SASS Wire Forum

Rifle Advice

PCS

Howdy!

We are new to SASS and am in the process of looking for two rifles for my family. I want 357/38 caliber, but have no idea which rifles are the best. I have been told that some brands are okay to start with, but as shooters get faster they will slow you down. So, I would prefer to go ahead and purchase ones that we can use for years and not grow out of. Any suggestions as far as brand/model? If you have an extra one laying around you want to sell, I would like to hear from you too.

Thank you!

g.borders@spectruminvestigations.com

Google Long Hunter Shooters Supply and/or Pioneer Gun Works and look at the Uberti 1873 Winchester reproductions. Much easier to buy directly from a cowboy gunsmith that has already done their magic - you'll save some money that way too. Also, note that the 1866's look really good with that shiny brass, but they lack the lever safety that the 1873 has (just something to consider).

Major

Howdy!

We are new to SASS and am in the process of looking for two rifles for my family. I want 357/38 caliber, but have no idea which rifles are the best. I have been told that some brands are okay to start with, but as shooters get faster they will slow you down. So, I would prefer to go ahead and purchase ones that we can use for years and not grow out of. Any suggestions as far as brand/model? If you have an extra one laying around you want to sell, I would like to hear from you too.

Thank you!

If I had it to do all over again I'd just start with a 73 or a 66 made by Uberti. It sells under the name of Uberti, Cimmaron, Taylor and others...bottom line Uberti. I would not run away from a marlin, but would not do the Rossi or Henry thing. Just my two cents.

KK

Howdy!

Thank you!

If you want the Cadillac of rifles get a '66 or '73 made by Uberti (preferably already slicked up by one of the many good cowboy gunsmiths)

BUT

before you buy anything go to a shoot or two and try several different models, lengths and manufacturors. You may (probably will) find that what works for one cowboy/cowgirl may not be the best for you or other members of your family. Different guns weigh different, point different, swing different etc etc etc so that could/should play a big part in your decision.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I started with a 92 and had it slicked and loved it until I shot a slicked and short stoked 73 at the range.I have a very nice 73 and love it. I still have my 92s but it is hard to put down my 73.Some of the good gunsmiths that have been named offer from 18" barrel to 24" barrel.You really need to go to some shoots and feel the guns and see which ones feel the best to you and your wife and kids.You did not say you had kids but if you do.Just my 2 cents.

Google Long Hunter Shooters Supply and/or Pioneer Gun Works and look at the Uberti 1873 Winchester reproductions. Much easier to buy directly from a cowboy gunsmith that has already done their magic - you'll save some money that way too. Also, note that the 1866's look really good with that shiny brass, but they lack the lever safety that the 1873 has (just something to consider).

Major

Went through 3 different ones, this says it all., you can't go wrong

Howdy!

Thank you!

and welcome to the fun, is both fun and addictive, be safe and have FUN...and if you got your family in it also, just that much better :wub:

Howdy!

Thank you!

Simpler is best to start. Don't worry about slicking, short strokes etc, that can come later. I'd stay away from Winchester 94's; the actions are long and clunky. 92's aren't bad but my first pick for y'all would be a Marlin. Next up would be a 1873 clone. In all of them they can be had with different stocks and barrel lengths which is personal preference. Shorter barrels handle better when negotiating around props, doorways, windows and such. Longer barrels, depending, balance better for some and the long length is offset by handling qualities. Largely a matter of personal preference.

Marlins are simpler to break down for cleaning but really, all you need to do between matches is open the action, clean the barrel and scrub out what you can see in the action.

I would suggest the next match, ask some pards about the different rifles, bet they might even offer to let ya shoot'em and then make up your own mind.

Kinda depends on what your goals are and what you are willing to spend.

There are some Rossi 92s out there starting about $350 - $400 if you catch the right deal. Can get them slicked up if you feel necessary for in the neighborhood of $170.

Uberti 73s and 66s start at about a grand slicked can get into the 1400 range.

There are marlins out there that seem to be faster than 92, and maybe a tad slower than 73. No clue as to cost as I have never had an interest in them.

Speed wise

Slicked 73 -66 fastest

Slicked marlin

Unslicked 66 - 73

Unslicked marlin

Sliced 92

and unslicked 92.

Mostly shoot my unslicked 92. Carbine stock little shorter than rifle makes my shortish arms work lever easier but probably slower than my slicked 92 rifle

Just about every match I wear out the hour glass they use to time me, have fun and dont care. For the match fees the club can afford a new 3 min egg timer every match. Prolly 99 cents at the dollar store.

