SASS Wire Forum

Holster problems

ORNERY OAF

Pards,'

I'm shootin a couple 47 walkers and I want to shoot frontiersman but I'm havin a devil of a time finding holsters for them.. I would like the right side holster and the second a crossdraw for right handed shootin. Any ideas please help a pard out. The holster with flap advertised by TotW only fit dragoons and not the walkers as advertised.

Load Em hot and heavy

Ornery Oaf

OO, have you actually given thought as to what style holster you want? For these old style capo and ball guns I really prefer the Slim Jim, but that is a personal preference thing and even has some drawbacks with the long barls. I really liked the Josey Wells look and actually went so far as to make my Walker holster like his, a short cut Slim Jim made to look old and beat-up. Get your ideas together on what you want in this holster and go to the site below to post your needs. There are many custom Western style leather workers there who can run the gamut from a good basic holster to true works of art. Several of them actually monitor this board and will probably speak up today. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

+ 1 for Slowhand's comments. His link to the cascity leather workers website also includes a section of completed holsters. You might find a design you like and could contact that maker. A custom maker can make a pattern to fit any pistol.

Great website, I have always used single loop open top holster for my 1860's when shootin frontiersman but the walkers are too daggone big. From what I understand these guns were actually carried in a holster on the pommel of a horse, lol. I will post for holsters on that site, thanks

OO

I once made a holster for a Walker for a gent that weighed no more than 110 lbs and stood about 5'-1"! I never heard any complaint from him, but I have always wondered how he kept his pants up if he sneezed! :rolleyes: And you want to wear a pair of the critters? Oh, well, at least you'll be balanced! Maybe a pair of ankle holsters. At least the muzzles would bear against solid ground! :blink:

Seriously, you would probably want a pair of slim jim style, with a 2-1/2" wide belt. You also may need to have the belt loops have a bit more drop to them than would be authentic, just to be able to get those 9-inch tubes clear of the top of the holster, even with the front of the holster tops cut a bit lower.

Hope this helps.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Archived