SASS Wire Forum

WWII FDR prayer opposed by president? really?

Well, as someone who contributed to the National WW II Memorial building fund (this memorial was built with private donations, as I remember, as Congress did not want to appropriate any funds to it), I find that the BLM director is just following the law that he has to follow.

From article:

Abbey explained to lawmakers that altering the memorial would be contrary to the Commemorative Works Act -- a law that prohibits "encroachment by a new commemoration on a existing one." It also respects the design of the "completed work of civic art without alteration or addition of new elements."

The design of the monument did not include FDR's prayer. That it was a very fine prayer I do not dispute. But, putting an extra plaque up in the memorial with that prayer, would break the law. So, it's not really a matter of getting indignant - the requesters are just raising the issue about 8 years too late. Why didn't the fine Congressman from Ohio (or someone else) bring this up when the American Battle Monuments Commission was developing the design for the memorial? Design was finished up in 2003! I'm just glad the the President requested that memorial be built - know which one? Hmmmm, William Jefferson Clinton. Too bad it wasn't finished in time to take my Dad to it.

I kind of like our national memorials left as they were built. I wouldn't want a billboard stuck up at Mt Rushmore or a plaque added to the Lincoln Memorial, either.

Good luck, GJ

Oops, I will stand corrected by the facts on the funding.

"The memorial received more than $197 million in cash and pledges. This total includes $16 million provided by the federal government."

More reason to send the current moron packing.

Or does he want this prayer transliterated into an Islamic prayer for his followers.

While I am not normally a fan of Presidents from the democratic party, I must say that FDR is considered by many to one of this nations greatest presidents.

Archived