For a slightly different take: I origianly chose a Browning B-92 in 44 magnum, figuring that a 44 magnum Carbine was a useful thing to have around whether I was playing cowboy or not. Turned out to be a good decision. I no longer use it for CAS, but my oldest daughter shot her first deer with it a couple years ago.

Some of our CAS guns are so highly specialized that they have little practical use outside our sport. I own and enjoy such guns, but for starting out one may want to consider something more versitile. :FlagAm:

In reality, it is what YOU want. Try each of them out and make up YOUR mind which one is best for you. The only two (three if you count the 66) I would reccomend are the Uberti 73/66 and the Marlin 1894's. If you go with a 92, you will eventually change to one of these if you like to go fast.

But, if we must, here are some things off the top of my head,

73 (Uberti) Pros

Very Fast

Considered by many as the Cadillac of Cowboy rifles

Reliable

Readily available new and used

Many variations and options with barrel length, stock configurations

Holds 10 plus rounds

Easy to sell used

73 Cons

Expensive

Ejects rounds out of the top of the receiver (you get use to the hits on the hat)

No ejector, only inertia (works well normally)

Parts often hard to obtain, some darn near impossible (long wait from Italy)

1866 is similar but has loading gate problem Uberti will not address (plan on buying a new one)

Marlin Pros

Half the cost of a 73

Been around a long time

Reliable

Light and more compact (ladies like its overall feel and length)

Holds 10 plus rounds (not in carbine configuration)

Easier to slick up and modify for the home smith

Most parts easy to obtain

Lots of aftermarket parts

Easy to sell used

Not made in Italy

Already has a short stroke

Marlin Cons

Limited number of configurations

Occasional problem with the carrier (Marlin Jam)

Not readily available in many areas (Marlin production has stopped)

Since you want two rifles, you can get what you want and the other can be selected based on the other shooter(s). When purchasing for a spouse and/or children, let them get (within reason) what they want, not what you think they want. For the smaller persuasion, carbines weigh less and are generally smaller in size. You can always shorten the stock.

Top spot- Uberti 66 or 73. Avoid real early models because the lifter and some other parts do not interchange with newer guns.

Next best bet- Marlin (watch out for the newer ones, they have iffy manufacturing)

Bottom- 92

Avoid- Henry Big Boy, Lightnings of any brand, Winchester 94, Spencer

The latest trend in 66/73 configuration is for barrel lengths around 18" in an octogon barrel or half round/ half octogon. Prior to this, the 20" short rifle in an octogon barrel was the top choice. Some prefer a 24" barrel, but the added inches add weight. Whatever you decide, it must hold 10 rounds.

Many 73 shooters like the pistol gripped guns and they place their thumbs on the receiver, flicking the lever with their fingers (pretty darn quickly). Jimmy Stewart and his famed 73 was straight stocked and I like them the best for aesthetic reasons. The 20" short rifle (or even the 18" or so models) and the 24" rifle have their plusses and minuses, I advocate neither one, it's your choice.

After years of shooting, I aquired a 92 carbine. One reason was it is the most commonly used (though not accurate) long gun in TV & the movies. If it's good enough for the Duke, why not? It is also a gun the average guy can smooth up which can appeal to tinkerers out there. Many if not most of the issues can be addressed such as being oversprung, stovepiping, roughness, etc. with common sense, sometimes with a little help from Steve's Gunz parts, dvd, or their own solutions. Beware that ham-fisted newbies create job security for gunsmiths who fix the self-inflicted problems. It is light, accurate and inexpensive. Not everyone is in the same league as the top shooters around the league where the ultimate tricked out toggle link guns rule, so it may make for a viable choice for the rest. The carbine version may be the lightest long gun (not sure if the Marlin 94 meets or beats it) available. The 92 action is much stronger than the toggle guns and in a suitable caliber, may provide double-duty for hunting. Even just used as a cowboy gun, it can tolerate hot loads (inadvertant double charges) better than the weaker toggle guns. Used carbines can be found cheaply with little loss if/when resold (maybe $250-350). A new, fully loaded deluxe 73 might be 5 times more expensive (about $1500), a consideration to the budget conscious.

