SASS Wire Forum

1873 Toggle Links

SIESTA, SASS #21303

I have heard about the toggle link system of the 1873 rifle and always thought that there was just one set of links. I have never had mine apart to see the mechanism. I discovered a website with photos of disassembly and reassembly by Manatee and Marauder where it shows two sets of links, one set on either side of the bolt. You learn something new every day.

Siesta

I just had mine apart after the match today. Since it was the last match of the season I took the rifle completely apart to give it a thorough clean and lube. I can confirm there are two. I can also confirm that the tiny pin on the bolt will fall out and bounce God knows where if you are not paying attention. It took a good 30 minutes to find it. :rolleyes: The rifle is reassembled, cleaned, lubed and put in the safe for winter storage.

And if you get them in reversed, you can load empties in the mag, load it like a muzzle stuffer and it will eject fully loaded rounds suitable for any match. :)

I just had mine apart after the match today. Since it was the last match of the season I took the rifle completely apart to give it a thorough clean and lube. I can confirm there are two. I can also confirm that the tiny pin on the bolt will fall out and bounce God knows where if you are not paying attention. It took a good 30 minutes to find it. :rolleyes: The rifle is reassembled, cleaned, lubed and put in the safe for winter storage.

Yup. I learned a long time ago never to take a toggle link rifle apart unless you are someplace where the parts won't get lost. The links in my '73 are in there very loose. All that holds the links in place are the side plates. With the side plates off, my links will fall right out of the gun if held sideways. I also scratched some small letters on my links indicating which one is for the left and right side, as well as which end goes to the front. This can come in handy if you don't have an exploded drawing handy. Not all guns are this loose, with some the pins will stay in place from friction. With my '73 the pin likes to fall out and get lost. So I only take it apart on the bench with a towel spread out to catch the parts and keep them from rolling.

P.S. If you accidentally reassemble the gun with just one set of links in place, it will work, but I don't recommend it.

Archived