SASS Wire Forum

Any Bobwhite hunters here?

Interested in what you use for a shotgun, gauge, and type (i.e. pump, auto loader, SXS or O/U.) Also what size shot. I prefer #8.

My limited experience has been with a 16 gauge single shot as a lad, and a 12 gauge auto as an adult.

No more quails around here to hunt. When I do get to go I use a 20 gauge LW 1100 with improved cylinder barrell, and 7 1/2 shot. Years ago when they were plentiful I liked my 1100 28 gauge skeet gun with number 6 shot. Get 4 or 5 on most ever covey rise. Sure miss shooting them little winged bombs.

BMC,

Shame on you for using such a big gun. Are you trying to hurt those little birds or are you trying to kill them?

You know I am just kidding you. I am about to embark on quail season here. (as soon as the rattle snakes go into hibernation) I use a Beretta o/u Silver Pigeon II 28/20 combo but I have never shot the 20 ga. barrels on this set. I use skeet chokes with #8 lead pellets. We never leave our hulls in the field. I made a deal with a customer of mine to take me on a private quail hunt. Just me and the dog. It's something I have always wanted to do.

BMC,

Shame on you for using such a big gun. Are you trying to hurt those little birds or are you trying to kill them?

You know I am just kidding you. I am about to embark on quail season here. (as soon as the rattle snakes go into hibernation) I use a Beretta o/u Silver Pigeon II 28/20 combo but I have never shot the 20 ga. barrels on this set. I use skeet chokes with #8 lead pellets. We never leave our hulls in the field. I made a deal with a customer of mine to take me on a private quail hunt. Just me and the dog. It's something I have always wanted to do.

And I will be awaiting reports on your hunt. Pictures also please. I have looked at that little 28 gauge on the computer but I have not been able to find one to fondle. I think a 28 gauge on Bob would just about right over a good dog. I also think #8 lead pellets are the ticket.

Badger,

Last time I went (was still livin in California) I had a real nice Ruger O/U in 20GA. Just loved that gun. Hunted in the hills of the San Joaquin Valley. Used some #8 loads. Never will forget, we hunted down this one hillside, got a few birds, rested and had a bite to eat then had to hike all the way back up the hill to the car. That little Ruger must have gained 30lbs by the time we got there.

Badger,

Last time I went (was still livin in California) I had a real nice Ruger O/U in 20GA. Just loved that gun. Hunted in the hills of the San Joaquin Valley. Used some #8 loads. Never will forget, we hunted down this one hillside, got a few birds, rested and had a bite to eat then had to hike all the way back up the hill to the car. That little Ruger must have gained 30lbs by the time we got there.

You would just love hunting chukars over in the Snake River hills. They run a little bigger than Bobwhites

but the dang things fly up the hill and you get to walk up the hill, then they fly down the hill and you get to walk down the hill.

Best way to do it is to hunt in pairs and one guy is on top and the other guy is below. That way you both get some shooting. A light gun and light shot is in order.

My cousin's name is Bob White. He would, however, take exception to being hunted. He shoots back.

When I have the opportunity to hunt quail, I prefer my 1908 vintage Parker Bros. VH 28 ga. SXS with double triggers, extractors instead of ejectors and 28" bbls. choked M/IC. 7-1/2 or 8 shot work fine for me in this gun. -- GIT

When I have the opportunity to hunt quail, I prefer my 1908 vintage Parker Bros. VH 28 ga. SXS with double triggers, extractors instead of ejectors and 28" bbls. choked M/IC. 7-1/2 or 8 shot work fine for me in this gun. -- GIT

That would be big medicine for Bobwhites.

By the early to mid 60's when I was hunting quail with my dad, he used a Remington Sportsman 58 with a Cutts Compensator on it. I believe that it has a skeet tube in it. We shot 12 GA hi brass(power) 7 1/2's. In Virginia you could only load 3 shells at a time. Dad was good enough that on the good rise, he would get 3 or 4 with the first shot, 2 or 3 with the second and 2 with the third. This was not a thing that happened every day but often enough that several game wardens liked to hunt with him just to see the show. Dad played semi pro baseball in the 40's. Sadly, as we all know those days are not more. No hedge rows, over farming, more and more homes and I'm sure there are those who would say the birds were overhunted.

