SASS Wire Forum

Front sight question

Chief Rick

Need some clarification please. I seem to remember a big discussion several months ago in regards to painting the rear surface of the front sight. If I remember correctly, white was an acceptable color to paint the rear surface of the front sight - but I can't find that thread.

Shooters Handbook states:

Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy erabead, blade, simple post, or

otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as

steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any fluorescent materials

may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

Rear and front sights may be blacked painted, or plated in the colors of the previously

listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must

cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

Edit to add - I am specifiaclly asking about revolver sights.

Yep, I believe your post answers your question... right there in your quote from the handbook. Ain't "ivory" sometimes "white"?

Yes it is - and that was my response to someone at a match. But since the book doesn't specifically state white as an approved color - there was still debate.

Yes it is - and that was my response to someone at a match. But since the book doesn't specifically state white as an approved color - there was still debate.

The rule DOES state that WHITE is acceptable.

...ivory, faux ivory... are included in "...the previously listed materials."

Can a SAA Revolver have the barrel milled for a front dovetail and an adjustable front sight installed?

Depends on the configuration of the sight itself.

IF the dovetailed sight remains "adjustable" in any manner, the revolver is no longer 'legal' for use in those categories that require a FIXED sighted revolver.

Refer to SHB p.6

Archived