SASS Wire Forum

Best Place To Obtain Western Wear For A Family

PCS

Howdy Y'all,

My family is brand new to SASS and we are in the process of outfitting everyone with gear. We think we have the firearms I am going to have to find a part-time job! LOL) done, but we need clothes and leather for my bride and two daughters. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Email:

g.borders@spectruminvestigations.com

First, ask around at your local groups. Likely you will find people who have stuff they don't wear anymore that they would be willing to part with.

Second, check thrift stores in your area.

Third, check eBay. Search 'cowboy' 'cowboy clothing' 'cowboy costume' 'civil war' 'old west' and such.

The best place to outfit the family is to look first in your own closet.

Drag out a pair of full length jeans.

If you don't have a western style shirt, then the local thrift store is a good place to start and almost any western store has inexpensive full length sleeve shirts.

The shoes are a little harder to find but most flat sole boots will work to start. I started out with Wellington's from Walmart.

There - You have a starter outfit. Enjoy the sport/game and add to you "western outfit" as you see fit.

Leather is expensive for the good stuff, but to get started you will need a wide belt for everyone and then purchase some inexpensive holsters that can be slid on it along with a shotgun slide or two. Then you share the leather with the family members.

As you become more proficient and addicted you will be better educated as to what you want specifically and then you can spend your money more wisely.

It is important that you get out and shoot rather than try to outfit a whole family with the "perfect" setup to start.

(And a hell of a lot cheaper)

And be careful. It would be better if you "borrowed" a shotgun for the lady(s) and youngsters as that long stock is going to be uncomfortable for them to shoot. Believe me, the cowgirls will be more than happy to share.

See ya at the range!

Ace

I agree with AoH and check your closet first. I also did a few trips to Goodwill and Thrift stores. If you are headed south to the hill country I would check our Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg (http://www.texasjacks.com/). They have the whole kit and caboodle.

I don't have pics but all my hats were procured from an antique store, gun show, Goodwill and Peters Bros in Fort Worth. The most I paid for my hats is $25 and my favorite one cost $5. My vest, jacket and duster (modified wool trench coat) all came from Goodwill. My persona is a range/drover cowboy. That does not cost a lot of dough to pull off.

Are you planning to shoot in Granbury with the Comanche Valley Vigilantes? They can help you with gear and all.

My $3 Stetson

My Current Attire

My 30yr old bib front shirt

Howdy

I got this Stetson for $3. Had my friend Bob "All Hat" shape it. I have several other hats that are almost as cheap.

In the other pix, I am wearing the same shirt I started out with, it is a Arrow Dress Shirt...I cut the collar off. The material looks old fashioned so I still wear it.

I got a pair of black jeans, and cut off the belt loops and put on Batchlor buttons for suspenders. The vest I got on a close out rack at the last EOT.

You can get patterns if one of you sew. I have a bib front shirt my ex wife made for me 30 years ago.

You can get lots of clothes from the thrift stores.

As for leather, I always suggest folks get some stuff like from Oklahoma Saddlery (belt and 2 holsters for less than $50. That way you can tell what "style" you like then as you can afford it...buy better.

Show us pix of how you progress..

good shootin

curley

curley

Real good folks to deal with :excl:

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store

Welcome to the sickness.....There's ain't no cure......EVER :lol:

Cheers,

LG

I spend a lot of time siftin' through the bargain bin here. I've gotten my Buckerette...er uh....Young Gun (she just had her 14th birthday) a lot of her outfits there....and at a good price, too.

Of course, check out the Goodwill, Thrift Stores, etc. (as well as yer own closet) cuz there's lots of stuff that can be had there for a fraction of the cost. I've also bought used clothing for other SASS shooters who wanted to cut down on their closet space. You'll find that you'll keep your eyes and ears peeled for good bargains a lot now that you've been diagnosed with the disease. :)

Chick

Do they make B-Western socks?

Yes, but I won't wear them. Those rhinestones hurt more than planters warts! :rolleyes:

PCS, are the ladies handy with a sewing machine? Sulters like Buckaroo Bobbins have patterns that make dandy western garb for women. That's an inexpensive route. While men don't seem to mind dressing like grubby trail hands, the ladies like better costumes. They may object to thrift store clothing.

Archived