In this time of economic stagnation, the entry price in cowboy shooting keeps going up. Many pistol choices are $500 and up, rifle/carbines are $550-1500, and shotguns about $350-1,000+. As long as used guns are not worn out or gunsmithed to within an inch of their lives, they can provide considerable savings to those on a budget. Patience may find some true bargains. That said, I often find guns and gear when I have no money and few bargains when I have some dough. :blink:

I usually shoot a Marlin - love it...the carrier is no problem to fix when it produces the infamous 'jam'. (24" barrel - great pointer)

The '92 Rossi is also an excellent rifle - when slicked up it's great. Can be picky with OAL cartridge, but that can be remedied too. It's also the least expensive of all of 'em to buy. (20" barrel - very lightweight)

I also have an 1860 Henry from Uberti - great rifle too - but ya gotta learn the Henry 'hop' and if you lay it on the table wrong the barrel can twist (they are front loaders)...that can cause the spring to get stuck thereby causing your cartridges not being able to be pushed down the magazine...(heavy rifle, but fun to shoot)

1894 Winchester Trapper is rather 'clunky' and not fast...plus it only holds (9) in 45 Colt configuration. (just odd)

With all that said my next rifle is gonna be a '73 Uberti 20" barreled short rifle.....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid makes an excellent point: go to a SASS match and try a few rifles and see what you like (and don't).

I am in a similar boat; I'm new to SASS and of all of my guns the rifle is the only one I don't have yet. ...which I find to be rather ironic since I love rifles. I am very much a rifle man - and have been since I was a kid. There is nothing more satisfying than the feel of a good lever gun or bolt action in my hands!

Personally I like the Rossi 92 and the Marlin 1894... and for different reasons. They both have a good feel when shooting, and I like the action right out of the box (the Marlin a bit more than the Rossi (but only by a little), but with some general use the Rossi gets pretty smooth on its own). I also like the fact that the Marlins eject from the side. However, when it comes to pure aesthetics I love 92s! ...Always have. Gorgeous guns, IMHO.

I am on a budget so I will likely get a Rossi 92 first (R92-56001 or a R92-56011), since they are a couple hundred cheaper than a Marlin 1894C or CSS. I will eventually get a Marlin too, but it will have to wait a while.

And don't worry about slicking up your gun right away. It's not necessary. Personally, I joined SASS for the fun of playing cowboy. I'm not looking to be fast - I just want to meet folks, play cowboy, and have fun shooting some of my favorite types of firearms. So I will likely never have my guns sickened beyond what occurs over time through general use.

In the end: get what you are comfortable with (both in price and use), and have fun. :)

- Ben Bitten

Call Long Hunter at Long Hunter Shooting Supply. Order a short-stroked slicked-up Uberti Cimarron 20 inch octagon Border Deluxe rifle. It will have a pistol grip and checkering at the wrist and on the forearm. Tell Jim to put a lever wrap and butt cover on it. Might as well get the stainless mag tube too. When you get it into your hands you will have the ultimate rifle tool for this game. You will never need another.

The really great thing about ordering from LH is that the price will be not much more than other places sell stock guns for. You get hundreds of dollars of aftermarket parts and the world famous LH action job included.

Ubetii 73 is definitely the way to go and don't forget a Codymatic from Cody Conagher. I have a 73 from Longhunter and one from Cody they are both great rifles.

Call Long Hunter at Long Hunter Shooting Supply. Order a short-stroked slicked-up Uberti Cimarron 20 inch octagon Border Deluxe rifle. It will have a pistol grip and checkering at the wrist and on the forearm. Tell Jim to put a lever wrap and butt cover on it. Might as well get the stainless mag tube too. When you get it into your hands you will have the ultimate rifle tool for this game. You will never need another.

The really great thing about ordering from LH is that the price will be not much more than other places sell stock guns for. You get hundreds of dollars of aftermarket parts and the world famous LH action job included.

Do not buy a Henry. They are "SASS Legal" but are far from SASS capable. Mine shoots right on target as long as you work the action slowly and methodically.

Call Joe at Pioneer. When you open the box, you are ready to go. They are among the elite. Long Hunter stuff is also first class with good service. Cowboys and Indian is another fine source.

My version with the Pioneer stuff in it is better than Henry or a forever stroke of a 94. You may start wanting fellowship, but after you see a couple of 16 second stages by cross drawing cowboys and girls with slick guns, you will wish you spent a little more and got the first class stuff.

Howdy and Welcome to SASS,

Many of us have tried different rifles as you have read.

But the bottom line the 1873 or the 1866 is the way to go. I had Marlins for many years and was very determine to stay with them, but the Uberti 1873 is truly the way to go.

To save some money, many try just the stock Uberti.

But you heard his name above ( LONG HUNTER ) IS BY FAR THE BEST TO GO WITH.