Yes, I still have the gun. It has not been shot since dad died in '94. I have turned down offers of $1,000 for this gun.

Shenny

I either use a winchester single in28 or a coast to coast 410 single both with #8 shot. Works fine.

I either use a winchester single in28 or a coast to coast 410 single both with #8 shot. Works fine.

Would that single be a model 37?

I gave mine to my Grandson as his first shotgun.

Great little gun. It gets the job done. In the hands of MY Grandfather that gun brought

home a lot of meat. It was bored modified barrel.

I use a Stevens 311a sbs in a 20ga with #8 shot for all small game .

It gits the job done real well !

Yeah, that would work for the most part. I would want a little heaver pellet for rooster pheasants I'm thinking, but now that we have to use steel shoot, bigger shot would be a must. Maybe 7 1/2 for quail and chukar and #2 or 4 for pheasants. Them critters run a lot.

Pre fescue which ruined habitat, no market for Coyote skins and nobody shooting "chicken hawks" I hunted with an Ithaca side by side 20 ga, IC and Modified with #9 shot for quail and dove. The only change for pheasants, in Kansas, was to go to Winchester Double X-Super X in a 3" magnum shell with #6 shot.

The only bird hunting in Missouri worth while is on various hunting preserves.

Of course there are those that do hunt speckled crows and 'yotes. They use .17 cal rifles and shoot them sitting at extreme ranges. Those that do, on their own property, actually have a few quail and some rabbits.

Haven't been quail hunting in years. Used to go with an Uncle that bred and trained bird dogs. He was probably one of the best wing shots around, but wasn't worth a d..urn on skeet or trap. Some of my better memories are of traipsing around Roan Mtn with him and Dad.

I carried my 1100 with 7 1/2 shot or #6 if it was grouse season.

Sure would like to try it again, this time with my coach gun.

Interested in what you use for a shotgun, gauge, and type (i.e. pump, auto loader, SXS or O/U.) Also what size shot. I prefer #8.

My limited experience has been with a 16 gauge single shot as a lad, and a 12 gauge auto as an adult.

I prefer Robins.. lol I understand there is still a bounty out on me in WI.. lol

When we did still have a huntable population of them in these parts, I hunted them with a Winchester 1300 in 20ga. But then again, I hunted most everything with that gun...lol. I am considering trying this spring to start raising a few and releasing them into the wild around here. I know is a long shot at getting any kind of population back up.....but I sure do miss hearing their calls. Dont miss having them blasting out of the brush in front of me and scaring the crap out of me...lol....especially when trying to stalk up close to other game

When we did still have a huntable population of them in these parts, I hunted them with a Winchester 1300 in 20ga. But then again, I hunted most everything with that gun...lol. I am considering trying this spring to start raising a few and releasing them into the wild around here. I know is a long shot at getting any kind of population back up.....but I sure do miss hearing their calls. Dont miss having them blasting out of the brush in front of me and scaring the crap out of me...lol....especially when trying to stalk up close to other game

:lol: :lol: But that is what they do, Smokey. I had thought about getting some eggs and hatching them and then releasing them into the woods around here, but we get so much rain and dampness that I doubt that they would survive. Besides, I am against introducing new species into a habitat.

But you are sure correct that they can scare the bejeebers out of you, especially if you are intent on other things when they flush all around you.

When there were more of Mr. Bob,

I hunted 'em with a 20 ga. Browning Superposed Pigeon grade that I purchase in Germany new for $400 in 1971.

Last time I hunted Quail was at my Grandpaw's ranch outside of Sonora, Tx. Walked up the side of a large stock tank and there were Hundreds of quail around the edge of the water! I let loose with both barrels in quick succession. Everyone of them flew away :unsure: Just like deer hunting I gave up <_<

Cowboy Shootin' is alot more FUN!!! B)

I have to say, hitting a pop up is easier than hitting a flushing quail when you just filled your pants with

mush. I have flushed probably hundreds of coveys while rabbit hunting and/or pheasant hunting. It still gives me a rush and a smile.

Archived