader, they are mechanical, and need to be kept clean to perform flawlessly.

Dillon's web site has full details and their staff can answer any questions you might have. The call takers are the same folks that build them, so they know what they are talking about.

If you decide later to sell a Dillon, you will get almost what you paid for it, if you take care of it, due to the warranty that is transferable to any new owner. If you buy it used, you are still covered by the warranty, no questions asked.

Archived