His true name is Jim Finch, for he is honest to deal with and an artist with weapons. When you touch his work you know who did it.

Deputy King 22910

(Gary Reith)

A lot of people start with '92s. Then after a while they become faster than their rifle. That results in jams, ejecting unfired rounds and a lot of frustration (in other words, not fun stuff). Since you said .357/.38 I would suggest the '73 not the '66. The '73 has a steel receiver and is rated for .357 rounds. It shoots .38s without any problems. The '66 has a brass receiver. It is rated for .38 rounds only.

The short version: 1873's or Marlins are the gun of choice for the vast majority. ;)

The longer version: Nobody makes a living playing this game, so shoot what appeals to you. This might be dictated by wanting to be the fastest gun in town, a certain category you want to shoot, authenticity, or simply what feels best.

Like a lot of folks, I shot my first year with a '92, because it was affordable; a 24" .45 Colt. The next year, I went to a pair of short stroked 24" .44-40 1873's, then tossed in a tricked out 20" '73 in .38-40, then 1866's in .44-40, .38-40, .45 Colt, and .38 spl. Later on came a 24" 1860 Henry .44-40 and a 56-50 Spencer. The last three years or so, I've been on a Marlin kick, shooting a vintage .38-40 SRC, a pair of 1894C .357's, a CBC .38 spl, and a CB .45 Colt. My preference leans toward my tricked out 20" .38-40 1873, or the Marlin CBC. I'd shoot the .38-40 Marlin more, but the barrel is very worn & pitted and 4" groups at 25 yards are as good as it gets - maybe I'll have to check into getting it lined one of these days. I love shooting the Spencer, but they have to switch batteries in the timer halfway through my run. :lol: Starline hasn't made a run of brass in about three years either, so losing a case or two at a match really sucks. B)

Do not buy a Henry. They are "SASS Legal" but are far from SASS capable. Mine shoots right on target as long as you work the action slowly and methodically.

Call Joe at Pioneer. When you open the box, you are ready to go. They are among the elite. Long Hunter stuff is also first class with good service. Cowboys and Indian is another fine source.

My version with the Pioneer stuff in it is better than Henry or a forever stroke of a 94. You may start wanting fellowship, but after you see a couple of 16 second stages by cross drawing cowboys and girls with slick guns, you will wish you spent a little more and got the first class stuff.

You mean a Henry Bog Boy.

My Uberti Henry works fine. :lol:

Yup... the Henry Big Boy is to be avoided... or at least lowest on yer list. Out of the box the action is pretty good, but it's not a replica of any known Henry, and the gun itself can be deemed "unallowable" by various SASS clubs. One local club 'round these parts allows it for the Bukaroos, but not for the older classes. I've heard of other clubs just not allowing it period because loading is done by the muzzle and this is deemed a safety hazard. I shot one a few months back and I wasn't terribly impressed one way or another about it. ...And the loading method just doesn't feel "right." I'm not in this game for period authenticity, but damned if I don't want my lever guns to load like a traditional lever gun from back in the day. ...There are plenty of other reasons why the HBB should be avoided... just search the Wire. ;)

PCS - What's your budget and goal in CAS? Are you on a tight budget, moderate budget, or is money no option? And are you looking to be the fastest you can be, or just to go out and have fun shooting? You're getting suggestions that are ranging all over the place. Not that getting all of this info is bad, but sometimes too much info can muddy the waters (as it were). If we knew the parameters of your quest we could best guide you from there. :)

Yup... the Henry Big Boy is to be avoided... or at least lowest on yer list. Out of the box the action is pretty good, but it's not a replica of any known Henry, and the gun itself can be deemed "unallowable" by various SASS clubs. One local club 'round these parts allows it for the Bukaroos, but not for the older classes. I've heard of other clubs just not allowing it period because loading is done by the muzzle and this is deemed a safety hazard. I shot one a few months back and I wasn't terribly impressed one way or another about it. ...And the loading method just doesn't feel "right."

A club takes it upon themselves to disallow a SASS legal gun?? Do they also disallow the 1860 Henry for the same reason of an "unsafe loading safety hazard"?

My list of rifles in the order I would want.

Marlin

Down the list is the 92.

Anything past that I would just find something else to do.

If you or your wife might do the BW category. Just remember the 73-66 will not work for that category.

I have several SASS rifles, so I'll offer my opinions...

