SASS Wire Forum

shot and powder mixed together

Butch McGie, SASS#71758

Just wondering --when one forgets the wad and winds up with a case of shot and powder - does someone have a method for salvaging the shot and powder? I usually pick out some of the shot with a pair of forceps and pitch the rest out into the grass. And resolve to be more attentive.

Depending on the shot size, pour the combined shot and powder onto a window screen. The powder falls through and the shot stays on top of the screen.

PS: save the screen ... just in case! :D

Winnow the powder away from the shot.

In other words, I set a fan out on the grass, place a pan on the ground, pour the mixed shot and powder in front of the fan. Powder blows out on the grass (great fertilizer) and the shot falls into the pan. The cost of the powder in a few shells is so low, that I'm not concerned. The shot is worth a little more.

Good luck, GJ

Depending on the shot size, pour the combined shot and powder onto a window screen. The powder falls through and the shot stays on top of the screen.

PS: save the screen ... just in case! :D

That is the best option, but if you have no screen handy, you can salvage the shot using a bowl of water. Use the water/powder mixture to feed the plants.

EDIT

Garrisons Joe's fan suggestion would be better.

That is the best option, but if you have no screen handy, you can salvage the shot using a bowl of water. Use the water/powder mixture to feed the plants.

Yup, powder floats, shot does not. 1 1/8 ounces of shot is more valuable to me than a little bit of powder.

This is NOT from experience, it's just a theory I have for a good technique. The tools you'll need are your shot/powder mix, a pie pan, a large open space (Preferably outdoors) and a match.

Yeeeeee HA!!! :P

Now THAT'S the fun way to do it. I'd add a little "technique" suggestion....make sure you have a REALLY LONG match. :lol:

I use a stainless steel collander, like for rinsing vegetables etc, the shot stays in the mesh, the powder falls through. Save both that way.

Sometimes I get a spill of powder mixed in with shot and I do this.

This is NOT from experience, it's just a theory I have for a good technique. The tools you'll need are your shot/powder mix, a pie pan, a large open space (Preferably outdoors) and a match.

Yeeeeee HA!!! :P

From experience,, shotgun powder in open air, piled up and in a pie pan, will rapidly burn ,, no explosion, rather a flash/burn that perhaps last a second or two. Bigger the pile, the higher the flame. So don't have your arm over the pile of powder or you will singe some arm hair. BTW, the more flat the pan, the better, so's you can keep your hand with match/lighter off to the side rather than over the pile. A long match or lighter with extended snout is safer yet.

I just pour the hull of mixed powder/shot back into the shot bottle and keep going.

I use a kitchen sink screen strainer, can be had at most fine grocery stores, with a china 'egg drop' soup bowl. The powder sifts thru the screen leaving the shot. :P

just because it works for me. :ph34r:

The ceramic soup bowl works for me cause I use it when hand dipping blackpowder loads and within arms reach on loading table and cause the sink screen fits on top of the bowl like it was made for it. :rolleyes:

I do it the hard way.I pour it into the palm of my cupped hand and gently let it roll into the other.Shot moves as does some powder,Pour the powder left into a container and repeat til most of both are saved.

I use THE SEPARATOR. It looks like a really big shotshell.You just open the top and dump the mix in,put the top on and shake it pull the botom and dump the powder and pull the top and dump the shot.It come in red and green.Some powder is to big to go thought the screen.I use in when pulling bullets also.

I was loading shotgun shells when I noticed the MEC shot bottle was nearly empty. I grabbed the 1/2 gallon milk container of shot and poured it into the powder bottle. I salvaged the most of both by using the window screen idea.

I use a mesh drain strainer.

Comes in three size pack at WallyWorld for $1.98 or so!!

Looks like little mesh cowboy hats.

Place on a cup, drop the load in and shake...powder falls through.

Pour the powder in the hull, put in the wad, pour the shot in...Da DA!!

Your back on line!!

BH

I use THE SEPARATOR. It looks like a really big shotshell.You just open the top and dump the mix in,put the top on and shake it pull the botom and dump the powder and pull the top and dump the shot.It come in red and green.Some powder is to big to go thought the screen.I use in when pulling bullets also.

Ditto!

If you load your own shot shells I highly recommend you purchase one of these and keep it by your loader.

+1 for the match method. It's soooo pretty ! I don't use short ones, I just toss a few until one lands on it. Yea, the matches are probably worth about what I save, but again.... it's so pretty ~

For the last 35 or 40 years I have used a common kitchen sieve. Works great on all but the largest flaked powders. Just pour the mix in the strainer, held over an empty plastic container, like a Cool Whip container and shake the sieve. The powder will fall thru and the shot will stay in the sieve. Everything is saved. The sieves are available anywhere cooking utensil's are sold, including Wal-Mart.

When purchasing a sieve, look for one with the coarsest screen that you can find. One with very fine mesh screen doesn't work well.

RBK

Any links about "The Seperator?" What does it look like and where can it be purchased.

Any links about "The Seperator?" What does it look like and where can it be purchased.

Precision Reloading

Separator

Archived