SASS Wire Forum

Train under the tree?

With many Saloonist probable considering putting up a Christmas tree around Thanksgiving to Christmas. I was wondering if there might be some interest in a "Train under the Tree" contest? Send a photo or 2. The winner, I will supply, a collectable original 1950s boxed Plasticville Cape Cod house to add to your village etc. under the tree.

If enough interest, I'll re-post and we'll hold a contest. MT

I just got my 1954 Lionel running but it won't be under the tree. Hopefully I'll have it sold by Christmas.

Why Shux, MT... I think that'd be plumb cool! :)

Haven't done it in a looong time, but heck, the Kid (all six foot two if 'im!) and I had thought it'd be fun to do in the new cottage this year. ^_^

Although I do have an old HO set around here somewheres. Hmmmm...

I just got my 1954 Lionel running but it won't be under the tree. Hopefully I'll have it sold by Christmas.

I got a Lionel train from 1948, I was a year old. I think my Dad bought it more for himself than for me. It started of with a Locomotive, coal car and caboose. Every year they added something and when I got older I started getting into it myself. Trips to the hobby shop were addicting! I still have it, it's locmotive #2026. I thought about selling it but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I'll dig it out and take some pics. (It won't be under a tree though cause I don't set up a tree, except for a cereamic tree about a foot and a half high on a table.):lol: Rye

Still got my Lionel set. Think I got it back in 1959 or 1960. Kept everything in the original box, and it went under the tree every year until I got out of high school in 1974. Still has the price tag on it too. My Dad got it at Western Auto for $29, which was the equivalent of about 10 hours pay for him back then.

I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars.

My wife bought me an HO train set years ago, that I never set up for lack of space and then too many dogs and cats. I might have to see if it works, and set it up for the morning.

Virgina and Truckee

Gift from GramaP

My usual tree train is this Virgina and Truckee set. Gracie loves to watch it go round.

last year GramaPhyllis got me a Lionel (sp) set thinking it was better than the Bachmann. I put it up this year to please her. Gracie didn't like it as well...

curley

I got a Lionel train from 1948, I was a year old. I think my Dad bought it more for himself than for me. It started of with a Locomotive, coal car and caboose. Every year they added something and when I got older I started getting into it myself. Trips to the hobby shop were addicting! I still have it, it's locmotive #2026. I thought about selling it but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I'll dig it out and take some pics. (It won't be under a tree though cause I don't set up a tree, except for a cereamic tree about a foot and a half high on a table.):lol: Rye

That, my friend is the essence of 99% of model trains sales.

If I can convince Dad to set mine up (I'm 59 and HE is still in charge of my trains), I'll join in.

LL

My O-scale steam set outgrew the tree years ago. Now it runs around the entire family room and has its own western town complete with a stage coach. I'm still working on the horses and harnesses. Probably have to carve my own driver too.

Anyone got any tips on where to find wagons and horse riders in O scale? I like adding something every year and 19th century steam era items are hard to come by. Nearly all I have is hand made.

Doc(it is nearly time to set it up again)Nelson

Still got my Lionel set. Think I got it back in 1959 or 1960. Kept everything in the original box, and it went under the tree every year until I got out of high school in 1974. Still has the price tag on it too. My Dad got it at Western Auto for $29, which was the equivalent of about 10 hours pay for him back then.

I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars.

You can have mine fer a HALF Million. Heck I'll even deliver it!:lol: Rye

My O-scale steam set outgrew the tree years ago. Now it runs around the entire family room and has its own western town complete with a stage coach. I'm still working on the horses and harnesses. Probably have to carve my own driver too.

Anyone got any tips on where to find wagons and horse riders in O scale? I like adding something every year and 19th century steam era items are hard to come by. Nearly all I have is hand made.

Many of Marx playset firgures, wagons, stagecoaches, etc. even the buildings, are pretty close to scale. MT

My Lionel set that I got in 1950 when I was 5 years old hasn't been run since the early '60's. I've got a buncha HO stuff, and I'm finally in the planning stages for a 4 by 12 foot layout on 2 4X6 modules to be set up in the garage.

My O-scale steam set outgrew the tree years ago. Now it runs around the entire family room and has its own western town complete with a stage coach....

We need to see pictures of that! :)

howdy doc,

ranch-rite corral in grand jct used to carry stuff like that particularly around Christmas. if you want i will check there this week and let you know.

cbj

My grandfather bought a Lionel 027 train set for my dad early in the last century. The cars were made of tin and connected to each other with a hook & latch system that I have seen nowhere else.

My father bought a Lionel Passenger Train setup for me 4 years before I was borne and followed up with a freight train setup over a few years after I was born. It ended up a fairly elaborate setup that was installed on a Ping Pong table for many years, even after I went off to college.

I still have everything but due to limited space it rarely gets setup anymore except for a short while at Xmas. My kids are long grown up and off on their own but grandaughter still enjoys the trains when they are set up. She excells in crashing them!

Warhorse

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I finally got my first youtube video posted. My Christmas train set-up is for the Old West, some of you might find it interesting. I particularly like the final shot, a ride around the track.

Now if the tag works....

Doc Nelson

About ten years ago I got rid of 50 year's worth of HO. Last year Santa brought me a 1950 Marx 027 just like the one I had as a kid of six. It was to go around the tree, but it's taken on a life of it's own.

So far I have a dozen Plasticville structures, two cookie tin buildings, a couple of ceramic Christmas buildings, and a bamboo potpourri house that my daughter bought from a street urchin in LA and a herd if cars and trucks.

Run the contest again next year and she'll be a contender.

Bob, I got one too but from 1948, I was a year old when my father bought it. Locomotive engine # 2026 with a coal car and caboose. Every year he added one car or accessory. When I was 10 or 11 I started adding stuff with my paper route money. I haven't taken it out of the boxes for years now! I was thinkin of sellin it also but it's hard to part with. Rye

Okay, so I finally got my first youtube video posted. My Christmas train set-up is for the Old West, some of you might find it interesting. I particularly like the final shot, a ride around the track.

Now if the tag works....

Doc Nelson

Hell on Wheels! :lol:

Somewhere down stairs, under the boxes of reloading gear, I have two HO trains that I could put under the tree. One is a diesel but that is too modern for this ole Cowboy. I have one of these that would be better, what do you thunk?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=558

Yep!Looks like my G scale Bachmann that doesn't seem to want to stay on the track, but it has the bell type stack :blush:

For some reason, that engine reminded me of when I was a kid, and my Dad would take me to St. Louis to the train terminal to pickup someone. In those days everybody did not take a plane. Most took the train. Well, they still had steamers in those days. It was a while ago. Anyway, this old Union Pacific engine reminded me of him and the fun we had on those trips. It was a different time and place.

Most of the trains in my neighborhood were MOPAC and they used steam engines to haul coal from the strip mines over near Percy, Illinois, to the main line to haul it out to the factories. As a kid it was fascinating to watch those monster engines huff and puff. Much more animated than the diesels.

Archived