Winchester '73 (.32-20) A great gun. Less expensive than one in .44-40 for some reason. .32-20 is easy to reload, and a surpisingly noisy cartridge. You can't go wrong with a real Winchester, but be prepared to spend at least $1000.00 for one in shootable shape, unless you are either really lucky, or someone has "refinished" it, in which case you can get one for a song.

Winchester '92 (.44 Magnum) Okay, this gun started life as a .44-40 still someone put a new barrell on it. I run .44 Specials through it exclusivley with no problems. I doubt that I'll ever run real .44 Mags through it, I am leary putting them through such an old gun, no matter what the new barrel says. Since this gun has been heavily modified from it's original configuration, I was able to pick it for around 400 bucks. An unmodified original Winchester 92 will again likely run you well over $1000.00. But, for smoothness of action and just plain fun shooting, this gun is hard to beat.

Rossi 92 replica. (.44 Magnum) My original SASS rifle. For SASS shooting, I use .44 Specials with no problems, but would run magnums in it, if the circumstanced warrented. I always thought this was a great little gun with a nice action, until I got my above orginal 92, and discovered that the action is not a smooth as it should be. Even so, it is still usable and I have not bothered to have it slicked up, as I can still do just fine with it. Mine is a pre-safety model, and they can be had on the used market for around $400 or so. I would not get one of the new ones with the abominable safety on them

Armi San Marco 92 replica (.45 Colt) Very pretty rifles. Avoid at all costs. While reasonaly priced, the action was hideous. First time I took it to a shoot, other shooters remarked that it was painful to watch me trying to get this thing to work, and in all honest, it was even more painful to use. Since then, I have had an action job done to it, and it is now as smooth as an original Winchester, maybe more so, and I really like the gun, but on general principle, I loathe the idea of having to have work done on a brand new firearm.

AWA Colt Lightning replica (.45 Colt) If you really want a replica Lightning, this is the only one to get. (AWA. Caliber is up to you) These actually work right out of the box, have really smooth actions, and... Well, I can't say enough good about this gun. I am also faster with it than anything else I have.

Uberti Henry replica (.44-40) These are very nice guns, and they work very well. But, IMO, the Henry is not the gun for a newbie. It takes some getting used to. Loading is different, and depending on how you hold it, you either need to learn to do the "Henry Hop" or use a spacer in the magazine.

That's all I've got at the moment. I can not comment on other makes/models, as I don't have them, but others have, and will continue, to chime in on their experiences.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

A club takes it upon themselves to disallow a SASS legal gun?? Do they also disallow the 1860 Henry for the same reason of an "unsafe loading safety hazard"?

Don't know. And that's a good point. I'm just conveying what I've heard. In truth the disallowing if the HBB for "safety reasons" may just be a convenient work around for animosities over the controversy over the gun. who knows.

Not allowing the HBB struck me as odd as well when I heard of it, but from a usability stand point it's not a great gun. It's not horrible, mind you, but not a stand out rifle either - especially for it's price. You could find a Marlin for about the same price as a HBB.

I will echo others' recommendation: Don't buy anything. Attend a local match and take a look at what other people have. They will probably let you cycle them and perhaps borrow them to shoot a stage. There is nothing like a test drive.

I had done some research before attending my first match and I had a pretty good idea about the type of rifle I wanted to buy. During that match I had a chance to try out several types of rifles. If memory serves, I used a Henry replica, a Winchester '92, a Marlin, a Winchester '66 and a Winchester '73.

By the end of the match I had decided which rifle I wanted to buy. It was NOT the one I thought that I wanted before I tried them out.

If I had it to do all over again I'd just start with a 73 or a 66 made by Uberti. It sells under the name of Uberti, Cimmaron, Taylor and others...bottom line Uberti. I would not run away from a marlin, but would not do the Rossi or Henry thing. Just my two cents.

KK

My thoughts exactly. 92's are a cool gun but just don't work well for cas. Henry Big Boys (made in NY) are also big, heavy and slow. The only way to go is a 73 or 66 Uberti, Marlin is my second choice far behind Uberti's.

Yes it's sad that Winchester or some other US company doesn't make a 66 or 73.:angry: Rye

I would tell you to stay away from Henry Big Boys, '92s, and run from a '94 (super long lever stroke and the design is best suited for bottle necked rifle rounds). Marlins are good starter guns if you get one made before Remington bought the company. That being said if you can find a Spur Marlin, you have a gun that will run with anything out there.

After all that, I now shoot a '73 and love it. When they are set up right they are very hard to beat. And this is coming from a die hard Spur Marlin shooter.

FWIW,

KQ

Archived