SASS Wire Forum

New (Old) Marlin 1894 C 357

Wild Walt. 92206

I just picked up an older 1894C in 357. Looking at the Marlin site, it looks like it may have been manufactured in 1981 (serial number 1904XXXX.

I spent the evening doing the Widdermaker mods on the inside, and it runs great with the factory carrier.

The only thing that I noticed is that the extractor looks to be different. It looks like it is possibly spring steel with the bottom bent in a tube where the pin goes through it to keep in in the bolt. Also, there is no external spring on it.

I did not modify it because I am not sure if a new one would fit in there if I screwed it up.

Does anybody know if a new one would fit?

Also, on a side note, it sure does run nice.

I have a 1873 Codymatic that I purchased used from Colt Faro a couple of months ago, and it is a super rifle. I bought this one to use as a backup.

I am not sure which one is going to be the backup now. Tough decision!

I just started this sport after about 20 years of Highpower rifle. I think I just wanted something to justify buying more new toys!

Big Bad Dad:

I don't know ifn the old style extractor and the new style extractor are interchangable.

But, I've only set up 1 Widdermatic that had the old style extractor and I must admit it was a small venture for me to set it up correctly for the angle feed mod. But once I got it right, it worked extremely well. That particular Widdermatic Marlin now lives down in Louisiana and belongs to a great young shooter.

Sounds like you done good. Congratulations.

Wish I could be more knowledgable about the older Marlin vs. the style we have now.

Best regards

..........Widder

I have two of those older ones with the spring type extractor. The newer ones don't fit. I've been meaning to see if a smith might be able to do some work on the rifle to make the newer, heavier extractors work. These older ones are getting harder to find.

They've been known to imprve stuff during model runs, Grizz. The ejectors changed during the early years after introduction of the 1889's.Started with the 1893 and 94 then a retrofit for the 89's. Probably an improvement after guns were out in the field for awhile.......Buck :blush:

Here is some info:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/marlin-LA_CRexteject.htm

I remember seeing an ejector that had a very long and strange spring in some old 1894 Marlins. I believe that Marlin said the new ones could replace them - but may need to be slightly fitted.

Here is some info:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/marlin-LA_CRexteject.htm

I remember seeing an ejector that had a very long and strange spring in some old 1894 Marlins. I believe that Marlin said the new ones could replace them - but may need to be slightly fitted.

Thanks I'll try to order a couple of those pre-79 models tomorrow.

Archived