SASS Wire Forum

"Country Music" ?

Jack Houston # 35508

Ok I miss george strait, randy travis and those guys...

I'm very eclectic with music. Classical to rock country jazz blues opera and even SOME pop. Just keep that polka away from me!!!!

With all the good singers out there its a shame there aren't more classic country singers.

Evil ( who is an anazing singer....in the shower....with ear plugs. . .) Dogooder

Them real fast guitar pickers and their gamer guitars and drums have ruint country music.

Nashville producers have their heads in the sand and can't see reality for all the influence that $$$ is bringin.

Give me some some good ole Statler Bros., Merle, George, Willie, and alittle Carrie Underwood. She sure looks country to me in that short dress. :wub:

They don't sing country and they sure don't look country.

This country started going down hill when Richard Petty stopped racing. And NASCAR lost all its flavor when Dale died.

..........Widder

Widder, if it weren't for them drums in country music, I'da starved to death a few years ago. Sho nuff loved beatin on my tom tom watchin them hot pickers hit a few licks on their "gamer" guitars. Nobody could beat Buck Owens and The Buckaroos for good hard driving country music.

Them real fast guitar pickers and their gamer guitars and drums have ruint country music.

Nashville producers have their heads in the sand and can't see reality for all the influence that $$$ is bringin.

Give me some some good ole Statler Bros., Merle, George, Willie, and alittle Carrie Underwood. She sure looks country to me in that short dress. :wub:

This country started going down hill when Richard Petty stopped racing. And NASCAR lost all its flavor when Dale died.

..........Widder

Add some Johnny and Kris and we could ride the coach roads with the Highway Men, they were the greatest.

Brim.

There's a local C&W station that plays, in their words, "Country and Western", with a lot of (as they also put it) "Traditional Country". That includes a lot of the roots/early stuff as well as the classics. One of their commercials asks if yer "tired of all that rock with only a thin veneer of country". That, to me, describes today's pop country sound. I don't hear but about one out of ten (or twenty) on the mainstream "country" stations that sounds authentic to me. Gotta sell to the younger set, I s'pose.... Guess I'm just old.... But I do like real Country and Western.....

..........Widder

Amen and Amen!!!

A friend recently asked why I had stopped listening to the local "Country" radio station and I told him that country music had degenerated into bad rock music.

I now mostly listen to a satellite station that plays old (40's to 60's)country music in the mornings.

Clemsum

A coworker once referred to contemporary country as bad rock 'n roll. Methinks there is iron in his words for all George Strait fans to see.

I grew up with the biggest Johnny Cash fan in the state of Florida. I was so sick of country by the time I went to college, I couldn't stand to listen to it again until Travis Tritt and The Kentucky Headhunters came along.

Now Lionel Ritchie ?????? :unsure:

What is the World coming to???

He actually wrote quite a few country hits for kenny Rogers

Nashvegas. YUCK!

I like me some old country. Hank, Willie, Merle (Travis and Haggard), Patsy, Loretta, you get the idea. Also like Texas singer-songwriters. Max Stallings, Guy Clark, Willie and the like.

http://youtu.be/LjMKgLXx990

Well country music can be a lot of things nowdays, but my favorite is Cowboy Music and cowboy songs. Love to go to Michael Martin Murphy concerts and his music :wub: Thats what I call music....along with 60"s Rock n Roll, ah yes the Beach Boys. :rolleyes:

Well pards I know I'm getting up in my years but Country Music is going down hill. Entertainer of the year on last nights CMT Geeeeez what a stupid pick.

Was good to hear some sounds that Glen Campbell had made famous.

Country Music is my favorite but man oh man lets get it back like it use to be.

For all you purists out there I feel your pain, BUT don;t forget the new "Country Music" is #1 most listened to in practically all the major markets. There's young folks out there that have they're own version of country music. In Cleveland (The Rock-n-Roll Capital of the World) WGAR the Country station is #1. Know what I mean?

That said.... I dig the old stuff too but give the new stuff a chance, it'll grow on ya. I promise, Rye B)

For all you purists out there I feel your pain, BUT don;t forget the new "Country Music" is #1 most listened to in practically all the major markets. There's young folks out there that have they're own version of country music. In Cleveland (The Rock-n-Roll Capital of the World) WGAR the Country station is #1. Know what I mean?

That said.... I dig the old stuff too but give the new stuff a chance, it'll grow on ya. I promise, Rye B)

NOPE

I liked "Country Music" when it was "Country and Western Music" Back then they didn't scream the lyrics and turn up the volume on the guitars and drums so loud you need ear plugs to listen. Suppose someon wrote and recorded a song like "Your Cheatin' Heart" or "Cool Water" now, would they ever be played on the air anywhere?

The O'Meara Himself

COUNTRY MUSIC???

Surely you jest. There ain't much of anything coming out of Nashville that sounds like country anymore. Or at least what I think of as country. Heck, CMT doesn't even show videos any more. About as close as they get to country is the intro to the Dukes of Hazzard.

Thank goodness there is a station I can get around here that does play MOSTLY older , real country and bluegrass if I can keep the wife's fingers off'n the buttons. At least we do think alike about what is and isn't country music. Now, if there was a station around that played OLDIES......

Like the Alan Jackson/George Jones song "Murder was committed down on Music Row"

Nuff said

As a current rock and roller who grew up on original Hank, I find the newer stuff great.

Then again - I still like Hank Sr. Most of my music these days is Celtic or New Age . . . but . . .

My better half recently turned me onto the Country Music channels out here, and I find I listen to it more.

There is a lot more happy at life, pro-American attitude and Pro-Faith in it than most any where else . .

Like all things in life, God gives us choices to make: that's why he invented red-heads!

Shadow Catcher

You guys all sound like my dad when I started listening to Rock and Roll in the 60's. Like Utah Bob said, things change. Rock and Roll today isn't The Beatles and Elvis either. Hope that didn't shock anyone. But as long as Country has guys like Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, and such, it'll last forever.

Are there some groups out there I don't like? Of course. Listen to the ones you like and stop bellyaching. It's not pretty... ;)

Add some Johnny and Kris and we could ride the coach roads with the Highway Men, they were the greatest.

Brim.

I wasn't thrilled. I needed something to "Help me make it through the night"

I watched Storage Wars.

There is a lot more happy at life, pro-American attitude and Pro-Faith in it than most any where else . .

DING DING DING......ShadowCatcher gets it!!

Good music is like beauty - in the eye of the beer holder ;) Country has more melody than a lot of other genres. My kids and grand kids know all the words to the music I grew up on, both rock and country. They also like tunes from this generation. All that said, I like the more traditional stuff and am really glad for XM radio. The formula songs allow for talented musical versatility, but tend to turn me off. I do get to hear a good new C&W song now and then, it ain't all bad. :D

CR

I learned to play guitar from my uncle who played and sang Hank Snow and Hank Williams songs. His father said they weren't country -- they didn't sound like Jimmy Rodgers.

When I was in high school, I listened to Hank Williams Jr. and Alabama -- my father called Alabama "a pretty good rock band."

There are new country artists whose music I don't care for -- but country music as an art form is as healthy today as when Merle recorded "Okey from Musgokee."

Archived