SASS Wire Forum

Tex Rider

Howdy Friends,

My handle is "Tex Rider" though my family and close friends call me Duke.

I am a displaced Texan from the out skirts of Austin where I lived happily for years...Then I met her. My lovely wife. She couldn't take the heat of the Texas summers so we moved closer to her folks up here to the Pacific North West, Seattle area.

My passions include horsemanship, action shooting, archery, Leather-tooling, Whipmaking & Cracking, Taxidermy, slingshots, old cars and trucks, and my family.

I've been happily married to my wife for 24 years and we have an 19 year old son who is moving on to college this year, my wife is heavily involved in roller derby skating, I started to find myself sitting back watching all of my old Gene Autry and Hop-along Cassidy movies while wasting away on the couch!

So I now have some time on my hands to get back to the things that I like to do. I.e. Shooting.

I just picked up a couple of new Ruger Vaqueros in .357 with the 5" barrels, after Christmas I should have my carbine and shotgun. Until then I'll spend my time shooting and tooling a Buscadero holster set in plans to compete in "B"-Western class.

My future hopes are to join up with and shoot with the "Smokey Point Desperados", and Surely to travel to events where the climate is a lot warmer and dryer!

Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome to the fire...and I really like the Alias, can't believe it was available.

You'll find folks here really friendly and some, not all but some, are opinionated. If'n you're a visiting type you'll find lots of sociable folk in the Saloon section. There are some really knowledgeable folks around here that can answer most any gun and ammo questions. And they'll be more than happy to share their opinions on SASS rules and procedures and most anything else that comes up.

Have fun!

Thanks, I guess that I was lucky with the alias because it was simple and it suited me well.

I grew up shooting at 12 years old i had a Taurus .38 with a 5.5" barrel. And my faithful .22 colt copy. Not to mention my plinking rifles.

I spent 6 years in the Army as a Cavalry Scout and 2 years as a reserve drill instructor. So, you could say that shooting is second nature.

Welcome to the Wire!

You live in a excellent place to play this game as there are opportunities to shoot monthly matches nearly every weekend up and down the I-5 corridor... I have shot at Ravensdale, Renton, and both clubs in Olympia. There is also a monthly shoot in Poulsbo and my local club here in Port Angeles (WA) has one too. I have heard there are some other great places to shoot farther north and south, I just haven't got to them yet (starting out over here on the Olympic Peninsula makes for a long day when I travel over there)

I have yet to have a bad experience at any of the matches I have gone to, and have received all kinds of help and encouragement from just about everyone I have come in contact with.

Hopefully our paths will cross at somepoint! Look forward to meeting you in person!

J.D.

Guest Mace Bishop

Welcome Tex

Just remember that there are no strangers here, we're friends that you just haven't had the pleasure to meet yet.

G'day Mate

..... get you to a club NOW ! .....

.......... there are things to learn that no book or internet site can supply .....

....... take with you what you have and introduce yourself, You'll be pleasently surprised :)

WELCOME

^_^

Ditto what Wallaby Jack said. the Mima gang shioots this coming Saturday. ,it's a small but growing club,and they have cover in case it gets drippy out..which it does here on the wet side of the state.

IT's a real edu ma kashun to actually go to a match and see what a variety of guns are used. Very friendly groups all up and down the corridor,but watch out for Mudflat Mike at Smoky Point,.He's even meaner than his reputation,LOL. great guy in actuality.

Welcome to the Fire,and to a reallly fun shooting game.

Ditto what Wallaby Jack said. the Mima gang shioots this coming Saturday. ,it's a small but growing club,and they have cover in case it gets drippy out..which it does here on the wet side of the state.

IT's a real edu ma kashun to actually go to a match and see what a variety of guns are used. Very friendly groups all up and down the corridor,but watch out for Mudflat Mike at Smoky Point,.He's even meaner than his reputation,LOL. great guy in actuality.

Where do you shoot?

Where do you shoot?

Ever get tired of the Wet you and the missus can come down to winter range to get some Texas like weather, only closer. Last 2 years many would have said we had Seattle Like weather. Phoenix has like 10 days a year when the sun does not shine, what are the odds they would fall during WR.

Lived a about 1.5 years in Round Rock and 6-8 in El Paso. (commuted to and from DC for nearly 2 years waiting on a house to sell and find a job in El Paso)

No reason to wait until after Christmas. Start attending your local matches. Call the match director prior to the shoot and let them know that you will need to borrow a rifle and shotgun. Or just show up, and people will be throwing guns at you to use anyways. That way, by the time you are ready to buy, you will have a good idea of what you really want.

Do what Buckshot Frank said, go to matches and try out other shooter's guns. I STONGLY suggest this before you go spending your hard earned $$$ because you'll get a better feel for what you like and what's needed for the sport. A whole bunch of us did the trial and error method of choosing our guns and that gets expensive after a very short while. Try them out and buy the right ones right out of the gate. That way you'll have more $$$ for shooting. :)

Welcome to the ride.I joined 1 year ago.Wish I would have found this when I was alot younger.It is the most fun I have ever had and the people are what make the whole thing so much fun.Texas hates to lose good cowboys.Come back and visit some time.

You are going to have a grand time. Guaranteed!

