SASS Wire Forum

Ruger SASS Vaquero Setfor $1329?

Rancho Roy

One guy on gun broker had them for 1125.00 or the sass rugers SS.

Sounds kind of high. Ruger does not charge extra for sequential serial numbers. Usually all the dealer has to do is call the distributor and request them. I would think most dealers would give you a better deal for buy two at one time.

Just checked on Gunbroker and there is a set of .357 and a set of 45LC NIB SASS Vaqueros for $1100 plus $25 shipping...that's about as good a price for new SASS Vaqueros that I've ever seen.

As already stated, consecutive serial numbers are no cost to the dealer and should not be considered with pricing. I think you can easily find a better deal. That price is a bit high.

Roo

Consecutive serial numbers are useless and add no value to your Rugers. Some folks like 'em, but they should not be a cost factor. Figure it as a sales gimmick. Its strictly something to impress the neighbors.

Pardner, I just picked a pair of "New" Vaquero's

SS .44 Special Sheriff model w/consecutive serial

numbers for $960.00 shipped to my FFL dealer.

I've been looking for about 8 months when I found these.

My old models set me back $1065.00.

Happy trails

QDG :FlagAm:

New Model SASS Vaqueros COME as a set, with consecutive serial numbers. Unless things have changed, they ONLY come new in pairs, w/SASS in the serial numbers, which are consecutive. Come in a special red plastic 2 gun carring case.

I purchased a new set last year in 357 and including sales tax were a tad less than $1200. The 357's have 4-5/8 inch barrels, not 4-1/2 inch. They have SASS logo's in the grips, Have Montado hammers and wide rear sight notches.

RBK

Thanks pards...........

You see, here in the peoples republic of Massachusetts, we are not allowed to buy ANY SAA revolvers except for a couple different models from Ruger (See Ruger web site where is says "Mass Compliant" in the descriptions) No Vaquero Bisley, No SASS, No Uberti, No Colt...................I freak'n hate this state!

BUT............If you have SAA pistols that were in the state before 1998, when the law was passed, then they are legal and can be bought and sold. So the price for a Uberti "Cattleman can fetch upwards of $600 and they do! A SET of anything will be crazy money.

So yes, there are SASS pistols available for less, but not in this Barney Frank state.................

Thanks for all the input!

OOpps! I just checked on the Ruger site and the Ruger SASS revolvers ARE Mass Compliant!

I could order a set from someone else and have them shipped to my FFL....................

OOpps! I just checked on the Ruger site and the Ruger SASS revolvers ARE Mass Compliant!

I could order a set from someone else and have them shipped to my FFL....................

If that's the case then you have a few choices. You can buy at rock bottom prices from someone you don't know and then have them shipped off to someone to do any "slicking up" at some extra cost or you can buy from some of the reputable cowboy gunsmiths that will sell you the guns already slicked up and not have to pay shipping for two guns twice. In the long run it pays to support these cowboy gunsmiths and if you have any problems you'll know where to find them and you'll find that most stand behind their work.

I bought my pair of SASS Vaqueros from a local gunsmith that works a lot on SASS guns and I paid what I think is a fair price for the guns and work together.

Just the view from my saddle.

GL with your purchase.

In the case of SASS Rugers, unlike a lot of other firearms used in SASS, buying rock bottom straight from the factory is a legitimate choice. New Model Vaqueros are pretty good right out of the box. SASS Vaqueros come with wider rear sights and lower hammers which are two of the reasons you might want a smith to work over your gun. Ruger provides really good support. Look at what Longhunter does to SASS Vaqueros, he changes the springs and does a lot of checking and some adjustments as needed. Valuable yes, but things you might want to do for yourself. Compare that work to what he does to any of the Colt clones.

With SASS Rugers shop for price and have work done as needed.

Thanks for all the great advise. Buying from and supporting the gunsmiths that support our sport is always a positive option.

I'm a pretty good garage/hobby gunsmith (www.rvbprecision.com). I attended a few of the NRA gunsmithing summer schools and took both Hamilton Bowen and Ron Powers classes and learned a ton. I've rebuilt SAA revolvers from the scrap box and taken brand new and recut the forcing cones and bored the cylinders. My wife thinks I like messing with the guns more than shooting them! (She might be right!) Slicking up a SAA and installing a few aftermarket parts is not a difficult proposition. If you have the proper tools and go slow and easy with the Cratex and Dremel......

thanks.....

I'm a pretty good garage/hobby gunsmith (www.rvbprecision.com).

Given your skill I vote for what is behind Door #3. Go to to some matches and shop for a used pair of guns. You should easily spot any problems and what it would take to fix them while saving money over a new set.

Remember new guns are going to look used after a season of shooting anyway.

i have 3sets of the sass ruggers came in the red cases one came from long hunter.1200 is the average price.these guns i would not buy sigh un seen unless from a reputable dealer that is recomended.there are people out thetre don't know the differance. the price may seem like a good deal,but what happens when you put out the dust and donget what you want, pluss you shipping and probally a ffl cost as not in cluded in the final. i alway price the toys delivered to my hot little meat hooks.

Archived