SASS Wire Forum

Why Can't I Find Stuff Like This?

Subdeacon Joe

you just don't look in the right places Joe I have run across a couple of barn finds similar to that but didn't have the money to buy

Just out of curiosity, anybody ever heard that knob called a "necker knob"?

I get it. I just never heard that phrase. Called it a "honey hugger" around here.

I get it. I just never heard that phrase. Called it a "honey hugger" around here.

Never heard of those for brodie knobs before.

Dawg Hair wrote:

You must have clean thoughts and lead a pure saintly life.

Ah! Leaves me out for sure.

Never heard either of those terms but they're pretty descriptive. We knew them as "suicide knobs".

Having one of those rap your knuckles as a steering wheel unwound (non power steering) was pretty painful.

More

Never heard of those for brodie knobs before.

Dawg Hair wrote:

Ah! Leaves me out for sure.

Great, old enough to remember them...Brodie knobs...Bench front seats...Saved on room money...And don't forget the AM only radio...With the Wolf Man out of Mexico...

Texas Lizard

Great, old enough to remember them...Brodie knobs...Bench front seats...Saved on room money...And don't forget the AM only radio...With the Wolf Man out of Mexico...

Texas Lizard

And late at night picking up stations from lord knows where because of skip. Had to work swing shift for a while, used to listen to the Spokane Chiefs hockey games. And I live in N. Calif.

And engine compartments that actually gave you room to work in. Plus engines that you didn't need a degree in computer science to work on.

my question......................the yellow California plates?

Also, necker knob? Always called them 'knuckle-busters' or 'brodie knobs'. Had them on my old pick-up and my '60 Rambler.

That is what color they were back then Tom

California used the Yellow Plate with Black letters and numbers through 1962. 1963 Calif. changed to Black Plates with Yellow letters and numbers. 1963-1969. 1970 was the first year with Blue Plates and Yellow letters and numbers.

Black Plates had 3 letters then 3 numbers. Blue Plates had 3 numbers then 3 letters.

Big Jake

Yeah, but it wasn't a California car until 2003. Car was bought and registered in Idaho, 1940.

In California, you can buy an old set of plates from the year the car was mfg. at a swap meet and register them as personal plates with the DMV. This is what the new owner has done. Lets people know what year the car is without asking the driver.

Big Jake

In California, you can buy an old set of plates from the year the car was mfg. at a swap meet and register them as personal plates with the DMV. This is what the new owner has done. Lets people know what year the car is without asking the driver.

Big Jake

Big Jake beat me to this statement Tom

I have 3 sets of plate for my 38 GMC that I built not sure I will use any of them

I have a nice 1966 GMC 3/4t 2wd pickup in the barn with ~45,000 original miles on it that my dad bought new in '66. He died in '88, and, although I start it a couple times a month, it's barely been driven since he passed. I put it on Craig's List earlier this year and sold it to a feller who drove up with cash money, but left it parked in the barn saying he would come back for it... it's going on seven months now, I haven't seen or heard of him since, and I'm still holding the title... weird. I don't remember the guy's name and have no contact info for him either.

I have a nice 1966 GMC 3/4t 2wd pickup in the barn with ~45,000 original miles on it that my dad bought new in '66. He died in '88, and, although I start it a couple times a month, it's barely been driven since he passed. I put it on Craig's List earlier this year and sold it to a feller who drove up with cash money, but left it parked in the barn saying he would come back for it... it's going on seven months now, I haven't seen or heard of him since, and I'm still holding the title... weird. I don't remember the guy's name and have no contact info for him either.

After a year passes, I'd call it abandoned. You still have title. Keep or resell it. Just sayin'

Big Jake

1940s Barn Dodge

Some great photos.

You know Joe I just thought of something my Step Dad has a '57 Chevy 4 door that his Mom & Dad bought new at the end of '56 that I am suppose to get when he dies that and a '97 Winchester shotgun

Similar. I sold a camper at a garage sale in the summer of 2010. Accepted a check that cleared the bank. I still have the camper. What's with that?

Archived