SASS Wire Forum

Sticky Dial Lock On a Gun Safe

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I have a Cannon brand safe with an S & G dial combination lock. It’s 15 years old and every once and a while it’s hard to turn the dial. I’m sure it needs to be lubricated, but with what? Is regular gun oil OK, or should I use something like graphite used for door locks?

I have a Cannon brand safe with an S & G dial combination lock. It’s 15 years old and every once and a while it’s hard to turn the dial. I’m sure it needs to be lubricated, but with what? Is regular gun oil OK, or should I use something like graphite used for door locks?

I'd use graphite for door locks.

(from S & G website)

Lubricant

Q. What kind of lubrication should I use in my lock?

A. Sargent and Greenleaf is currently using Aeroshell 22 in factory to lube mechanical locks. You can also use Versilube or Gn Metal Paste.

All parts should be wiped thoroughly clean before applying lubicant. Use a thin invisible film for all lubicant points inside all S&G lock cases.

Thanks PW! I'll check to see if I can find any of the products mentioned at Shooter's Warehouse, or anywhere else locally. If not I'll find a source on the web.

All I did with mine was to just spray "mist" the inside of the box where the locking "guts" are.

I used LPS #1 is all.

Before you close and latch that door when done....Work the combo about 5 times to be sure everdangthing is 100%....

Cheers,

LG

Howdy,

One of my favorite uncles used to tinker with pocket watches etc.

He had a little trick for lubricating them.

He would put some Rem gun oil in a shallow little dish and put

the watch next to the dish. The watch would be open exposing the works

but still fully assembled. The watch and oil were put in the direct sunlight

and covered with a clear glass bowl.

The sun would heat the oil and the oil vapor would be absorbed by the dried

lube in the watch. After a day or three he checked the watch and often

it was ready to go.

If not he went to work on it but a lot of folks thought it was great

gettin old pocket watches workd on so cheap or even free.

I dont know your setup on the safe but it made me think of my uncle.

Best

CR

Lumpy,

I'm not inclined to take this lock apart and the LPS #1 spray sounds do-able. I've not heard of LPS #1, is it something that a place like Sportman's Warehouse or a big box home improvement store would carry? Chili, cool idea, but I don't think it will work for my problem.

Heee Haaa TN MONGO.. Ifin you's a Black Powder shooter try some Ballistol Lube.. It works on everything.. :D Just sayin ;)

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Archived