SASS Wire Forum

Looking for good Lever Gun gunsmith

Rube Burrows

I am working on a project and need a good lever gun gunsmith who will put a barrel on for me and properly headspace it. The smiths around here either dont want too mess with it or dont have time or dont know how I guess.

The rifle started off life as a Winchester 94 20" round barrel carbine. I am changing it to a 26" octagon barrel in 38-55.

I was hoping to not have to send it off but there are just no good lever gunsmiths around here.

Thanks for any info.

I am working on a project and need a good lever gun gunsmith who will put a barrel on for me and properly headspace it. The smiths around here either dont want too mess with it or dont have time or dont know how I guess.

The rifle started off life as a Winchester 94 20" round barrel carbine. I am changing it to a 26" octagon barrel in 38-55.

I was hoping to not have to send it off but there are just no good lever gunsmiths around here.

Thanks for any info.

Call Nate Kiowa Jones - http://www.stevesgunz.com/ - he is the '92 guru, but may do this work or refer you to a competent 'smith.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Lonnie Ammann of Tejas Long Rifles in Hearne, TX (near College Station) could do it. 979-279-5859 or 979-279-3400. It might be expensive. I know a pard who had sort of the opposite done. He had an octagon '73 and wanted to make it a round barrel. Because of the stuff that had to be done to the forend and magazine hanger, sights, etc (plus buying the barrel), it ended up costing him a lot more than he had planned (but he likes it). Good luck.

Call Nate Kiowa Jones - http://www.stevesgunz.com/ - he is the '92 guru, but may do this work or refer you to a competent 'smith.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I knew Steve was the 92 guy....but didnt think about him for the 94. I will see what he says.

Lonnie Ammann of Tejas Long Rifles in Hearne, TX (near College Station) could do it. 979-279-5859 or 979-279-3400. It might be expensive. I know a pard who had sort of the opposite done. He had an octagon '73 and wanted to make it a round barrel. Because of the stuff that had to be done to the forend and magazine hanger, sights, etc (plus buying the barrel), it ended up costing him a lot more than he had planned (but he likes it). Good luck.

Thanks. I will also look into this. I am doing everything myself with the exception of the barrel and headspacing. I dont have the proper tools for that part of it and obviously dont want to take any chances there.

Might look at Run-n-Iron. Several pards have remarked about their high quality work. They DO know lever rifles.

http://www.runniron.com/general/index.html

Good luck, GJ

I turned my '66 over to a local gunsmith that came highly recommended. Big mistake. The toggle link leverguns are not as easy as they look. It took about 2 months to get it shooting right again.

A "gunsmith" that cannot thread, chamber, and headspace a barrel seems a long way from being a gunsmith. A true gunsmith has learned a amazing aray of abilities.

Yep. And I have run into a lot of folks with a shingle hung out who have proven to me that they "are a long way from being a gunsmith".

Good luck, GJ

Archived