SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmithing question

Old Scatterbrain

I just watched my first (and LAST) episode of American Guns, and they cut a bolt-rifle barrel with a hacksaw. I have no idea, but certainly didn't imagine it being done that way.

There was also a whole laundry list of :wacko: that I won't bore you with, except this: if you were a secret agent and wanted a vehicle-mounted gun, why on earth would you select a 7-round .380ACP handgun?

I am sure they chucked it up in a lathe after cutting to true it up and cut the crown. I saw the same episode, they cut a tactical reset crown on the barrel.

Wasatch

Yes they did, but I was just surprised to see them cut it with a hacksaw. Is that the norm?

Well, a good shop probably has a horizontal reciprocating saw, or perhaps a bandsaw. It's faster usually than chucking up a parting tool, then a crowning tool, in the lathe. A hacksaw with a fresh blade certainly is not going to damage anything, like, say, forcing a chop saw's abrasive blade through the barrel. And, with practice and a high-tension hacksaw, you can get a pretty straight and close to square cut.

Good luck, GJ

Hobbiest gunsmiths have been cutting barrels with hacksaws for as long as there have been long barrels and hacksaws. The muzzle has to be trued and crowned afterward and Brownells makes a set of hand tools to do that job for guys that don't own a lathe. It is faster than disassembling the gun and setting it up on a lathe and I have done it many times myself. Using the Brownells Muzzle facing tool and crown cutter with the correct pilot gives a very professional finish and the gun will shoot as accurately after the operation as it did before. However, like most things the skill of the operator can drasticly impact the finished product.

Bugs

I just watched my first (and LAST) episode of American Guns, and they cut a bolt-rifle barrel with a hacksaw. I have no idea, but certainly didn't imagine it being done that way.

There was also a whole laundry list of :wacko: that I won't bore you with, except this: if you were a secret agent and wanted a vehicle-mounted gun, why on earth would you select a 7-round .380ACP handgun?

I watched the show also, one word comes to mind, BOGUS.

Drifter

Archived