SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch 1911 question

Hopalong Strong

Every time I shoot Wild bunch I wind up with a whole lot of leading in the throat of the barrel. What is the cause of this? I understand that leading at the muzzle end suggests not enough lube. There is no leadng there but tons at the chamber end. Any suggestions?

Several possible problems.

1) undersize slugs. Mike your bullets, should be 0.452 or 0.453 for most 1911s.

2) try a harder alloy, if you are not already using a "hardball" type alloy.

3) try a moly -containing lube. Seems better at handling leading for me than the super-hard wax lubes.

4) and, it's a problem that I still fight with my 1911, even after 40 years. Lots less leading than I used to get, but still a little. Lewis Lead Remover when it's tight.

Good luck, GJ

Several possible problems.

1) undersize slugs. Mike your bullets, should be 0.452 or 0.453 for most 1911s.

2) try a harder alloy, if you are not already using a "hardball" type alloy.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, what he said. And you might want to slug the bore and do a chamber cast. Cerrosafe - just to be sure.

That's your problem sized @ .450. As suggested earlier use a .452 sized lead bullet that should elimanate

leading issues in most ACP barrels.

Goatneck

One other thing, run about two mags of fmj ball ammo through your pistol at the end of the day. Just shoot them into the berm after everyone else has cleared the firing line. It will help remove a lot of that leading and make cleaning easier. Learned that little trick in rookie school 45 years ago after shooting swc ammo all day every day for a week.

Lone Dog....Good point. in WB or CAS if one is using a 45LC Rifle the bullet size can be increased to .454 This will eleminate nearly all the blow back, improve rifle performance and keep your hulls much cleaner of course. Use of .454 in your 1911 will not improve performance

Goatneck

Your Springfield 1911 should use .452 size bullets, .450 is a mite small and that's probably the source of your leading issue. Other than that, (leading) you aren't going to hurt anything by shooting them small bullets. Garrison Joe gave ya some good info.

I use 200gr RNFP, .452, the same ones I use for 45LC and 45S&W. Most guns in that caliber use 452's not .454 though there are some guns that still have bores that size, older ones for example. Slug the bore to be sure. (you're springfield is most assuredly .452) You could use .454 I suppose, a couple thousanths isn't going to cause pressure problems unless you work up a max load with .452 and then switch to the bigger bullet. The issue however will be they might not chamber.

Archived