SASS Wire Forum

We just now had an earthquake!

Pulp, SASS#28319

I'm sitting at the computer when my chair started rocking back and forth. My wife hollered from the bedroom, "We're having an earthquake!" She was on the phone with her brother in Lawton, OK (240 miles from us) he said we're having an earthquake, and just a second or two later we felt it. First one I've ever felt. I slept through some in Japan when I was a wee tyke. Nothing fell off the walls or anything, but the house sure enough rocked back and forth 3 or 4 times.

Here's the news story on the one I felt:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/06/52-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-oklahoma/?test=latestnews

Had one last night, too, didn't you? http://www.koco.com/r/29691136/detail.html

Gotta wonder what is going on back that way. Are they precursors? Or just relieving strain? Fortunately, the largest known in OK was a 5.5. Get your attention, but not a huge one. Knock stuff off of shelves, might take out some chimneys. Nothing to get real excited about.

I'm sitting at the computer when my chair started rocking back and forth. My wife hollered from the bedroom, "We're having an earthquake!" She was on the phone with her brother in Lawton, OK (240 miles from us) he said we're having an earthquake, and just a second or two later we felt it. First one I've ever felt. I slept through some in Japan when I was a wee tyke. Nothing fell off the walls or anything, but the house sure enough rocked back and forth 3 or 4 times.

Ouch.. tornados and earthquakes? I look at a earthquake site a work from time to time. It is amazing how many there are in the world ..

Had one last night, too, didn't you? http://www.koco.com/r/29691136/detail.html

Gotta wonder what is going on back that way. Are they precursors? Or just relieving strain? Fortunately, the largest known in OK was a 5.5. Get your attention, but not a huge one. Knock stuff off of shelves, might take out some chimneys. Nothing to get real excited about.

If that one made it down here it didn't wake me up! :lol:

Tonight my son and family were asleep, woke them up, scared the stuffing out of my granddaughter. They live about 30 miles NE of us, in Broken Bow, OK.

If that one made it down here it didn't wake me up! :lol:

Tonight my son and family were asleep, woke them up, scared the stuffing out of my granddaughter. They live about 30 miles NE of us, in Broken Bow, OK.

My dad had a couple ranches around Castle.... and a cabin by a little lake around there about 10 years ago.. The tornandos I remember.. are the earthquakes new to you?

The way it slapped the house I thought it was another tornado! USGS said 5.2 magnitude. It was felt all over central Oklahoma plus down toward Gainseville and DFW. Friend in Abilene, Texas said he felt it. My cats took off like.....well scalded cats!

The way it slapped the house I thought it was another tornado! USGS said 5.2 magnitude. It was felt all over central Oklahoma plus down toward Gainseville and DFW. Friend in Abilene, Texas said he felt it. My cats took off like.....well scalded cats!

Hey.. Yellowhouses... have you guy had an earthquake before that you remember?

Here's a handy site for pards who want to track earthquakes => http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

It's amazing to see just how much rockin' & rollin' this little rock of ours does.

Took a while to find it but it appears to have been the Meers fault. Reports say that it was a blind thrust fault.

I was a fiduciary in a blind thrust onct.

Or maybe it was somethin else. :unsure:;)

Deja, Oklahoma has several per year, usually up in the center part of the state, but usually only 2 or 3 are strong enough to even feel.

Marshal, what I found last night said the epicenter was just SE of Chandler, OK. That's about 30 or so miles NE of OKC. Meers is down by Lawton.

Archived