SASS Wire Forum

Goex Reenactor BP

Just wondering if any of y'all had any experience with this BP. Here's the product description from Graf's website:

-This new powder is dedicated to the historical reenactor and the value conscious

black powder recreational shooter.

-Reenactor Gunpowder loads the same by volume charge as regular grade black powder

-This new product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon

Also suitable for recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at

low pressures

-With 100% black powder ignition, it is reliable with every shot

I shoot .38special 1cc ffg and was wondering if anyone had tried this powder for frontier cartridge loads.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Generally speaking, "reenactor" powders are blends of different granularities(sp?) and are not very consistent. They work ok with blanks, where consistency doesn't matter, but I would not use them live rounds where any type of consistent performance was expected.

Titus,

I would SHOOT IT!!!!!!!

Goex Cowboy was a combination of different grades. It worked fine. I have used fg , ffg and fffg from all kinds of brands.

In my opinion use what you can get your hands on for the least amount of money. For what we do it all works fine.

If I was shooting big bore 1000yd benchrest I WOULD NOT USE IT. But for COWBOY it should work FINE...

I used it to reload shotgun with it without a problem and would again. Only reason I am not using it now is because I came across some BP at a lower price through a fellow shooter.

I never tried it in my cap & balls or cartridges, for which I use 2F Triple 777

Goex Reenactor is probably Fg powder that is packaged from the larger grains out of the sieving process with a reduction in the polishing process. It may even have less wheel mill mixing turns. It is not the same as Fg to FFFFg that is polished to formulate 'sporting powder'.

Can CAS shooters use it for reloads - sure, it will go bang. Can BPCR match shooters use it as a Fg powder charge that will produce small average fps variations and small SD's? NO!

It is simply a musket powder of the lowest order of gunpowder processing

If one wants to know the granulation and how it is processed, call Birdshot at Hodgdon. In all likely hood though, you will not be given the answers under the guise that it is proprietary knowledge :rolleyes:

I shoot Frontiersman Schuetzen has a reenactor powder and I have used it for over two years in all my guns, shotgun, rifle(45 Colt) and 1860 Army cap and ball. Works well and I've had no problems. On the Schuetzin forums I said I thought it was floor sweepings and the moderatoer said not quite, it was powder that didn't meet specs.( whatever those are, I think if it falls on the floor, it didn't meet specs.)

Kaniksu Kid

+1 for using it as a shotgun powder.

Try it in your cartridges & see how it performs. Load up enuf for 1 match & see how it does.

--Dawg

Archived