SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 .375 - fitting 10 rounds

Ben Bitten

I'm looking at Rossi 92 or even Marlin 1894c (if I can find one at a fair price) for my rifle (budget. ...I can't afford an Uberti '73).

So my question is this: the Marlin 1894c will hold 10 rounds of .38spl... but only 9 of .375. What do those of you who shoot .357 with a Marlin do to get the 10th round? Shorten the spring in the magazine? Chamber a round giving you 9+1 (which I don't think is SASS legal - which would make the question moot, but I need to double check the rule book on that one), or do you just shoot another rifle if you are using .357?

I ask becasue .38 is my preferred round, but for recalcitrant knock downs a .357 will offer more force.

Thanks.

I run 38's in my marlin and have yet to find a k-d they wont handle. K-d's all sould go down with a 38 unless you are using something really light.

Most Marlins will feed .38s with an OAL of 1.5" +/- a couple of thousandths. Should hold 10 .357 with the mag spring cut to maybe 3" longer than mag tube. Someone may correct me here. You'll save money over .357 if you use the .38s.

You can't chamber a round to start any SASS match, must be loaded with empty chamber.

I'm shooting a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Special in .357. Its takes 10 easily. Had a Jimmy Spurs action job and the new spring lets it load so much easier. EMF just came out with a short rifle that side ejects and takes 10 .357 and so does Henry.

Please expand about a side-eject from EMF ???

I can't speak to the Rossi but I've got firsthand knowledge of the Marlin 1894 cuz that's what I shoot. I had to play with the OAL for a long time to find what my Marlin liked and when I found it I wrote it in marks-a-lot on my reloading bench board! For my rifle its 1.52.

I tried to cram 10 .357s in mine but couldn't. I also did not take to cutting the spring either. I loaded some .38s to 1.54 and tried to cram 10 of those in the Marlin and was able to. The only problem was the spring was so tight that when I worked the lever to put in in the rifle two jumped out. You can googe the term "Marlin jam" and find all about that. For me it was reducing the OAL to 1.52 which reduced the compression on the spring and allowed the rounds to chamber smoothly.

As far as KD's you can load up some rounds that are well within the SASS power factor but still do a good job with the KD. I have some 158 RNFP that I have loaded with a little bit more than "mouse fart load" amounts of powder that I keep in my guncart in case I run across any KD in a match. Other than that I shoot 125 TC.....a little cheaper and ring the steel just fine. For that matter 105 TC rings the steel too...just depends on what you want to accomplish....ring it loud and proud or have the spotters say "Did you guys hear that?"

Marauder's website has lots of good info on this topic. There are Marlin mechanics on the Wire that can shed a lot more light on this subject. I'm just a novice sharing what little I've learned. YMMV.

As has already been said, .38's will take down knockdowns. If they don't, the person who sets up the match needs...some educating. If you shoot .357's, you are going to find that when you arrive home, you're going to have a bunch of .38's mixed in which means you didn't get your .357's back. Trust me (and most others), you want to shoot .38's.

I highly encourage you to get out and attend matches. When you do so and you see what most are doing, it is far easier to make informed decisions.

FWIW, rounds loaded to .357 Mag velocities...are illegal to shoot in this game (exceeds 1000 FPS.) I'm wrong, that is for pistols. Rifles may be up to 1400 FPS. Anyway, it's way overkill.

Google "Snakebite" bullets. Find either a dealer sellin' the bullets or track down a mold.

Designed by none other than Mister Snakebite hisself for just this purpose. ;)

Snakebite Bullet Mold

Archived