And when Miss Allie Mo says it, you can take it to the bank! Of course you wouldn't be able to get a loan on it but you can take it there :lol:

Howdy pard,

If'n you ever get back down here to God's country (central Texas) plan on shooting.

There is a shoot just about every Saturday around Austin.

Welcome to the fire and HAVE FUN!!

Cowboy Small

Howdy pard,

If'n you ever get back down here to God's country (central Texas) plan on shooting.

There is a shoot just about every Saturday around Austin.

Welcome to the fire and HAVE FUN!!

Cowboy Small

Well, that's certainly the plan. I'm hoping a little competitive fun will help me convince the missus to let me show her my old stomping grounds. From Kileen to Austin to beautiful SanAntonio and anywhere along that I-35 corridor.. I miss it all. I keep telling her about the ocean of Blue Bells but she'll never believe it until she sees it.

Howdy Friends,

My handle is "Tex Rider" though my family and close friends call me Duke.

I am a displaced Texan from the out skirts of Austin where I lived happily for years...Then I met her. My lovely wife. She couldn't take the heat of the Texas summers so we moved closer to her folks up here to the Pacific North West, Seattle area.

My passions include horsemanship, action shooting, archery, Leather-tooling, Whipmaking & Cracking, Taxidermy, slingshots, old cars and trucks, and my family.

I've been happily married to my wife for 24 years and we have an 19 year old son who is moving on to college this year, my wife is heavily involved in roller derby skating, I started to find myself sitting back watching all of my old Gene Autry and Hop-along Cassidy movies while wasting away on the couch!

So I now have some time on my hands to get back to the things that I like to do. I.e. Shooting.

I just picked up a couple of new Ruger Vaqueros in .357 with the 5" barrels, after Christmas I should have my carbine and shotgun. Until then I'll spend my time shooting and tooling a Buscadero holster set in plans to compete in "B"-Western class.

My future hopes are to join up with and shoot with the "Smokey Point Desperados", and Surely to travel to events where the climate is a lot warmer and dryer!

Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome to the Pacific North Wet. Many of us love it here - and suffer drying cracked webs when we visit the dry places,

but we still lament the rain and talk of it all the time. It's a ruse to keep the Californio's down there, and not up here,

but lately it don't work so good!

As you will no doubt soon discover, we have ranges everywhere that shoot CAS every weekend, all year round, and we are fairly

good at proving that Cowboys are drip dry and water tight!

Buy a Fish Skin, some wool shirts, warm socks, and be grateful that we rarely get snow - just rain, albeit cold rain.

RUCAS at Renton seems to be the center of gravity for talent, Smokey point has some real fun folks who do a heck of a job, Mima

is growing up to be a force, Poulsbo has great folks, and the list goes on. I'm not meaning to slight anyone I didn't mention,

because frankly - there are no bad CAS clubs anywhere in the world, but we do have some real fine ones here! Folks in Oregon do

right proud too, and they come up here and prove it right regular like!

Go to a few matches and watch what works and doesn't . . there's lots of real cool stuff out there - and like fishing lures

catch fishermen, many CAS accessories catch shooters, even if they don't win races. Go see what is working in the real world,

because that's the only laboratory that matters.

I'm in Carnation, and I shoot at RUCAS and at Smokey Point, because they're each within an hour of me, but I've shot at other

places and will shoot at more yet. Just show up - you'll be at home over the first cup of coffee . . .

Welcome to the fire!

Shadow Catcher

Tex,

Welcome, I'm south of you in Vancouver,Wa. There are several clubs in this area that you will want to vist someday. We will be shooting at Mima this Saturday. Come on down and meet some of the best people on planet earth. For directions go to the clubs directory on the SASS home page.

G;lad to meet ya Tex. Head over to the Saloon fer a drink.

You can put it on Okie Sawbones' tab. ;)

...Until then I'll spend my time shooting and tooling a Buscadero holster set in plans to compete in "B"-Western class...

If you are intent on doin' that, get out to the clubs and visit with the B-western shooters (they are easy to spot!). The category has lots of requirements and lots of ways to satisfy them so it really helps to talk with them that have "been there, done that".

Welcome to the dance.

Olen

Thanks for the good advice; I'm headed out to visit with the folks from the Smokey Point Desperados on this coming Sunday.

Yur shore welcome ta come an' shoot this Saturday with the Mima Marauders at the Evergreen Sportsman's club south of Olympia.UPDATE: Mima's match cancelled due to bad weather as of 10:30am this mornin'.They have rain covers over their bays fer when th' sunshine comes in liquid form :P

An' we'd shore welcome ya next week on Sunday at the Cascade Ghost Riders' match in Ravesdale (East of Maple Valley, of course).

Like others have mentioned, ever'buddy will lend ya guns, jist bring yur ammo an' sumbuddy'll have guns ta fit.

Saddle up!

:FlagAm:

Thanks all, I visited with the gang at smokey point on Sunday and I had a good time. The weather was fair the folks were polite and I had a good time.

I'm still looking for a shooting partner in the Edmonds or Lynnwood area to go to the range with or just to chat about the sport over coffee or a beer.

If anyone local is interested please email message me.

Tex.Rider@live.com

Archived